B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's goin' on guys...
I currently own a Maxima, I'm considering purchasing a new Sentra, either the up and coming SE-R or possibly getting a good deal on a 2k SE.... I would really appreciate if you guys can answer some questions for me. These are the basic things I am worried about buying this car.

1- I think I will be getting an auto, I need a daily commute car in serious NYC traffic. How well does the auto tranny perform?

2- My maxima kills me on gas, i get no more then 14 mpg, How is the Fuel economy on the SE Sentras?

3- I'm about 6'1, and I need room, after driving my bro's Corolla, I thought leg room in the compact sedans SUCKS. It's way too tight... Is the front leg room sufficient? I like to lounge back and stuff.. you get the point..

4- Performance.. What approximately would a stock SE auto run in the 1/4 mi? Can I get it into the 14's N/A?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: Hi everyone, I am new here, considering a Sentra and need answers from real owners...

NYCE13 said:
What's goin' on guys...
I currently own a Maxima, I'm considering purchasing a new Sentra, either the up and coming SE-R or possibly getting a good deal on a 2k SE.... I would really appreciate if you guys can answer some questions for me. These are the basic things I am worried about buying this car.

1- I think I will be getting an auto, I need a daily commute car in serious NYC traffic. How well does the auto tranny perform?

2- My maxima kills me on gas, i get no more then 14 mpg, How is the Fuel economy on the SE Sentras?

3- I'm about 6'1, and I need room, after driving my bro's Corolla, I thought leg room in the compact sedans SUCKS. It's way too tight... Is the front leg room sufficient? I like to lounge back and stuff.. you get the point..

4- Performance.. What approximately would a stock SE auto run in the 1/4 mi? Can I get it into the 14's N/A?

Hey let me welcome you to the boards:)

But here's my answers to your questions....

1.I also have a auto and the tranny holds up very well and I do abuse mine every once in a while,,no problems and it runs very smooth....

2.The gas on the Sentra is pretty good deffinetly alot better than your getting with your max right now...

3.I am about 6' tall as well and I have plenty of room,,,the car is actually pretty comfy.....

4.Well 14's are pretty hard with an auto,,,seeing people with pulley's,cat-back,and CAI's are running 15's and thats with manuals....but it could be done if you add like nitrous or turbo(which is unavailible)

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing about "Lounging" in the sentra....yeah its possible...but don't plan on having others in the back seat..i was a highschool student and it really sucked for my friend's feet...no room in the back what's so ever....by the way i'm 5'11

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I have the SE auto

Needless to say drive it to determine the comfort. I got the SE because my wife liked the seats (among other things).

The SE offers the best combination of performance/economy I can imagine. If you are looking to get the car into the 14's-good luck. Can't be done. Besides you will have to waive good bye to gas milage for that.
The SE engine is a jewel. Been around for ever-rock solid. My favorite saying is that it has enough performance to get by any Joe sixpack SUV or pick up truck even in the auto version. Again-auto's and performance in the SE animal are not directly related. Lets face it an SE (even the manual) will struggle to beat a 3.1L Corsica- I know-I own one (165 Hp)

Gas milage can get into the high 30's on a trip if you are careful.

You may be making too many demands on an auto SE. But again - personally, I think its the best car for the buck-period. BTW I don't have the performance package. Don't really need it.

·
Resigned
411 Posts
Re: Hi everyone, I am new here, considering a Sentra and need answers from real owners...

Well, a couple of things. Welcome to the board first of all. Also, wanted to let you know that the reason you are getting poor fuel econmony is probably because your car either needs a tune up, or you need to replace some old O2 sensors on your exhaust. Your car supose to get around 20~ mpg for the worst gas milege. My 2001 Max gets 22, my older sentra got 25 normally in the city. I went from a Maxima to the Sentra and back. I missed the room and the smooth power, you will also miss that.

NYCE13 said:
What's goin' on guys...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see

It's a tough decision, there are so many ways to spend the $. :D
I am thinking of a newer, 97-99 Maxima at the same time. I love the room, size and power of the Max. I'd like a car equally as powerful, but I can't achieve that in the Sentra. However, I get better fuel economy and a newer car that I can keep around for a while.

Is there anyone here that drives a 5 speed in heavy city traffic every day? I never owned a 5 speed car, I know how to drive stick but I can see how it can get very tiring to a point I'll regret it.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am 6'6
and the sentra was the only other car other then a focus that I could fit and have room to spare, for tall people it has more room then the current Maxima, lots of leg room and lots of head room, even with a sunroof my head still does not hit :D

as far as the other questions I don't know, but driving an auto focus, which has the same epa rating as the SE sentra with an auto, in heavy traffic shuch as stop and go all the time NYC rush hour in an auto dont expect too much more then 25, heck you might even be way down to 17mpg if it is really bad traffic

Personally I drove a stick for 3mounths in rush hour traffic and it did not bother me at all, but at the same time I am only 17

I am stuck with an auot at the moment and I hate it, such a wasteful thing, kills gas milage and eats HP the car is soo slow off the line and the shifts are really slow
if you dont mid doing the shifting go with a stick, you are better off with a stick in the long run

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sat in a Sentra just a few hours ago...

Took my Maxima to the dealer for a diagnostic, and got a chance to sit in a white SE auto, no sunroof... Car is pretty damn roomy, I must say... Smaller in cabin space but fair room for legs. Seats are a bit awkward, maybe I'm just not used to them. Good visibility, almost as good as my Maxima.

Russ, yes, I know who you are :D I was going to ask you actually on the maxima.org forums about how the Sentra was. But I found u here..... My gas consumption is probably caused by more then a faulty O2 sensor, or need for a tune up, since I replaced the o2 sensor, Fuel pressure regulator, some fuel lines, fuel filter, new spark plugs, air filter, ran ECU diagnosis.... Damn thing doesn't show the problem. I am suspecting the injectors or something but whatever, my car is at the dealer right now, I'll find out in a few hours..

Even if I fix my maxima, I'm still going to be shopping for another car, need economy, room, fair power and looks. Oh yea, it would be nice if it's a Nissan too :) Sentra is dope, I might wait for the SE-R but I doubt I can afford it....

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Might as well chime in on this since I own an auto SE...

1. The auto tranny holds up as well as any other auto tranny. You can abuse it and it comes back for more. But acceleration and responsiveness with the auto is fair, at best. I've only had one problem with my auto tranny stalling out and that's with O/D off and in D3... Hopefully they fixed that in the newer Sentras.

2. My auto SE kills me on gas. Getting like maybe 22 or 23 MPG at the most. Average mileage is close to 20 MPG. Took it in to get it "fixed". No change. I gave up on this issue. Manual SE's seem to get much better mileage.

3. I'm actually impressed with the front leg room in the Sentra. Lots of room to lounge and stretch out while you drive. Just don't expect to have anyone taller than like 5'3 behind you.

4. 14's N/A? Don't even think about it. If you were thinking about performance I would suggest a manual tranny... seriously. Either that or go with your other idea of getting a newer Maxima and S/C that bad boy.

5. About driving stick through traffic... it's all about your preference. I drove a stick for 5 years through heavy traffic at times with no problems. It does get cumbersome at times, but now that I have an auto I'm starting to think that the burden of shifting was worth it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
for all you people complaining about the Auto on the SE....try driving my old 95 TBird with an AODE transmission. You will think the SE is the best auto trans ever built. I can't imagine driving a stick in rush hour traffic. I get around 25 mpg in alot of city driving.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SR20DE 2K...

Check your rpm's on a level road with zero acceleration, You need to be at operating temperature. You souuld be 52/53 miles per hour at 2000 rpm. I just thought maybe your torque converter was not locking up. BTW if there are no other problems your milage will go up dramatically if you keep it locked up. Unfortunately that takes a little discipline sometimes. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you plan to get in the 14s by any means with the SE you should get the Performance Package. The limited slip by its self is worth the price of the package.

If you are serious about draggin the car, wait for the SE-R and just a few items like an exhaust should get you in the high 14s at least. Once headers come out for the SE-Rs 14s should be a breeze. The stick SEs can hit 15s stock but it is not gauranteed. With the auto mid 16s at best.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2 cents....

A 14-second auto SE? Difficult...not impossible. You could get there a lot cheaper with other cars.

My gas mileage sucks because I bury the go pedal constantly. I drive a manual and I never shift under 5k unless in traffic.

I'm 6 foot tall, and have no problems with space at all. The other guys are right about the back seat though. The person sitting behind you won't be happy.

I will always swear by manual transmissions. Everyone here says that the auto trans on the SE is very solid, but why get it? I can't handle letting a car shift for me. I'm a control freak! :D
With a 5-speed, you are quicker out of the box, if you get the performance package you get the VLSD. The auto trans gets no LSD, which will really hurt it if you mod it for some real power. The manual transmission model will be at least $700 cheaper. It is very easy to drive in traffic, the SR20DE is a torquey litte motor and you don't have to rev it like a Honda.;)

If you're going to buy a Sentra SE....it must be:

A 5-speed with performance package!!!!:D
If you're set on an auto, get the Maxima there's more power to work with there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:) Last year was in the same boat as you were. Have a 93 Maxima SE Auto. Needed something nice without breaking the bank. Settled on the Sentra SE with MT and PP. Gotta agree with JDog-X. The PP will get you a VLSD and larger tires. Rowing your own gears in the SE is a blast! I commute everyday into NYC like this and no fatigue whatsoever. It's a great contrast in style compared to the Maxima. When I get into my Maxima I find myself constantly shifting gears as if I was driving a 5-spd. As for MPG, the Max gets me no more than 25 MPG in the City. But with the Sentra I'm usually in the high 20's and low 30's provided of course you avoid the oxy crap in the winter months.

No doubt about it. Go with the SE/PP with 5-spd...you won't be disappinted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
About the height thing. I'm 6'1" also, and I like to be far back also. You do have plenty of room, however, if anyone is sitting behind you, they're gonna be very cramped. Nobody likes to sit behind me when I have friends in the car.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Wow, I probably drive in hardly any traffic, I'm 5' 5", I get from 22-31 mpg with my stick, and I haven't went to the strip yet, but I know you can do pretty well with an auto with, like previously mentioned, nitrous or a turbo setup. :D

I know I probably didn't answer your questions, but hey, I tried. :)

By the way peoples, with my current setup, and with my decent skills at the stick, could I pull high 15's?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: I have the SE auto

adc100 said:
. Lets face it an SE (even the manual) will struggle to beat a 3.1L Corsica- I know-I own one (165 Hp)

I hope you are kidding. The 3.1 Corsica is a high 16's low 17's car in the quarter not to mention a 9 second car to 60. My buddy has a 165HP Beretta. He though he was fast. I have beat him with every car I have owned including a 85 200SX Turbo.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
joebrez..

I certainly don't doubt you but my Corsica is definitely stronger than the SE. I don't doubt that the SE could win in the quater though. Your friend's must be abused. I don't have the pp so there's no limited slip. Does the PP have limited slip in the auto??

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Re: joebrez..

adc100 said:
I certainly don't doubt you but my Corsica is definitely stronger than the SE. I don't doubt that the SE could win in the quater though. Your friend's must be abused. I don't have the pp so there's no limited slip. Does the PP have limited slip in the auto??
Nope! No limited slip in the auto's, even with the PP.

And let me tell you, you'd better have a tight hold of that steering wheel if you try to get on the gas pedal from anything below 10mph.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
yea..

I don't gun it from a standstill but the one or two times I did I wasn't prepared for it. And that wasn't even with full throttle. Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned that. My wife mostly uses the car and our driveway backs out on a road where you don't have a real good view. I need to warn her to hold on to the wheel or she'll wind up in the cowfield across the road.:D

Hmmm... If she does that I'll be able to remind her we should have gotten the 5 sp. PP (auto-her choice:( ).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts