B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing an auto to manual swap. I couldn't get the driver side drive shaft back onto the tranny. I think the circlip is acting up, does anyone have any good ideas in getting that thing on?

Thanks
Matt

·
El Burro
4,272 Posts
Make sure the opening of the circlip is pointing downwards. Once you get it in and feel that its locked into the splines put the nut on the end of the other side and tap it in gently with a hammer if the whole thing doesn't want to just slide right in.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
The easiest way is you get it pushed int a little bit. Then you push hard and quick from the end inwards. You may have to do this a few times for it to seat itself in. It won't seat without using some force.

Simply pushing won't do it though. It has to be a quick action.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried ALL the ways that everyone of you has mentioned but to no avail. I am starting to suspect if the auto and the manual drive shaft is different which I DONT think so since the FSM only gives specs for ONE type of shaft for the SR20 motor. Any more insights? Can I just slap it all on and put the nut on and call it a day. I mean the place its at it shouldn't pop out would it?! Or should I just put it on w/no clip?

Frustrated,
Matt

·
Registered
78 Posts
david said:
The easiest way is you get it pushed int a little bit. Then you push hard and quick from the end inwards. You may have to do this a few times for it to seat itself in. It won't seat without using some force.

Simply pushing won't do it though. It has to be a quick action.
would it be wrong to use this as my sig. It's great :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SR20dee said:
couldnt you use like a mallet or hammer or something to impact it in?

i know from experiance that getting the drive shaft back in takes force.

I tried that too, I am starting to think/suspect that the manual/auto drive shaft is different.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Well that just would have to do with the length. The spline design is usually the same.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
david said:
Well that just would have to do with the length. The spline design is usually the same.

Everyone I call/ask seems to give me different answers.

I went to local dealership last night and ask one of the techs, he says they're the same and you just gotta work at it to get it in.

I called some of my jobber parts suppliers asking for a manual shaft, they say the P/N's for auto/manual is different. To complicate things the manual one is NOT available even if I want/need one.

I called the parts guy at my local dealership just now he says manual/auto shafts are different because of different P/N's. I know one of the reasons why the P/N is different is because there is a dust wiper that sits against the tranny seal and auto seal has a different size compaired to a manual seal.

So the parts guy gave me a number to call, its a drive shaft rebuilder's shop. The rebuilder agreed with my point about the seal size difference, however now he tells me that the length of the spline is standard and if it ain't going in is because the shims inside the tranny is not correct that means you have to take all that **** back off and have the tranny rebuilt.

So I told him is a junkyard box then he goes on to say how junkyard people dont know what's going on and they could've given you a KA24DE box or a QG18DE box. He goes on saying that they ALL fit too. But in my head I just shut my ears off because I think he's trying to tell me that the gearboxes are the same which I think is BS. Which puts me in doubt of wheather he knows his stuff or not.

So here I am again. Manual tranny, auto driveshaft and something is very wrong...

According to my calipers the clip has to go in AT LEASE by another 3/8's of an inch before it'll engage...

I am ready to blow this car up...
Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts