B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2006 Spec V with about 100k on it and a blown head gasket. I would like to find out the compressed thickness of the OEM head gasket but I haven't had any luck with google. The engine has the Nismo header, cat back, CAI and cams (and suspension and wheels but the does not matter for this discussion.). Because the longer duration cams lower the dynamic compression a little, I would like to put in a slightly thinner head gasket to bring the dynamic compression back to what is was before the cams were installed. Cometic makes head gaskets with compressed thickness from 0.027 to 0.060 so I am thinking about using them. Just need to figure out which one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's an interesting question. The Nismo cams were designed to work with the OEM headgasket specifications but you make an interesting point. From what I've seen, the Spec V's tend to blow head gaskets, in general, anywhere between 100 and 140K miles. The FSM didn't have any specifications that I could find describing the head gasket's dimensions, let alone compressed thickness.

I went to Summit racing and did a quick search (Year, Make, Model, Engine) to find OEM-spec'd gaskets-- there was a Mahle Original (Part# 54444) head gasket, which lists "Compressed Thickness (in):0.020 in."

While, that is promising, I would use the same method to cross reference a few other sites/manufacturer's just to proceed with more certainty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did go to Summit Racing but I missed the compression thickness for some reason. That would be the thinnest gasket so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have been thinking the same thing. I am doing a high compression build and am wondering what thickness cometic gasket to get since they make several..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts