B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fricken god am I mad!!

So, here I am installing my Hotshot CAI tonight. I've got the hole enlarged, and begin assembling the intake pieces. That's when all the problems start.

First, The upper tube is a "marginal" fit at best. The bend isn't right, and the PCV hose has to be stretched to get anywhere near fitting right. The rear vacuum line fitting is too small, and the hose slips right off of it. Alright, I can deal with that, and I get everything more or less where it should be. I can put tape around the fitting to make it larger. Why I am willing to deal with such an inferior product is beyond me.....But it gets worse!

Second, The MAF adapter plate holes are drilled wrong!! I mean, one hole isn't even close! I can't install the adapter plate to the MAF housing. How this thing got out of their shop is beyond me. Obviously, they have no quality control to speak of.

Remember, this is the SECOND intake Hotshot has sent me. The first one was fscked up too!! I am convinced now that Hotshot has NO IDEA what they are doing.

Now I have a car that doesn't run, and an intake that I am not able to install on the car. I'm not even sure if it is going to fit at all because there is something wrong with the upper tube. The pipe almost contacts the strut housing. That doesn't seem right to me.

Hotshot has completely lost any hope of getting my business in the future. I am gonna ream Robert a new *** hole tomorrow morning when their shop opens. This is totally unacceptable.

I don't want to spend the next couple hours trying to get the damn stock intake put back on. So, I have to bum a ride to work tomorrow.

I was also supposed to have my car dyno'd on Sunday to see how much HP the intake was making. Well, it makes ZERO HP, because my car isn't even running!!!! Hotshot has screwed up my entire weekend.

I DO NOT recommend that anyone buy anything from Hotshot. My experience with them has been nothing short of Horrific! Buy the Place Racing CAI, and don't buy the headers from them either. If they ever do make them, they are bound to be screwed up also.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
623 Posts
hey dood, calm down... john, the owner test fitted their cai on my car last week. he didnt have to do any mods to the intake except for the hole for the air temp sensor and thats y my car was in there for.
for the pcv hose, there we a few diff ones that came with the kit and one of them was offset on one end.
the mas sensor plate, the holes are it are not square, thats from nissan... one side is wider than the other, so u have to turn it around to get it to line up.
and what was wrong with the 1st intake they sent u? and when did they ship this one out? maybe they sent it to u b4 they did the fitment check with me.
and for their headers, trust me... they will be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That sounds like a pretty bad experience. I really hate when companies mess things up for you. I used to thik Hotshot was a great company but now I am starting to lose faith. Ever since this whole CAI thing. They are going to have to do a lot of improvements to win some of this boards confidence back. I haven't heard any absolutely outstanding experiences about this whole CAI thing. I do however think you should give them a chance to fix it. You should call them tommorow and let them know what happened. If they truly are a good place they should rush to do anything to fix the wrong. If he blows you off, then I would get really pissed.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Registered
169 Posts
just be civil with them on the phone. if you get pissed of at them it won't help the situation... Try messing arround with it some more.. you may just be looking at it the wrong way... do you have a bud that can help you out??

hmmm that over priced K&N from stillen is starting to look a little more attractive...

doc

·
Registered
816 Posts
sorry to hear that max. Try what chino said. The MAF isn't a square so try it on all sides.

Honestly, aside from the temp sensor hole (which was really easy to drill), my CAI fit with no probs. Dag, you seem to be getting screwed by them pretty badly though. I'm sure it's not on purpose.

But I can totally see where you're coming from. If I had as many problems as you had with hotshot, I wouldn't do business with them either. Hope everything works out but remember, try to be patient...we are kinda like the guinea pigs for the aftermarket B15 world :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Damn I am really sorry about that man. I had no problems whatsoever with my Hotshot CAI. I did notice that there is a couple of ways u can set up the MAF plate, and the lower intake tube as well, the fitment of the upper intake tube was perfect in my car. must be an automatic thing. I think patience is the key word here, but maybe one of the employees messed up and sent the wrong tubes. I have the Gen I tubes and they look and work great. I have always loved HotShot and their products, and this is really not swaying me to even slightly dislike them, I would be very dissapointed if that happened to be but I am not in your position so I wont say a thing. I was overall extremely pleased with their product(CAI). sorry if I am making it worse.

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust(on its way over here), and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in a couple of weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
623 Posts
also, they sent the the cai outs b4 they did the fitment test wit me was b/c u guys kept on pushing them for it. and the other guy who was suppose to do the fitmnet test ****ed them over, so they had no choice but to send them out since everyone was calling about them.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
thats suck bro....... when we were installing my intake.... the MAF plate fit a little off.... but it worked.... just gotta have the sensor tube facing the right way. My install only took 30 min.... about an hour since we had to widen the hole after i did the install.... its was pretty smooth though..... take a look at my pics and see if that help you any. It sucks to hear that your CAI doesnt fit right..... geez.

Hope the pics help.... you should also change your stock clamps to screw clamps.... they tighten and hold the tube better.... the tape on the sensor isnt going to work... I did that the first time... the tape slips and the tube will slip off.... might make your engine service light go off... so use a screw clamp... I took pics of all the things i thought you should see so I hope it helps.

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - Hotshot Cold Air Intake - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter - Smoke Side Markers
SDsr20de858 pics

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chinoworld:
they sent the the cai outs b4 they did the fitment test wit me was b/c u guys kept on pushing them for it. and the other guy who was suppose to do the fitmnet test ****ed them over, so they had no choice but to send them out since everyone was calling about them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW, since 3/00, i had 3 PR CAI's until it was completely corrected. russ just got his B pipe in this last week and he's had his for awhile, too.

i totally agree. Just call John and keep your cool. I went thru the same thing with PR when i ordered the CAI in March of 2000. Chances are, he just sent the wrong MAF adapter plate. The 2K MAF plates are squared. (74 or 75mm, can't remember, from center of mounting hole to center of mounting hole. same MAF as on the Maxima) As i learned from my experience with PR, getting impatient, frustrated and pissy only adds fuel to the fire. Take a few clicks back and relax. John will correct you fitment problems, or at least send you the right MAF adapter. As far as the intake breather tube, don't use the OEM clamp that is on the hose. se a small hose clamp you can adjust the tightness on. They're like $0.25 ea. You can always get a 1 ft. section of hose to replace the stock PCV hose. (3/4 or 7/8, can't recall...like $0.99)

not trying to get on your ***, max. just let your frustrations with this situation subside and call john and explain your fitment issues. if the fitment has been corrected, I'm SURE he will send you the correct peices.

------------------
MY PAGE

[This message has been edited by 2000SE (edited March 23, 2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the MAF plate is square. I tried rotating it every which way, with no luck. This morning we redrilled it to make it work. Once I got that fixed, I ran into the next problem.

The Temperature sensor hole that hotshot drilled is in the wrong place! The wire won't reach! I thought maybe I had the tube upside down, but there is no way it is going to fit going the other direction. Yet another example of Hotshot Engineering....or lack there of. :rolleyes:

Also, how far down does your tube extend beyond the fenderwell? Mine goes WAAAY down. Almost too far to get the filter to fit.

The upper tube isn't right either. The coupler is semi-transparent, and I can see that the hotshot tube isn't seating flush all the way around with the throttle body housing. It's crooked. I tried to get it to sit flush, but it ends up being rotated wrong, and pointing too far down.

I am beginning to wonder if I have a B14 intake. Nothing about this intake seems to be right. The weird thing is that it is the same as the first intake they sent me. The bends are identical.

I hope everyone else got a better intake than I did. This one is a piece of junk. Meanwhile, I still have no useable car, and it doesn't look like I can even make this intake work.

If I sound mad. I AM!! I think I have every right to be. I waited 6 weeks for this part, and then 1 additional week for the replacement. I am now on week 8 and STILL don't have anything that works!

------------------
MODS:
- Hotshot CAI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to Robert this morning after I posted. I now have to send this intake back to him along with pictures of how it looked when installed.

Well, that's fine and dandy. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? It's gonna be the better part of 2 weeks before I get a new part back. I think I'm gonna start calling some other intake companies today.

------------------
MODS:
- Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
hey Maxx,,,

Place Racing
telephone# 626-334-3345
e-mail [email protected]
web address www.PlaceRacing.com

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i hope you dont get slapped with a 15% restocking fee :mad:

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - Hotshot Cold Air Intake - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter - Smoke Side Markers
SDsr20de858 pics

1 - 15 of 15 Posts