B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sentra GXE wanted to know the biggest dimensions with smallest change in total size i was looking at
17/40/215's? is that too big?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yea i forgot to ask?

how come people say that if u go to 17's you'll loose power? i thought is was just thatu go up a rim size down a tire size and the total size would loose power?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The reason you lose power with 17s is because they tend to weigh a lot, so the engine has to push more to get the car up to speed. That's why everybody wants really light rims.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Sentra2KGXE said:
i have a sentra GXE wanted to know the biggest dimensions with smallest change in total size i was looking at
Well, what size are your stockers? I know with my stock 195 55R16's, the biggest I would be able to go is 205 45R17's to keep the total diameter as close as stock as possible. There's tons of wheel guides to help you purchase the right size, may I suggest two?

Discount Tire Co./American Tire Co.

The Tire Rack

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Sentra2KGXE said:
To answer this question that's the exact size I am running,,,so yes they would fit:)

·
Registered
816 Posts
you can go with 215/45/17 or if you want 18" rims, then you can put on 215/40/18. But as they said, it will make your car feel more sluggish and your braking and handling will be affected, ESPECIALLY with heavy *** 18's. As you increase the unsprung weight and increase the rotational inertia (cuz you're moving more of the weight of the rim to the outside of the wheel), your car's performance will be affected negatively.

So even if you get a 16" rim that weighs the same as a 17" rim, the 16 will still theoretically perform better because the mass of the 17" rim is half an inch farther out from the center than the 16" rim which has an exponential effect on the rotational inertia. I forget the formula but look it up in your physics textbook. I burned mine after that class. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
"radium" john -- **exactly what I was thinkin :)** (Riiiiggghhhht) LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts