B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.. any help with this would be wonderful!!
I have a 2003 Spec-V... with the following mods:

Nismo Intake/Header without cat/Exhaust...
I am adding a set of cams and short shifter kit. Possibly
removing the Knock Sensor..

Anyway, i want to get an idea of where my car should stand
with these things done.. Any suggestions would also be welcome.
The cams will be expensive but from what I understand a very good
investment for performance. Thanks for the help in advance.

Tyler

·
Engaged! :)
2,687 Posts
Why not get it put on a dyno ....that would be a pretty accurate test :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
being honest, its not an option where I am from.. People who have them
are not accurate.

I am just curious.. even if anyone doesn't have numbers, just maybe discribe
the difference they felt when they made the changes... I really am curious
of how dramatic the difference would be..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an '04 SE-R Spec V with NisMo CAI and Headers w/o cat. converter but no cat-back exaust and i only ran 16 flat but then agian i also missed 3rd gear (you can see all my #'s under time slips)...hopefully i'll have some good numbers because wed. is my local tracks test n tune day and i'll hopefully break the 15's and get between 14.5-14.9 e.t.'s at about 95mph ... hope this helps but it'll help more if i rip a good run tomorrow ... i'll post it up later

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea I look forward to your new results, i guess i forgot about a pulley...
thats probably something else i will add too.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
first off.....I don't think dynoing is as accurate as we think it is!!!
second off....thats it

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
assuming good driving, and that your track is close to sea level, i'd guess with I/H/E your running a 14.6-14.9 depending on your 60 foot time. and don't waste your money on nismo cams, buy the JWT cams, they are more aggressive. and if you remove the knock sensor, the ECU will pull your timing by several degrees and you'll be a lot slower then before. you need to ground your knock sensor (search for knock sensor relocation)
but why don't you just go to the track?????

·
Registered
78 Posts
MAN...i hate the shifter that is in the spec v in the 2004 model ... the best i got it was 15.67 @91mph ... i cant remember if i missed 2nd or 3rd but it was one of them and all i got is Nismo CAI and Nismo headers with your exaust should boost you e.t. a lil bit too but dont go to the track without your short shifter TRUST ME!! but you should be able to break 15's and run 14.6-14.9 depending on conditions and what not

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
Chad3388 said:
MAN...i hate the shifter that is in the spec v in the 2004 model ... the best i got it was 15.67 @91mph ... i cant remember if i missed 2nd or 3rd but it was one of them and all i got is Nismo CAI and Nismo headers with your exaust should boost you e.t. a lil bit too but dont go to the track without your short shifter TRUST ME!! but you should be able to break 15's and run 14.6-14.9 depending on conditions and what not
Sorry to say but you just cant shift. I can powershift the hell out of my stock shifter and RARELY ever miss a gear. The 04 has a slightly better shifter than the 02-03 cars. There are many guys in the mid 14's with stock shifters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
since i still have the stock 03 shifter would you guys say getting the
short shifter would be pretty important to take advantage of all of my upgrades?

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
It will help but like I said allready there are many guys going mid 14's or better with the stock shifter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran a 15.1 with only a Nismo CAI in my 04' SpecV. The shifter isn't a problem once you get use to it. I powershift and my RPM's only go up about 200rpm's between shifts. Now only if I can get it to get traction in second and third...although, to chirp the tires in third at the track is kinda pimp IMO :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chirping third is no sweat, sometimes i spin 2-3 seconds into 3rd. I've chirped fourth :)

I personally think cams are a waste of money. $700 6-8whp. Pfffft my $370 nitrous kit netted me 50-90whp gain from 3000-6200rpms depending on the jet size i use. if you have the money put that 700 towards a turbo kit and dont worry aabout bottle pressure or n2o refills/.

·
Hater
907 Posts
Kepler04SpecV said:
Now only if I can get it to get traction in second and third...although, to chirp the tires in third at the track is kinda pimp IMO :D
Er....where you are, chirping the tires in a 15-second(not 12-second, mind you) car is "kinda pimp"? :eek:

You sure the "somebody's dad" in the next lane making faster runs in his bone stuck family car with the babyseat in the back doesn't call into question/re-evaluation any and all things pimp? :D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
how fast? i'm guessing about 130-140 MPH....but the question is...how quickly can you get there?

19s are definately a draw back :D....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
read about it...its inaccurate on computerized vehicles...not saying its WAY off just not as accurate as we think....there is an article somewhere on here that discusses the problems with it....I've never done it and don't know much about it..just don't see it being as accurate....

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
i'd have to agree. there just so many variables with the numbers that the dyno's put down. there are so many types, and if the tech doesn't know wtf he's doing then that screws up the results. hell even track times are hard to compare: one track might be higher in elevation, plus some track slopes down some giving higher trap speeds. the only way to know if a car is faster then another is to race heads up.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
SpecVracer315 said:
the only way to know if a car is faster then another is to race heads up.
that really doesnt say alot.. there are alot more variables in this.. like traction. driver smoothness.. driver skill.. driver timing..

POWER output which is what is measured by a dyno is the object of big importance to how much output a car has..

rule of thumb is if you measure your car on a dyno try to go back to the same shop each time.. that way your never varying too much.. Dynojet 248c machines are very decent about being uniform from some locations to another... the simple way to do this is to pay attention to drumweight..

alot of sites ive dynod at have them listed on there website..

btw.. its real hard for a 248c dyno tech to **** up a dyno..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts