B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
DUDE!!! I was debating on the same thing.. I went to my acura/vw dealer ship and the had a new golf 1.8t for only 17000. That is pretty damn good. 5 speed but loaded. My friend can get me a chip for that car that will increase the revlimiter and that gives it a lot more power. But I want to stay with a sentra cause it is more affordable and has a lot more power.. I have not decided yet though. I hate decisions. I bet it will all come down to the $$Money$$ you have to spend and how much you can afford or some bs. N-e-way good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SER!!!

VWs are way too expensive. They are nice cars. We have 4 Jettas as company cars right now and 2 golfs. They aren't that great unless you get the Jetta in TDI. And the golf is obvious. That would be a tough choice over the sentra. It is a nice peppy car but way too expensive. But I personally would get the Sentra.
Nissan loyal.

·
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
182 Posts
I don't like jettas, only V-dub I would take is a GTI...GLX of course. Between the SE-R and GTI?

Spec-V= 180hp
180 lb of torque

GTI, GLX= 174hp
181 lb of torque

I would flip a coin:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is the VR6 which has some good power but way overpriced. If you are going to go with reliability/style/something new go with the SE-R. There are tons of VW's out there get something new. Plus Nissan reapirs are resonable but VW's repair costs are sooooo expensive.

G

·
You guys gotta remember that VW is redoing the Jetta/Golf next year. Well, at least they will have new engine choices. The new 24V VR6 will put out 204HP. That is enough to make the Se-r run for cover.

Yeah, VW's are expensive, but in a way you get what you pay for. Have you ever compared a VW interior to the Sentra's? Our cars look like Geo Metro's on the inside compared to the VW's. Exterior fit and finish seems to be a bit better aswell. I've always liked the VW style. I hope that the new Passat is an indication of the direction VW will be going with the remainder of the product line.

As for powertrains, I am not totally convinced. I have known many people that have had problems with the newest VR6, 1.8T and TDI engines in modified trim. Yeah, with just a chip the 1.8T can be a monster, but it is running on the ragged edge. Plus, VW USA is not warrantying ANY car that has evidence of ANY modifications. You can go to Vwvortex and freds TDI page to read the horror stories.

I think the big decision will come down to money. If the Se-r ends up being more expensive than we think, the VW's might be a good choice. The new VR6 will offer greater performance than the Se-r (flame suit on.) However, if the Se-r Spec V really does cost 18K--19K, then it might offer better bang for the buck. Plus, you'll have a car that you DEFINETELY won't see everyday.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gotta vote for the Sentra based on reliabilty. VWs are
still falling apart WAY too soon. (with the exception of the ultra pricey Passat, but that's an Audi anyway)

If you only plan to keep it for a couple of years, I'd probably go with the 1.8T Golf.

I was looking at Golfs before I bought the Sentra. Awesome cars, but very expensive, and the fact they were moving the production of the Golf out of Germany for 2001 scared me away.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in here since I have both a Jetta and a Sentra...

The Jetta is an incredible car. The interior is perfect (especially in black leather), and the performance of the car is phenominal. For instance, our TDI can even give our Bimmer a run for its money. And you can't really beat 50MPG. The 1.8t is a great engine, although it's a new engine and relatively unproven (although so is the 2.5l in the SE-R). The problem with the VR6 is cost. They are incredibly good engines, well proven, and quick-revving, but they are expensive! You've gotta move up to the top trim level (GLX) to get the VR6 standard.

But (from everything I've seen/heard) the SE-R is going to be a killer car too. The interior isn't as nice as the Jetta's, but it will probably be cheaper. It's probably not going to be quite as fast, but the engine will probably handle more HP than a VW engine.

So, all in all, it's just kind of a toss up. The SE-R is cheaper, but not quite as refined, and the Jetta is more expensive, but quicker and a little nicer. If the SE-R winds up costing more than 18k, then the Jetta might be the way to go. If the SE-R is about 18k, it will probably offer a little more performance for the dollar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it is a toss up and i think either one would be a great choice. Price will probably be a major factor becuase i think i would probably have to spring for the VR6 :D. I think its about time for Nissan to dish out some more info on the Spec-V.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well I was readin my old sports compact car mag and I think now I will go for the se-r.. Even the se 2.0 the both kick ***. I can't wait.. I really don't care if I get an se2.0 or an se-r because they both are great bang for a little buck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with the Sentra not only because I own one but also because it's a more practical car. More room, great features, Good Power, Pretty ok after market, good price, and in the april issue of SCC the SE 1/4 mile was faster then the 1.8t. SE-15.7 @ 86.1mph 1.8T-15.9 @ 87.2mph.

Don't get me wrong the 1.8T is a really nice car. Fun to drive but I like the fact the my sentra can keep up with other cars the people said is faster. 2nd generation integra's, Neons etc. I can give them rubs so its all good.

All I can say is go with which ever car you like better. Both are great cars.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That is what I was reading. I think you would get better performance from your sentra and you would enjoy it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't forget that with the VW 1.8T, it's really easy to get 50HP with a $500 mod. Any chip (ABT, Wett, Garrett) will easily bring the hp of the 1.8T motor to about 200hp and then the car will probably be able to keep up with the SE-R.

The only thing is that VW handling sucks unless you plunk down about $1000-1500 into the suspension. VW's have gone the soft, luxo-sport route while the SE-R is a pure enthusiast's car...lightweight, stiff ride and tossable.

If you have a lot of money and want to mod the car, go for the VW cuz they have a HUGE aftermarket support. If you want bang for the buck and your wallet will dictate your purchase, go for the Nissan.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ok I also was looking at the Golf and Jetta before I bought my Sentra ,but I have to say after driving the 1.8T and then driving the Sentra a half hour later. I could tell the difference in that the VW had torque all the way through the rpm range ,and the sentra you can feel more of a kick at higher rpms, but I prefered the Sentra over the VW for many reasons. 1. VW's are much more popular and it is hard to be unique when so many other people have the same car. 2.$ the 1.8T was 22,500 OTD compaired to the $17451.82 OTD of my sentra. 3. The sentra just felt more peppy for some reason even though both were 5 spds. 4. The interior felt more luxo then sporty and kinda made me feel out of place. Those are just some reasons that I chose the sentra.

Also remember the post in the off-topic. It listed the Jetta and Golf as girl cars.(no flaming intended) Now that may not be something that affects you. But just something to think about. I wouldn't let it affect me ,heck ,I was a girl driving around in a modded civic, and now a modded sentra, it doesn't bother me that I'm different.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well you could always drop a turbo in the sentra .. that would give you a lot more bang. Probably more then the vw could. If your worried about turbo lag..some of the turbos.. use a different type of alloy for the spindle which cause it to be lighter and it will spin faster to there will be virtually no lag. In any case I am going to try to stick with the sentra. I have been driving sentras ever sence I got my licence. 91 xe, then a 99xe.. it's time ot move on to a fully loaded se or se-r for me. I know they will last cause my 91xe is almost at 180,000 miles and it still kicks. We also got a 2000 quest. Guess we are a nissan family.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Thats my plan. Going with an Fmax turbo set up hopefully next summer. So far this saving thing is going ok. I can't wait. 300HP will be no problem

·
Registered
311 Posts
RadiumJohn said:
The only thing is that VW handling sucks unless you plunk down about $1000-1500 into the suspension. VW's have gone the soft, luxo-sport route while the SE-R is a pure enthusiast's car...lightweight, stiff ride and tossable.
I'm gonna beg to differ, here. Admittedly, the Passat is not particularly good-handling (although it's not half bad), but the Jetta, and especially the Golf are very respectable handlers. No, they don't approach BMW territory, but they are quick-responding little cars.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts