B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK for you peoples that live where it snows in winter, this will be my first time storing a car, what are the steps on how to store a car for the winter? Or what can I do for example with insurance and all that stuff........

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well, if you don't own the car, the bank will want you to carry full coverage. Call your insurance company, and let them know you intend to store the vehicle, and for how long.

Change the oil and filter, and top off the gas. Get some sort of gas treatment at your local autozone and put it in the tank. Fill your tires up with air. If you have radial tires, you shouldn't have to worry too much about flat spots. Get a small bag of charcoal and a few disposable pie tins. Fill each tin with charcoal and set them on each floor mat. This will act as a dessicant, and absorb a lot of the musty odors. I recommend that you wash and wax prior to all of this. If you can afford a good car cover, get one. If not, just invest in a California Car Duster.

Start the car about twice a month, and let it warm up. Turn the heater on high for a few minutes to circulate the engine coolant . Turn the A/C on for about five minutes, then shut it down. This keeps your seals lubricated, and prevents from having to get your system charged in the spring. Other than that, you should be good to go for the winter.

Edit: Remove the battery!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
ZixxSpeed,

Check out this thread:

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66248&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

That will give you some good advice on storing the car. There is a great post on the 2nd page ;)

As for insurance you let them know that you have taken the car off the road. Then you can drop your collision coverage and just pay for your comp coverage. Trust me it should be CHEAP! I had to turn my plates into the DMV in order to get a card to prove that my car was off the road. My insurance required the card from the DMV. But I get shiny new plates every year for free.

Also most leases won't let you take your car off the road and/or cancle the collision at any time. So if you lease check on that first!

As I said in the thread that I linked if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hope this helps.

·
f0rum z0mbie
781 Posts
I don't know about a car, but when I store my motorcycle I have to do these things:

1.)Fill the gas tank as full as possible, add some sta-bil gas treatment. Start the car for about 2 minutes to get the sta-bil to go through the entire engine.

2.)Change the oil

3.)Remove spark plugs and poor oil in the cylinders. Then put a towel or something over the holes and crank the engine a few times to distribute the oil in the chambers. Then put the spark plugs back in.

4.)Remove the battery and do a slow charge on it once a month.

5.)Fill radiator with 50/50 antifreeze mixture.

6.)Put the bike up on stands and remove about 10psi from the tires.

Once again, this is how I do my motorcycle, but I think that you're trying to avoid the same thing with a car (rust/condensation in the gas tank - rust in the cylinders).

As far as insurance goes, I can't help you there. I know I get a discount on my motorcycle insurance though since I store it for a few months.

·
blah......
757 Posts
I didn't exactly store my car...but it was without a transmission for 6 month(5 months longer than expected).. I didnt do anything to it.....threw the trans back in she started right up... if its going in a garage you probaby dont need to do much too it... I knwo alot of guys that go in Deployment to 5-6 months ar a time.. they never do anything to their cars.. and there fine

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guys...

·
Man-Whore
1,454 Posts
don't just start the car and let it run. Go out and drive it for 30 to 45 minutes on the highway on a dry clean day.

And depending on how long you store it, it might be a good idea not to have the car on it's wheels... but jacked with the wheels resting on bricks or something.
Saves your tires and your shocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts