B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*EDIT: Read what Nismo240 says a couple replies down for a real solution*

First off I just want to say hi to everyone, first time posting on the board. I bought a SE w/PP 5 speed about 2 weeks ago. Alot of the info on this board helped with my purchase.

The first thing I wanted to do to my car was upgrade the stereo system in the car. So I did my research on this board and others on what size speakers to get. I couldn't do the whole system at once(finances) so I decided to first get a 4 channel amp and 6 1/2 comps for the front. Later I will ad a sub(s) and head unit.

I wanted to get the most bang for the buck, and I think I did a pretty decent job. I got ALOT of information from www.sounddomain.com The people on the boards there have alot of great info and know where to get the best deals. I got a pair of Orion HCCA 6s speakers for $180 and a Orion XTR 800.4 amp for $283 off of www.ubid.com

The speakers usual go for arround $549 and the amp arround $450 off other websites, and MUCH higher for retail. Only problem is that ubid is not authorized by Orion and you only get a 3 month waranty. But for the price I payed it was WELL worth it. Both pieces came brand new with no problems, I HIGHLY recomend bidding on ubid for car audio stuff if you know what you are doing and know what the cheapest price you can get at other places. Enough with my rambling, here is what I found out when installing the speakers.

Ok, from all the research done on these boards, it is common knowledge that the front speakers mounting depth is very shallow. About 1 7/8 inches in the max depth with the window down. And most good speakers that you buy need at least 2 1/2 inches. The speakers I bought needed 2 7/8 inches because they are pretty hefty.

So ahead of time I knew I would have to make some type of spacer with MDF so the speaker would fit. I am a total novice at this stuff so I had to buy all sorts of new tools. Dremel, saw, MDF and all sorts of other stuff I didnt have. Dremel was most expensive, $80, but I knew I could use it for other stuff. (And I have always wanted one, men need there toys ya know). I was not into the idea of having to make some type of circle using MDF since I am not the most skilled craftsman, but it would be alot cheaper then paying $450 for my amp and speakers to be installed in factory locations.

Ok, so after I ran the amp power wires and such, I proceeded to take the doors apart. The way the speakers are in the door is the wierdest thing I have ever seen. I know I need picks of this for those who have not seen them, but for those of you that have, you know what I mean. The speaker and the actual mounting hardware is the same piece. The speaker wire connection is on the side almost even with the cone and not in the back near the magnet. Very odd. But this got me thinking!

The problem isn't the mounting depth, its the fact that the stock speaker and mounting hardware are one piece. So in order to upgrade the speakers, you need to take out the whole plastic mounting section and drill new holes. Well, i thought, what If I just take the speaker OUT of the plastic mounting piece. Well, thats not posible by conventional methods, but I think it can be done by FORCE.

My thinking was this, if I could some how take out the speaker that was in there and just place the new speaker in the plastic mounting bracket, I could just mount the new one in there and have plenty of depth. So I lined up the mounting bracket to the new speaker and they matched up perfect(not sure if this will be true for everyone). So then I proceded to figure out what needed to be done to get the other speaker out.

Truthfully this took about half a second to figure this out, I knew I would just have to literaly destory the stock speakers for this to work. So this might not be for everyone. You will not have your stock speakers after you do this. You will have to replace the front speakers again with aftermarket or such if you take out the spekaers you are putting in. This was not a concern of mine since it would save me hours maybe even days because I wouldnt have to cut MDF rings.

So, this is what I did. I just ripped out the cones. Then I took the dremmel tool to cut out the basket. It cut throught the plastic like it was butter. The whole prosses took about 5 minutes for both speakers. Then I need to see if the new speakers would fit. It was perfect, screwed the speakers into the plastic and got I nice airtight seal. Then put them into the car, perfect fit with tons of depth to spare(and time). Now this might not be everyones cup of tea because you basically destroy the stock speakers, but it will save you tons of time if you don't want to make the spacers, or don't really know how to(like myself).

Sorry for the really long post. I will try and post some pictures when I take the door off again. I havn't perminatly mounted the tweaters yet, I am trying out a couple places first to get the best imaging. If you have any questions or don't understand my rambling, just ask away I will check the thread.

Hope this helps

etech

btw-sorry about the spelling and grammar, its like 5am

[This message has been edited by etech (edited March 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hey welcome to the boards... :)

That was some pretty interesting info and I printed it out so I can look at every option there is ,,,cause i'm the type that hates taking the long route when I can go the easy way but the info. is helpfull,,,and pics would be cool,,,,Thanks

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
182 Posts
How did you wire the amp from the head unit to the trunk... If you put it in the trunk? I want to try doing it my self and was wondering if it was hard to do? I will probably to the same method with the front speakers, as you did. I dont care about the stockers! Thank for the info!

------------------
My 2001 Sentra SE and my jet-ski's are my favorite toys!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm fairly new to the b15. However, since my girlfriend purchased an se/pp about 3 weeks ago, I've been trying to find out about it and I must say that this site is very imformative. I own a 97 s14. Enough already.
I am also a MECP certified installer and you guys need some guidance when it comes to the front speakers. You don't need to rip the stock speakers out to make new ones fit in the front doors. There is a speaker bracket available from Scosche. The number is the SAT-6 and goes for about $12. Any local install bay should have them. These are a breeze to install and you don't destroy the OEM speakers. Great if you lease!
If you have any q's just let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nismo240: Ack!! All that writing for nothing :) You are absolutly right. Just checked Scosches website, its right on the site. It says its for Toyotas but it looks to be the same EXACT piece that would fit. This info will help ALOT of people out. Thanks for info.

MJ2001SE: I mounted the amp on a piece of 1/2 MDF that fits between the rear seats and the trunk. I wanted to put it under one of the front seats but it was too big. When I get a sub box, i think I will just mount the amp and crossover on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts