B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
i recently bled my sentra's brakes for the first time., and i had asked around before i actually did it. the procedure is:
Remove the dirty brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir with an oil pump or turkey baster then fill it back up with new fluid. Close the lid and have a friend get in the driver seat and pump the brakes a few times slowly until the pedal gets stiff. Now, go to the left, front brake caliper and open the bleeder screw and at the same time have your friend push down on the pedal, once the pedal is all the way down, close the bleeder screw. It's important that the brake pedal stays all the way down until you have closed the bleeder screw. Repeat this procedure until the fluid looks clean (should take about 3-5 times).
*IMPORTANT* Check the brake fluid reservoir every 3-4 times you open and close the bleeder valves to make sure it doesn't run dry and add new fluid as needed.

The bleeder valves on the front calipers will require a 10mm wrench, and will be facing the front of the behicle, and the rear drums will be 8mm and be on the back of the drum facing the opposite side of the vehicle. (I'm not sure about rear discs because i have a sentra gxe)

i dont have pictures but theres not much you would need to see because these steps should explain it all.

edit: the procedure should go from the brakes closest to master cylinder to the farthest. that would be front left, front right, rear left, rear right.

·
Swagnificent
540 Posts
paperboy42190 said:
edit: the procedure should go from the brakes closest to master cylinder to the farthest. that would be front left, front right, rear left, rear right.
:mad:
You sir couldn't be more wrong!:eek: I wont be the last to tell you that you should bleed the furthest first, that being the right rear, then left rear, right front, and left front last. Good advice about siphoning out the old fluid though. I'd be surprised that you bleed job worked if that's how you did it!

Check it yourself.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
hmm, well i heard both orders(from farthest to closest, and closest to farthest), but i thought going from closest to farthest made more sense because the clean brake fluid would reach there first, and eventually work all through the brake lines to the farthest one. am i really that wrong on this? =/

·
Registered
336 Posts
2001se2.0 said:
:mad:
You sir couldn't be more wrong!:eek: I wont be the last to tell you that you should bleed the furthest first, that being the right rear, then left rear, right front, and left front last. Good advice about siphoning out the old fluid though. I'd be surprised that you bleed job worked if that's how you did it!

Check it yourself.....

he rite, if u did it on how the first guy did it u get a lot of air!!! rr,lr,rf,lf is how it done........work in a shop and im ase.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The only time you wouldn't need to bleed the brakes is if you never opened any part of the system. If you replace the lines you have to bleed, If you disconnect any brake line you have to bleed them. Also if you're doing this alone get a bleeder kit from autozone/discount. it's a hand pump that sucks the fluid out. Most people say to make sure you don't empty out the reservoir on the master cylinder, and last but not least start from the farthest point and work your way closer like what's been said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only time you wouldn't need to bleed the brakes is if you never opened any part of the system. If you replace the lines you have to bleed, If you disconnect any brake line you have to bleed them. Also if you're doing this alone get a bleeder kit from autozone/discount. it's a hand pump that sucks the fluid out. Most people say to make sure you don't empty out the reservoir on the master cylinder, and last but not least start from the farthest point and work your way closer like what's been said.
What do you do is you emptied the master cylinder?

I had the line off the left front brake and the master cylinder emptied. I refilled and do not seem to have any air out that bleeder. But the pedal still does not seem hard. It also seems like it will not pump up.

How do I bleed the whole system?

I will try looking up changing the master cylinder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay guys. I see a lot of information on this thread from folks who seem to have not read - or misread - the Nissan service manual for Sentra. For bleeding the brakes it says, "Bleed the air in the following order: front right brake→ front left brake → rear right brake → rear left brake." Assuming Nissan knows their stuff about their cars, no one gets the grand prize for accuracy. I agree that it seems backwards and is the opposite of what I expected. Regardless, I'll go with what Nissan says on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay guys. I see a lot of information on this thread from folks who seem to have not read - or misread - the Nissan service manual for Sentra. For bleeding the brakes it says, "Bleed the air in the following order: front right brake→ front left brake → rear right brake → rear left brake." Assuming Nissan knows their stuff about their cars, no one gets the grand prize for accuracy. I agree that it seems backwards and is the opposite of what I expected. Regardless, I'll go with what Nissan says on this one.
I was able to bleed the brakes in this order and it worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts