B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oooooh boy!!!! you want a cat back with a hefty sound.... this is the cat-back to get..... sounds so good....... a little loud but not too bad.....

finally

stage one complete!

HS CAI
HS Headers
HKS Super Dragger

gotta love it

·
Chesse Curd Connoisseur
1,121 Posts
What does it sound like? I'm torn on which to get. Afraid that the HK$ has that damn "Pissed off bumble bee" sound.

·
Registered
268 Posts
woohoo way to go...come on post us some pic...:)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine arrives on friday!!!! :D I was hoping it wouldn't be REAL loud but yeah well! Hey, is there a big and noticeable power gain?

G

·
You Doubt HK$??

Hey, it's an HK$!! Of course it makes HUGE HP. It's all that R&D work that they put into their systems. Don't ever let anyone tell you to accept anything less than the best. Don't worry about that mild steel construction...the rust holes will just make it flow better! Just think of the rust as being "broken in." They better have an angled muffler on that too. Nothing makes me happier than seeing some ****-eyed grapefruit cannon sticking out of the bumper. :D

Good going guys! Post pics ASAP. I can't wait to see the first B15 sellout.

·
Registered
119 Posts
maxximtl, whats your problem? A company is making more aftermarket parts for the sentra (which definatly needs more people making parts for it) and the first thing you do is *****. Why not just be happy?

BTW-> Do you have a Stromung? If you do, thats probably why you are mad. IMO that system is a ripoff. Sure, its full stainless, but do you REALLY need that? I've had cars w/ cheap exhausts last over 2 years before rusting. You can replace them 2 or 3 times before the equal the cost of the stainless.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey maxx, tell me someone just cracked your password and disguised themselves as you to post that! I can't believe you would be grim like that. A little on the salty side are we? Come on man, I thought we were a friendly, helpful, pieceful board? :confused:

Anyhow, When I get it on I'll post pics and details! Hey 858, some input would be nice from you if ya don't mind.

G

·
Whats my problem? Hmmm....maybe if you had been on this site longer, you would know. The Stromung exhaust was my little project. I spent a lot of time and effort making that exhaust available to the public. The exhaust came into existance solely based on the efforts of individuals from this site. It means something to me. :)

I don't have a problem with more parts being available for the Sentra. More aftermarket support is a good thing. I think we need to distinguish between "parts" and "quality parts" though. I have a problem with people who associate HKS, Greddy ect. with supreme quality. Don't get me wrong, it's not junk, but lets be realistic. Somewhere along the line, HKS became synonimous with Japanese exotic parts. You saw their exhausts on the Skylines and other highend turbo cars. We were led to believe that HKS exhausts were the choice of all high-end tuners. Yeah, right! In reality, they are just another mid-level exhaust at a high-end price. I do suspect that everyone that buys a HKS exhaust does so because of the name.

Additionally, why would you put a part on a brand new car that is only going to last 2-3 years!? What kind of logic is that? I'd be willing to bet that the stock exhaust system would last longer than the HKS.

As for the HKS exhaust being a better deal, it isn't. The Exhaust is $400 bucks and mild steel. For $550 you can get a full stainless system that will easily last 2-3 times as long as the HKS. The Stromung exhaust is a higher quality, better made part....PERIOD. If your planning on owning the car for 3-5 years, it makes sense to spend the extra $150.

I'm not gonna tell anyone not to buy the HKS exhaust. Let them go out and buy it. Let them be another face in the croud. I hope everyone that buys the exhaust is happy with it. I am sure they will be. The reason I made my comment was to voice an opinion. There is a movement on this site to be different. I didn't buy my Sentra to turn it into a Honda.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The stromung just seems like a ripoff to me.

Sure you are talking about R&D for the HKS, but how much was done for the Stromung? How many different sizes pipes were tried? How many different designed mufflers? 2.25" pipes arent going to flow enough if you decide to mod. Sure they will work, but later on you are going to have to upgrade to 2.5" (much bigger if you go turbo)

·
Registered
28 Posts
hks

Hey whats up? Well I have a stillen exhaust right now. I am looking for a full cat back. And I will probablly get the hks. Sorry all you stromung people out there. I just think that hks makes a better exhaust. I have had one on my last car, And it worked and sounded great.

G

·
Kevin- Not to be rude, but you should spend some time reading the articles over at http://www.se-r.net . This isn't a Neon. Mike Kojima has done A LOT of research into N/A exhaust applications for the Sentra. Mike toyed around with various pipe diameters. For a more or less stock engine, 2" worked the best on the SR20DE....no joke. We went with 2.25" to allow some room for mods down the road. Many list members are considering camshafts and NOS when they become available. It is MORE than adequate for anything we will be doing short of forced induction.

I don't claim that the Stromung is the absolute best exhaust in the world. I promote the Stromung exhaust because it is a handbuilt, high quality piece of hardware. I recommend it because I want everyone to support a company that has worked with the Sentra community for years. Stromung didn't have to custom design this exhaust for us. The fact that they did speaks volumes about their customer service and dedication to the import car enthusiast. That is the type of company that I want to spend my hard earned money with.

This board's purpose to share information and opinions. Like I said before, I was voicing my opinion and backing it up with proof. If you don't like it, don't read it. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
did I say it was a neon? I didnt even mention that word here for a reason.

So, how many different sized pipes were tested? And how many different muffler designes were tested?

and I am voicing my opinion, and if you dont like it then dont read it :)

G

·
Perhaps you missed the jist of my previous post. We used Mike Kojima's testing for our system. Because our engine is essentially identical to the B13 and B14 SR20DE, it was appropriate. We used Stromung's highest flowing muffler aswell. They manufacture several different sizes and types of mufflers. For our application, we chose the 16" perforated core muffler with dual 3" tips. The 2.5RS guys had their best results with that particular muffler aswell. In fact, Stromung is one of the most popular exhausts for the 2.5RS. He also manufactures one of the most popular exhausts for the Mazda Miata aswell. His quality work is well known.

I think your reading WAY too much into this. If you call Scott up and talk to him about his exhausts, he will make one thing VERY clear...."It's just a muffler." It may sound stupid at first, but its true. A muffler's function is to reduce sound levels with minimal flow restriction. THAT IS IT! Most aftermarket mufflers (aside from Borla) use a Perforated core surrounded by sound deading material. They are essentially a "straight through" design. Borla and a few others use fixed baffle's.

I trust Scott's opinion because his entire business is dedicated solely to building high performance exhaust systems. That is all he does, and he has a good reputation for his work. He even designs his own mufflers, and all his work is done in house. They can do custom tips and other stuff to personalize your exhaust for you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is good

I mean it, this is good, voicing your opinions and rights is a great thing. I currently have the Stromung exhaust and I love it, every person that has heard it loves it too, even sr20de friends. But we really can't battle about the exhaust until getting both of them up on a dyno on the same car and finding out. The only facts we know is that 2.25" is the best for N/A from testing by Mike Kojima, and that Nissan tested that on our cars dual tip mufflers seem to work best. So maxxim and others told Scott that and the outcome was a perfectly well built exhaust system. Plus stainless steel will not just rust away like mild steel might do 2-4years down the road. It is just a matter of going for brand names or not, both HKS and Stromung are extremely well respected exhaust companies, so it all comes down to the individual and what he/she prefers. Longer life and dual 2.5" tips, or shorter like and a single 4" tip, because the pipe diameters are almost the same(+ or - .1"). Just enjoy whichever one you get and keep the Sentra spirit alive....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts