B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I went over a speed bump, and there was a loudass thunk noise. Now, my car will make rattles from underneath, and it sounds much louder when accelerating. I looked underneath and I'm not sure what is wrong.

What could this be? Also, would this be convered under warranty?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Heatshield? I ran over a snow bank one time with a different car that I had and I bent the heatshield and it rattled until I bent it back.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SE R SpecV OmSi said:
u musta hit it pretty ****en hard im thinkin u did damage to uir exhaust if it gets louder with acceleration
Well I was going really slow, but the thunk sounded freaking loud. I am scared it's the exhaust since it sounds different. Not super loud, but definitely louder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this happen before on my old '97 GXE, except mine just bottomed out out of a parking lot. What it was, on the rear of the passenger pan on the underside of the car, there is a piece that sticks down about 2 inches or so. When I bottomed out, I hit that and one side of that piece broke lose and bent it back, I took a hammer to it and knocked it back, and then the rattle was gone. Not sure if the B15 has that smae piece, but it might be something to check.

~Monk

edit: I can't spell.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I did that before, but not w/ a speed bump, was some crack in a concrete parking lot that went deeper than I anticipated. I broke an exhaust hanger and my exhaust was banging around on crap...That might be it too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Could well be an exhaust hanger. Just get down there and have a look- one of the brackets for the exhaust system is in that vicinity, and if you ripped the mass balancer off the bracket (that happened to me once- very easy to replace), it would rattle like that. You will ding those brackets before doing anything really evil to the underside, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
akula said:
Could well be an exhaust hanger. Just get down there and have a look- one of the brackets for the exhaust system is in that vicinity, and if you ripped the mass balancer off the bracket (that happened to me once- very easy to replace), it would rattle like that. You will ding those brackets before doing anything really evil to the underside, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
Yep, it was the bracket that got loose. Only cost $40 to fix, so I'm happy.

Also, I had an annoying shifter rattle that seems to be gone after this fix, so I'm kinda happy this happened.

·
Registered
501 Posts
$40?? Damn dude! Zip ties are like $2 for 100 ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
The bracket runs a bit over $30. I don't remember what I paid for mine. You don't really want to do without it- it does lend support to the exhaust system, and with the weight on the hanger it keeps stuff from vibrating too much. It is only held on by 2 nuts- you take more time getting the car jacked up and secured than you do fixing it. Those nice cheap zip ties would melt and stink. On the other hand, multicolored zip ties could be claimed to be a "Type R" modification (or some other crap like that).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts