B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You all asked for it and here it is......ONE STIPULATION....Try it before you flame me guys. I am getting sick of people saying, that's bullcrap, and they never even tried it. I tried this, my buddy tried it, a couple other board members tried it and it DOES work.

A couple things to remember, your car is not running while you are doing the reset (i don't want anyone blowing their engine). Also, times are exact, meaning that you can't just sit there and count, use a watch or something that you can get the timing precise. I had to do it twice the first time (i must have messed up the timing) but it did work. In addition, this will not turn off every single SES code that makes the light turn on, and if your car still has a problem, the SES light will come back on. I used it when I put on my XTune headers and threw SES because of the o2 sensors.

1. turn ignition to on (don't turn car on, just turn ignition to on so all accesories are powered)......count to 3
2. press and release the gas pedal 5 times hard and fast
3. count to 10 and then press gas pedal all the way down
4. count to 12 (ses should be blinking) and release gas pedal
5. count to 10, press gas pedal all the way down
6. count to 10, release gas pedal
7. Turn ignition off. Now start the car.
8. Shut car off and restart the car. DONE!

Like I told everyone else. I laughed right at my buddy when he told me about this. LAUGHED RIGHT AT HIM! That is until he turned off his SES light....all of a sudden you have my attention kid. It does work, and if anyone has any questions (after trying it) feel free to hit me back.

EDIT* I also have a couple other resets, throttle position sensor reset and accelerator pedal release position learning reset and a few more....I will look back through the Nissan service manual and find out...if anyone wants these as well let me know.

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
Nice Re. This is in the How To's section of the technical discussion forum. I was thinking there was a 7 second pause in there somewhere.

Thought so "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT RESET/DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats itself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

Clearing

You can clear the code (and the annoying MIL) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in Diagnostic Test Mode II. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s)."
originally posted by somebody else in the How To's.

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
yep, was a 7

Black B15 said:
1. turn ignition to on (don't turn car on, just turn ignition to on so all accesories are powered)......count to 3
Have you got the newb reset? Just kidding, nice effort, but you could've gotten this a lot easier.:) Or, is this just for the 1.8's out there? I may have RE'd you too soon.

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It shows that one in the Nissan serivce manual...

orangelloSE-R said:
Nice Re. This is in the How To's section of the technical discussion forum. I was thinking there was a 7 second pause in there somewhere.

Thought so "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT RESET/DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats itself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

Clearing

You can clear the code (and the annoying MIL) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in Diagnostic Test Mode II. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s)."
originally posted by somebody else in the How To's.
I saw that one in the nissan service manual, but haven't tried it. I know the one I mentioned works, and I would assume this one works as well. I appreciate the input! It is nice to know you don't have to spend $8000 to have the ability to reset the SES! This is some good info bro....

So no nay-sayers yet huh? Maybe I should give it time. I figured within the first 5 minutes after posting i would get a bunch of goofy replies.

Anybody else know any other little reset tips/tricks. Remember "knowledge is power".

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not just the 1.8s

orangelloSE-R said:
Have you got the newb reset? Just kidding, nice effort, but you could've gotten this a lot easier.:) Or, is this just for the 1.8's out there? I may have RE'd you too soon.
No it definitely worked on my 1.8, and on my buddies 05 nismo frontier. So it does work. I did hear something about the specs not having the same ability though, i don't know for sure on that one guys. HEY, NO NEWB here....hahaha.....i have been around the block kids...

"i remember when a dime bag cost a dime, you know what I mean".
"you know how much condoms cost back then?" "I dunno, we never used em!" (A little Half Baked to get the day started)

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
I used to buy gallon ziploc bags stuffed for $100. Loooove Mandeville, LA. It was not that brown mexicough, beautiful green swampbuds.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
ive used this a couple of times before. usually works, depending on what the problem is.

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmmmmm tasty....

orangelloSE-R said:
I used to buy gallon ziploc bags stuffed for $100. Loooove Mandeville, LA. It was not that brown mexicough, beautiful green swampbuds.
Yeah, I get mostly mexicough (as you called it) here in Phoenix. but every once in a while KA*POW!!! There is some good funk rolling through here every now and then. Gotta love the kind!

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VMPhil

VMPhil said:
ive used this a couple of times before. usually works, depending on what the problem is.
Are you rolling in the 1.8 or the 2.5? just curious if there is a difference in functionality for the reset between the two....let me know!

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
I sincerely suggest you investigate your horticultural options for the safety of your taste buds & for your freedom. It is not as complicated as you may have heard.

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha! good stuff man....

orangelloSE-R said:
I sincerely suggest you investigate your horticultural options for the safety of your taste buds & for your freedom. It is not as complicated as you may have heard.
Yeah I know, there are a lot of options here especially. But I have found the jackpot, great prices, always there, yummy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Black B15 said:
You all asked for it and here it is......ONE STIPULATION....Try it before you flame me guys. I am getting sick of people saying, that's bullcrap, and they never even tried it. I tried this, my buddy tried it, a couple other board members tried it and it DOES work.

A couple things to remember, your car is not running while you are doing the reset (i don't want anyone blowing their engine). Also, times are exact, meaning that you can't just sit there and count, use a watch or something that you can get the timing precise. I had to do it twice the first time (i must have messed up the timing) but it did work. In addition, this will not turn off every single SES code that makes the light turn on, and if your car still has a problem, the SES light will come back on. I used it when I put on my XTune headers and threw SES because of the o2 sensors.

Like I told everyone else. I laughed right at my buddy when he told me about this. LAUGHED RIGHT AT HIM! That is until he turned off his SES light....all of a sudden you have my attention kid. It does work, and if anyone has any questions (after trying it) feel free to hit me back.

EDIT* I also have a couple other resets, throttle position sensor reset and accelerator pedal release position learning reset and a few more....I will look back through the Nissan service manual and find out...if anyone wants these as well let me know.
Quick Question. If you install a Xtune header on a 1.8S will there be any problems such as o2 sensor's & inspection?

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably

vspec18 said:
Quick Question. If you install a Xtune header on a 1.8S will there be any problems such as o2 sensor's & inspection?
Depending on what state you are in. I live in Phoenix arizona, here you don't have to get your car emissions tested until it is 5 years old. I still have a good 3 years here. It is different everywhere, but yes, more than likely your header (any header, not just xtune) will throw a SES code. If you are running without your o2 sensors and you get inspected, you will be in trouble. Worst case scenario, put the o2's in so the FUZZ can't mess with ya, and all you have to worry about is the SES light coming on, and driving your whole neighborhood crazy with your loud assed sentra. At least that's how it works for me.

·
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You rest your case? Well I object, you're badgering the witness....

JFP in PA said:
I rest my case......................
Dude, you still can't justify spending $8000 in place of me doing it for free. Hey does your car have any SES codes on? ME NEITHER! And mine was FREE son FREE! Your method would allow any code to be read and what have you. The way that I would have to do it (still free!) is a little bit harder. But from NISSAN, and I believe it is posted above in this very thread, you can tell what kind of code you are throwing by the blinking light, and what pattern it is blinking. So yes, you do have a much better unit than my (ahem) FREE one, but I would still rather save the $8k and just shut if off myself.

The defense rests.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Black B15 said:
Dude, you still can't justify spending $8000 in place of me doing it for free. Hey does your car have any SES codes on? ME NEITHER! And mine was FREE son FREE! Your method would allow any code to be read and what have you. The way that I would have to do it (still free!) is a little bit harder. But from NISSAN, and I believe it is posted above in this very thread, you can tell what kind of code you are throwing by the blinking light, and what pattern it is blinking. So yes, you do have a much better unit than my (ahem) FREE one, but I would still rather save the $8k and just shut if off myself.

The defense rests.

And the number of cars that come to my shop after trying the legendary "pedal dance", only to find out they cannot fix the problem(s) (most of which they caused themselves), cannot determine what the actual problem is, find or cannot clear the MIL because it is protected codes and have found out that they cannot pass state inspection in that condition, or cannot trade or sell the car because of the MIL are what has paid for the Consult unit several times over, as well as the Porsche unit.

The “defense” is living in a dream world……………………………..but as they say “ignorance is bliss”, and I’m sure you’re happy……………………just keep blowing that loco weed, because you are doing the world a favor................

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
Damn people! One of you owns a shop & needs professional tools. The other doesn't own a shop & needs only the tools of a shadetree/DIY mechanic. I do not have a lift; i would looooove to have one. If i a shop full of professional tools, i would probably end up screwing stuff by trying to work on things that are beyond my knowledge & ability. When i get tempted to do something like that, i call my brother-in-law (very experienced mechanic, primarily diesel fleet work) and ask him for help. He has a diagnostic tool that is probably similar to the cosultII (yellow plastic, takes little cards for different models) & has the sense to use it without screwing anything up or wasting time fixing minor problems that may occasionally throw a code.

Beat the f'ing horse to death & shred it into some mfing fertilizer already!

P.S. I do not feel that my LIBERAL use of certain intoxicating substances has had any serious affect on my mechanical abilities, they still suck.;)

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
JFP in PA said:
At least you're man enough to admit it....................
I might as well, i am using my cat's name & he doesn't even have thumbs!:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts