B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i were to get low compression pistons and rods (8.5/1) would I be able to put them into my car without running turbo, nitrous or anyother kind of forced induction? I plan on going turbo once i get money, but i was wondering if i could put them in now and put the turbo in later.... any advice from anybody?? Thanks for the info...
-blackblur

·
Registered
237 Posts
im not sure but just save and do it all at once with travis. it beats taking the engine out twice:)

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
no need to take the engine out when installing turbo.

if you were to install lower comp pistons, your normal, every day performance would decrease quite noticeably until you installed turbo, but no, it wouldn't hurt anything. remember, you need to break in the internals anyways.

·
I drive an auto...
1,569 Posts
y would performance decrease?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
less compression would mean less power. the more the a/f mixture is compressed, the more volitile it becomes, and the harder it explodes driving the pistons down harder.

It's not a bad idea, but you can always turbo it first, and then if you feel the need for more power, get internals and just bump up the boost after they are broken in.

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
Your lowering compression, the amount of air/fuel in the cylinder.
High compression pistons = More air = more power and vice versa for low compression pistons

·
Hoosier Daddy?
6,000 Posts
spec-v-guy said:
Your lowering compression, the amount of air/fuel in the cylinder.
High compression pistons = More air = more power and vice versa for low compression pistons
Actually... you're not drawing more air into the cylinder by increasing compression.. The reason higher compression engines make slightly more power than lower compression engines in naturally aspirated form, is because peak cylinder pressures are lower, the lower you go with the static compression ratio. Lower peak cylinder pressure means less force to drive the piston downward on the power stroke. This means less power..

Travis

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
This increase in pressure creates additional heat as well, which is why higher octane fuel with a lower burn temp/lower detonation temp, is required when you increase your compression, cause the heat from the extra compression can cause pre-ignition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts