B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems we had a pretty long thread about the header issue on the ezboard. It also seemed to get a little heated (not too bad). In my post, I wasn't trying to make anyone upset. I defenitely don't ever want to make anyone upset by what I post on these boards. I wanted to catch attention but I might have said it the wrong way.

Wes, you're right, installing headers would be relatively simple on our cars. The difficult part would be staying emissions legal. I agree that we need to do some more research on this area before we begin saying what can and can't be done with our cars. I do however strongly believe that we have the responsibility to let people know about the questionable issues surrounding headers. We currently should not tell people that headers are a great mod unless we warn them about the possible legal issues.

I know there are already a handful of you with headers on order (someone mentioned Dark Side had them installed on his car). I hope all of those people are ones who know what they are getting into. We need people who are willing to go out on a limb and be the first to try something new, especially when it is something that all of us will benefit from. But they should be people who know what they are getting into. Only so much can be determined by posting and discussing on the board. We need willing people out there doing testing and reporting back. I think that is the only way we can solve this issue.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

[This message has been edited by rschauby (edited March 21, 2001).]

G

·
I missed the whole ezboard thing. Can you summarize what was said?

BTW, DarksideSe's are B14 headers. No one has B15 headers yet. Hotshot just did the fitment this weekend for the B15. However, they won't say when they will be available. I just got off the phone with them. John said he won't give us a release date because he doesn't want people getting mad when things get delayed. However, he said they have a backorder of 500+ headers right now, not including any Sentra stuff. So, I think May would probably be a good guess on the release date. Once again, the Sentra parts are last on their list of priorities. Gotta love Hotshot!! :rolleyes:

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

[This message has been edited by maxximtl (edited March 21, 2001).]

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey rschauby,

I hear ya bro. When you first mentioned the close coupled cat, I freaked. Then I read about it in SCC and I freaked again. But then I read how the close coupled cat's real function is to reduce emissions on cold starts when the other cat is not up to operating temperatures. So I think that if I just warm up my car and drive around for 30 minutes or so before I go for my smog check, the car should pass. I don't worry too much about the visual inspection. That's what $20 bills are for :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, let's see if I can provide something resembling a summary. There was mention of the smog-legality of replacing the manifold with a header, namely because of the close coupled cat. It would fail visual, and because you're removing a cat, it could conceivably fail smog as well because there's only one cat doing the cleaning. This would depend on the level you'd have to exceed to fail.

But, the header is where apparently a lot of HP hides. If you're looking for a good bolt-on, this is one of the best. Now, apparently there are no current fitments available for our 2000-01 cars. Only with mods will other headers fit. And, none have the close coupled cat affixed, so they'll never pass visual if a tech is really looking carefully.

I talked with a smog person, and she said that no one has submitted any header with a close coupled cat for CARB certification (I live in Cali). Moving the cat adversely affects cat light off, and since startup is usually when the car puts off the most emissions, CARB frowns upon that. I suggested that a shorty/turbo type header with a random technologies cat attached and all fittings in place would probably be the best bet for "sneaking around" the visual. Also, if a manufacturer so chose, it could conceivably become CARB legal.

Anyway, there was tons more, and I'm not remembering the half of it.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

G

·
Interesting. The Focus guys are having the same problem we are. They have a cat right after the manifold too. Just like us. However, the shorty headers for their cars don't make much HP. Maybe 3 or 4HP at best. It's not a worthwhile mod. Plus, because the cat gets so hot, the headers are cracking on them. The full length header is the only way to go.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe it's also a thought to use ExtrudeHone and have them do a number on the stocker somehow. They are just as expensive as a header, but at least you'll pass visual and I can't see why you wouldn't pass emissions as well. This way, you still keep the mass of the exhaust manifold to avoid cracking, the cat doesn't get removed, and the smog techs are all cool with everything.

There was a very interesting article in HCI magazine I believe, where they build up a hybrid Honda Civic with an LS Integra motor (I think). They used the ExtrudeHone process on the intake and it really produced some numbers for them. Now, granted it's the intake side and it's a Honda motor, but the actual flow numbers were up something like 20% from the stock numbers. Not bad flow improvement.

This wouldn't be the best solution, seeing as the product is not optimized for scavenging and pulse tuning, but it would definitely free at least a few horses.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

G

·
I believe Mike K actually did extrude hone the intake on an SR20DE. They didn't get much out of it. They did gain flow, but it didn't translate into HP on the other end. I'm not sure if you could extude hone a cast iron exhaust manifold or not.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Hotshot CAI (hey, maybe the 3rd one will fit!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts