B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of help. I have a 2001 Sentra SE with disc brakes all around. My rear brakes were making an awful sound. So decided to inspectect them. as I began to remove the calliper, I the piston came lose in my hand. then brake fluid started to pour out. The rubber boot had come loose. I tried to screw the piston back on, but the adjust nut(#29 on pg. 23 of fsm. in Section F, Brakes, Brake System) inside the piston spins. I tried putting a pin through a small hole on the side, near the top of the piston. But that didn't seem to do anything. Any ideas and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will end up going to a dealership tomorrow to see how much a new set of calipers will set me back.

http://www.southern-shift.com/sentra/br.pdf

·
Registered
73 Posts
You'll need to rebuilt the caliper yourself or buy another one. All Nissan is going to do is most likely get you another one. If you get another you should by able to get core money from the one you have now.

·
Nissan RICE Division
810 Posts
I had a similar problem, but my rear left caliper was dragging. I looked around and from an aftermarket source a rebuilt caliper was $140 each. I was able to get a pair of new OEM rear calipers for $162 each. Figured I'd switch out both just to be safe and so I could paint them with some G2 paint before installing.

I still have both old ones in case you are interested. The rear left will have to be rebuilt since that was the one causing problems. The rear right should be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I just ended up getting new ones from Kragen. $300 for both with pads. I went to my local dealership, they wanted $215 each and $50 for a set of pads. The parts guy said it was too expensive and recomended me to an auto parts store.

I still think 48k miles is too soon for rear brakes to completely wear out.

·
Registered
631 Posts
shaolin_racer said:
Thanks, but I just ended up getting new ones from Kragen. $300 for both with pads. I went to my local dealership, they wanted $215 each and $50 for a set of pads. The parts guy said it was too expensive and recomended me to an auto parts store.

I still think 48k miles is too soon for rear brakes to completely wear out.
not if your one of those people that likes to do alot of FWD "drifting" with the ebrake lol. (i wont deny it, a big empty snow cover parking lot is calling my name)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pulled the e-brake on a few occations. Mostly in dirt fields, it doesn't snow here. But I've only done that 5 or 6 times. I do corner very cars sometimes and at some point I had higher air pressure on the rear tires to induce a slight amount of oversteer. But even then I would only use weight transfer more than anything else. I thought this still mostly use the front pads more that the rear. But I did end up chunking my rear tires in about 20k miles.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
A few guys on this board have gone through 2x as many rear brakes as fronts- I think their F/R biasing is set up wrong from the factory, maybe you're one of them?
Can't you just screw the piston back in?
It takes a C-clamp and a pair of needle-nose pliers, but it can be done it you replace the dust boot.
A friend and I did that on his '99 Jetta- he unscrewed the piston right into his hand, and clamped onto the dust boot with my channel-lock pliers, so I can empathize.
We did fix it ourselves- it can be done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks but I'll now a little aprehensive about parts from Autozone or Kragen. I just waited three days and was given the wrong parts. I think I recieved parts for a B14. The pads weren't even the same size, this just killed my weekend. I went from spending $300 at Kragen to $500 at the dealership ansd still wil have to wait for parts to arrive.

It has now been 6 days since I've driven my car. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
audio1der said:
A few guys on this board have gone through 2x as many rear brakes as fronts- I think their F/R biasing is set up wrong from the factory, maybe you're one of them?
Can't you just screw the piston back in?
It takes a C-clamp and a pair of needle-nose pliers, but it can be done it you replace the dust boot.
A friend and I did that on his '99 Jetta- he unscrewed the piston right into his hand, and clamped onto the dust boot with my channel-lock pliers, so I can empathize.
We did fix it ourselves- it can be done.
I have a somewhat related brake question. Will 03 SER stock brakes fit over my 12" 2004 Spec V rotors? Yes, I have considered dumping my Brembo's for stock so that I can fit 16" wheels on her for SOLOII racing. Smaller, wider and better gearing for the track. However, I don't know if you can simply replace one for the other without also changing the rotors.

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you can simply because the rotor on the brembo package is bigger. I don't think the pads will line up with the smaller rotor. Not sure how much difference in diameters between the rotors there is. In other words, don't take my word, I have yet to work with the brembo package.

·
Registered
113 Posts
shaolin_racer said:
I don't think you can simply because the rotor on the brembo package is bigger. I don't think the pads will line up with the smaller rotor. Not sure how much difference in diameters between the rotors there is. In other words, don't take my word, I have yet to work with the brembo package.
I suspected that. The specs are:

02-04 SER = 11.02" front rotors
02-04 Spec V w/ Brembo = 12" rotors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts