B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys i have a quick posted note about replacing the tranny fluid for my spec... its says in the manual book that it needs to replace the fluid for 30k. but now, mine has 30304miles i just wondering that somebody could give a lil hint or tips to change...... and how to do it step by step and also ive heard that redline fluid is good for trannies??? so hopefully someone could give me a link to redline website and order the best stuff the suits my spec needs


thanks for you help
 

·
Vibrant Blue Army
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
you need to mix different weights of oils to get the proper weight....mt-90 and mtl redline fluids are good mix....
bust out that owners manual for more specifics....

directions:
undo allen bolt, drain fluid, replace bolt, stick tube into fill hole, fill, close.

do a search for this procedure and you will find pictures and info....SEARCH!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
Screw the mix.. im throwing in 2.8 quarts of mt-90
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
You don't HAVE to mix. I didn't on my first change and it was perfectly fine for the last 30K. This last change I did I mixed them and to tell the truth shifts felt better with straight MT-90.

Draining and refilling the tranny is about as easy as an oil change. Refilling can be a bit of a pain just because of where the fill hole is.
 

·
Theory freak learning...
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
Well you CAN mix both MTL and MT-90 to obtain a more closed viscosity recommended by Nissan. But it also depend alot with the temperature in your area during the year and of your type of usage.

I've done myself 1qt MTL and 1½qt MT-90 and in summer it's perfect but in winter, the tranny will be hard to shift until the car is full warm... but we have cold winter too here :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how many basically quarts do i need to get or to put for me to change the tranny fluid though is it 4, 2 , or 3...... and where can i get redline and what does mtl means and Mt90
 

·
Back for More
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
specVracing said:
Screw the mix.. im throwing in 2.8 quarts of mt-90
Wrong mix dude.

You specifically asked for the proper mix, and now you are going to [email protected] it anyway.

Considering the issues people have had with our gearbox, I would go by the recommendation of Redline themselves, which is a 50/50 mix of MTL to MT-90


Also, the tranny only holds 2.3 liters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
eastsidahboy said:
so how many basically quarts do i need to get or to put for me to change the tranny fluid though is it 4, 2 , or 3...... and where can i get redline and what does mtl means and Mt90
Final Answer...the right answer:

Get 3 Quarts:
2 MT-90
1 MTL

Fill until the fill hole starts to overflow then cap it quickly. Start with the first quart of MT-90, then the MTL, then the MT-90 again. You may be able to get all 3 quarts in, I did on my first change. On my second change I got not quite all 3 quarts in. Just make sure its full and overflowing a bit.
 

·
makin' money
Joined
·
387 Posts
jpalm said:
Final Answer...the right answer:

Get 3 Quarts:
2 MT-90
1 MTL

Fill until the fill hole starts to overflow then cap it quickly. Start with the first quart of MT-90, then the MTL, then the MT-90 again. You may be able to get all 3 quarts in, I did on my first change. On my second change I got not quite all 3 quarts in. Just make sure its full and overflowing a bit.


I will be doing the same later today. If ups comes today with my dam oil :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
Joe M said:
Wrong mix dude.

You specifically asked for the proper mix, and now you are going to [email protected] it anyway.

Considering the issues people have had with our gearbox, I would go by the recommendation of Redline themselves, which is a 50/50 mix of MTL to MT-90


Also, the tranny only holds 2.3 liters.

I'm not going to have any detremental problems because I didnt use any MTL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
jpalm said:
Final Answer...the right answer:

Get 3 Quarts:
2 MT-90
1 MTL

Fill until the fill hole starts to overflow then cap it quickly. Start with the first quart of MT-90, then the MTL, then the MT-90 again. You may be able to get all 3 quarts in, I did on my first change. On my second change I got not quite all 3 quarts in. Just make sure its full and overflowing a bit.
Dude, perfect. My car fit 3 quarts also..1xMTL + 2xMT-90. Feels better to shift now. There was a thread on this somewhere,....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
specVracing said:
I'm not going to have any detremental problems because I didnt use any MTL.
No, but in the winter with you being up north your shifter is gonna get stiff until it warms up. The first time I changed mine I used only MT-90 and you can notice on cold mornings that the shifter is a bit stiff until it gets warmed up. Remember, I'm in GA so we have pretty mild winters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well thanks for all the replies... but do you guys know if there is any link i could use to buy or order the redline oil??? i actually have the site already but i forgot what it is
 

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
quick question.. i got a se and my tranny was replaced about 20k miles ago... they would use new tranny fluid right? not replace it with the old stuff?! i hope!
 

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
jpalm said:
They'd have to. Unless they put a bucket to catch it all and put it back in!! :rolleyes:
and knowing nissan techs, i wouldnt doubt that... when i installed my header i was missing 2 bolts AND the other 4 i could undo by hand... talk about crappy nissan worksmanship...
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top