Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Well, the Gen 6 is finally going to see the light of day, for anyone who is interested...:cool:

Click here for more info.
http://www.hotshot.com/main.htm

Thanks, and I'll be back here Monday to answer any questions, or you can email me at [email protected] or call the office (626) 303-0076

Thanks again

John Spangler
Hotshot Performance, Inc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Yes, SR20.

John
Hotshot

·
200,000?
1,448 Posts
i was going to say, skipping a few GENs on the QR header? :D

·
Registered pill popper
121 Posts
i'm getting one!
what are the HP/TQ gains??

-eddie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why do you need vehicle registration to purchase a header?

In order to confirm your order, you must print this form, fill it out and either mail , e-mail or fax it to us. In addition, a copy of your vehicle registration will be required. Any order missing any of this information will not be processed.
Possible invasion of privacy? This would provide any state (California for one) that requires CARB legal parts to have a list of all owners of a non-CARB legal "RACE" header.

Might need a little more explanation to potential buyers than
Dear customer, due to the ongoing situation involving counterfeit and unauthorized "copies" of many of our products, we've been forced to take extreme measures to protect our reputation and our products until we can finally resolve this problem.
Just my thoughts as I found it odd that I have never been required to provide a copy of my registration for purchase of performance parts.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
A company or two flat out stole the design of one of Hotshots headers. They made cheap (and cheaply made) copies and have been selling them ever since. Hotshot is doing everything in their power to prevent this from happening again. They are taking actions to track each header with a serial number and they are requireing a copy of your registration to pove that you are indeed the owner of an Sr20 powered vehicle. On top of this some @ssclowns on other forums threatened to steal the new header design anyway!

So you can thank the companies who stole the other header design as well as internet idiots for the new requirments for buying the new gen header.

I am not a spokesperson for Hotshot, I am just trying to explain to you the reasoning behind all of this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
cburwell said:
A company or two flat out stole the design of one of Hotshots headers. They made cheap (and cheaply made) copies and have been selling them ever since. Hotshot is doing everything in their power to prevent this from happening again. They are taking actions to track each header with a serial number and they are requireing a copy of your registration to pove that you are indeed the owner of an Sr20 powered vehicle. On top of this some @ssclowns on other forums threatened to steal the new header design anyway!

So you can thank the companies who stole the other header design as well as internet idiots for the new requirments for buying the new gen header.

I am not a spokesperson for Hotshot, I am just trying to explain to you the reasoning behind all of this.
amen brother!!

i personally hope that this design doesnt get jacked again...definately extreme measures, but not without reasoning...they dont want to lose a ton of money on someone stealing their design again.

i only wish you guys could sue OBX for blatently copying your previous design D:

·
Rotary GURU
537 Posts
My Hotshot header is cracking at the flange/piping interface on one of the pipes. Closest to the drivers side.

Is this covered under warranty? Could I just get it fixed?

What is different about this 6th gen version?

cheers

·
Registered
631 Posts
BlueSE-R_SpecV said:
What happens to those who owen non-registered race cars?
the car still has to be registered to run at most tracks...its just registered as a track-only car, not legally allowed to be driven on the streets.

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
3,180 Posts
ummm this will do NOTHING to prevent the theft of an idea.. all a company has to do is buy ONE header and remake the design again... and im sure with the amount of SE's nationwide someone from a company can pull a reg. # especially a sponsored vehicle that testing or parts are used for...

·
3,180 Posts
so props to HS for making a new design and trying to prevent the copying (i would) but this is not the way to go about... with all the geniuses over there they should be able to do something else

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
2KBlackSE said:
so props to HS for making a new design and trying to prevent the copying (i would) but this is not the way to go about... with all the geniuses over there they should be able to do something else
I agree... this will do nothing except for annoy potential buyers. Any company wanting to steal the design would still be able to purchase it through an SE owner...

That being said.. I know I wouldn't be sending a copy of my registration to a company, so I guess I'll stick to my current header.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Would it be easier for Hotshot to patent the header or something? Or would it cost scripts as well as time to accomplish this?

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
^^usually a patent is the way to go when trying to keep people from stealing your designs and plus it lasts like 10 years and you can get an extension too, that seems like the best way to go. as someone said- registration would have nothing to do with stopping bootleggers

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
The problem is it costs money to patent something.. and more money to defend the patent in court should someone rip off the idea/design anyway.. and its difficult to enforce patents on items produced in some countries (China anyone?).. all of these things add to the cost of the product.. and on an item such as this where the distribution/production is fairly limited it would make said item basically unaffordable.

I don't fault the guys at HotShot for trying what they can to protect thier design while keeping the price of the item as reasonable as possible. If you don't like thier policy.. dont buy the item.. if you want it bad enough you'll do what it takes to get it plain and simple. I don't know about you but I'd rather show them my registration and get the piece for a normal price than have it cost 3 times as much and not be worth the money.

·
3,180 Posts
a patent for a header regardless of price, will pay for itself easily with the sales and reputation of hotshot, so i dont buy that for a second. As far as taking a company to court, yeah that costs money but u get it all back in the end if ur case is proven. Bottom line is HS requiring vehicle registration for a $600 part i think is a little over-the-top. It is ONLY a header not a full engine or anything. AND all (no names) a company has to do is purchase it through an SE owner and then replicate it and make ONE minor change and it is no longer a direct copy. Therefor, i am happy with my header now and see no need to upgrade to a Gen 6 for $600 and copy my registration. Ill wait till the Gen10 so i dont have to lay out $600 a year :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
cburwell said:

Just as the others stated. This has nothing to do with prevention of design theft. It has to do with customer annoyance. There is absolutely NO reason HS should be asking for valid vehicle registration. Are they now working for the state bureau of motor vehicles?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
nismopc said:
Just as the others stated. This has nothing to do with prevention of design theft. It has to do with customer annoyance. There is absolutely NO reason HS should be asking for valid vehicle registration. Are they now working for the state bureau of motor vehicles?
You really don't understand what I am saying then. By requiring that you provide your vehicle registration you are proving that you are indeed the owner of and SR20 powered vehicle. You can easily tell what type of vehicle a car is by looking at the VIN, and the registration would just provide further proof. By have buys supply their registration Hotshot is just making it harder for "those companies" to steal their design.

There is currently a patent pending on this design.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.