B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inquiring on your intake polishing job. I was wondering how long you've had it polished now and if you see any oxidation on it? I live in Minnesota and Wisconsin, you think it would rust over winter? That looks really sweet!

------------------
2000 Sentra SE PP Black 5 spd painted calipers, rotors, and strut bar.
Got my car back this weekend from the body shop and is looking good!

·
Registered
259 Posts
umm, hmm. you got me kinda confused. i have nothing polished as of yet. are you reffering to the link i posted on how to polish your valve cover? if so, that was some one else's site. i found it and it was good info to pass around. (always looking out for you guys!)as far as rust, it should not be an issue, however to make absolutely certain, it would be wise to use a clear coat hi-temp engine paint.

i have polished one, but on my old rex si. i have been toying with a scrap valve cover to see how my dremel will do instead of by hand. it seems to be coming along rather well. once i get it done, i'll snap some pics and put em up for ya.

------------------
MY PAGE
WAIT! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i thought that was your car, let us know what happens with the dremel thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by daavikes (edited April 16, 2001).]

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok, i found out tonight. let me say 2 things...

1. oops!
2. don't use a dremel or a rotozip!

you want to use a drill as the directions on the DIRECTIONS state. the rotozip and dremel spin at too high an rpm. a drill that is around 2500-3000 rpm's is a good setting. trying to clean up from the dremel tonight. i'm glad it was an old valve cover i practiced on!

------------------
MY PAGE
WAIT! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:
ok, i found out tonight. let me say 2 things...

1. oops!
2. don't use a dremel or a rotozip!

you want to use a drill as the directions on the DIRECTIONS state. the rotozip and dremel spin at too high an rpm. a drill that is around 2500-3000 rpm's is a good setting. trying to clean up from the dremel tonight. i'm glad it was an old valve cover i practiced on!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay...I've seen these really nice pics of some polished valve covers.. I've tried to shine them myself with no avail... 2000SE, do I need to have a machine polisher to handle this job? My dumbarse tried Neverdull. :p

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
104 Posts
Heh, yikes, I just read that site and it looks like a pain in the *** to do all that.. I guess I'll need to take a weekend to polish it. I answered my own question..duh. :)

------------------
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I would have to agree that it looks like a pain in the *** but look at the shine when it's done. I think it would add a real nice touch! I might be attempting it this weekend and will let you guys know

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daavikes:
yeah I would have to agree that it looks like a pain in the *** but look at the shine when it's done. I think it would add a real nice touch! I might be attempting it this weekend and will let you guys know

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, when I get back from the next underway, I'll look into polishing it on a weekend. :) Looks damn good though!

------------------

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay i accomplished the job this weekend and am very happy with my work. First the valve cover came off very easily. I used 180 grit sanding disks with my drill and it looked much better after this! Next I used 400 grit and then jumped to 1500. It was kind of hard to get in the tight spots, I also used a air tool with a steel wire attachment and that got in all the tight spaces the sander couldn't reach. Once I was done with the sanding I cleaned it with solvent and buffed it out with aluminum polish and a small buffing wheel I bought that attaches to the sander disk, it worked great. After I did this i cleaned it up with a towel and applied three coats of clear engine paint. In the morning I buffed that slightly and it looks really good. Putting the valve cover back on was not hard either. Just make sure you get the gasket set perfectly. All in all in makes under the hood look a lot better! There wasn't even aluminum shavings everywhere like the instructions say.

------------------

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well I will let all of you know what it looks like cause me and a friend is gonna do this process in a few weeks but like my friend was telling me that the method that person used on that site was really drawn out,,,,and I trust what he's talking about cause he has his done and it looks really sweet and no disscoloration at all and he's had his done for 3 years and it's been threw 3 New England winters.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

1 - 10 of 10 Posts