B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pin Boot on rear brake caliper has a tiny hole. Pin Boot part is only available in the caliper sealant kit which is bout $40+
Any ideas on patching this up? Friend suggested very small amount of rubber cement used on tire repair.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are you referring to the boot over the bleeder valve, or the actual caliper piston?

If it is the boot on the bleeder valve, it is not a huge deal. You could probably leave it alone and be fine. You may be able to find a cap at a junk yard or an auto parts store (Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc..).

Dan

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Its #38

Ignore the red circles, I used this same pic on a previous thread.

If you can't find #38, look between the two red circles and go up. It's there.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
so wait the caliper pin boot has a hole in it.. that is item that is simply for lubrication. patching it may be ok.. however if there is alot of grease coming out tof the boot. i would suggest replacing it with the kit you mentioned..

is it an actual tear??

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SR20dee said:
so wait the caliper pin boot has a hole in it.. that is item that is simply for lubrication. patching it may be ok.. however if there is alot of grease coming out tof the boot. i would suggest replacing it with the kit you mentioned..

is it an actual tear??
Pin boot's purpose is to help compress the pad on the other side where the piston dont touch. So as my pad wears down, the pin boot will be compressing more and more, and eventually, the boot will compress more. I was looking for more suggestions as to what I can use besides rubber cement to patch it, cuz I dont know much bout the rubber cement, and if that stuff gets to hard, I may be in trouble. Its a small hole, but like I said, eventually grease will leak out.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
i know what you mean to say.. and yes not having any grease in the boot would be a bad thing.. a rubber patch repair kit is not going to mean didly squat.. especially as the pad wears down.. it may be more worth it in the long run to replace it with a new one..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts