B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a small discussion going on in the "General" Forum about Cold Start Engine Clatter on the SR20DE. Several B15 owners have been experiencing this problem. I have found a solution to the problem.

The Clatter problem is caused by a lack of lubricating oil on startup. It typically occurs when the motor has been sitting for several hours. Gravity pulls all the standing oil into the oilpan. This means that until oil is pumped from the pan, the motor is essentially running "dry." This is BAD because your getting metal on metal contact which creates significant wear. That is the cause of the clatter. Ever notice that the clatter diminishes once oil pressure is established?

Anyway, there is a company called Masterlube that makes a device that creates oil pressure BEFORE you start the engine. Essentially, it begins flowing oil before any internal engine parts before they start to move. This means that once you crank the engine over, all the internal parts are already bathed in oil. This greatly reduces engine wear, and should get rid of the clatter problem.

http://www.masterlube.net

Now, here is the deal. It is a universal kit, but should be easily adapted to the Sentra. All you need to do is tap into the oil supply....probably at the oil pressure sending unit. There is a couple wire hookup for the units electrical power, and a interior mounted switch that activates the pump. It uses compressed gas to flow the oil. Its a very cool. The owner said the device is patented. They've been making them for 12 years.

Now for the price. If we can get 3 orders, the cost will be $290 for the basic kit, and $325 for the full stainless steel version. The standard price is $325 and $375 respectively. It isn't the cheapest thing in the world, but it could save you big bucks in the long run. They say 80% of engine wear occurs on start up. With all that mechanical noise, I'd have to say they are right.

What do you guys think? Would any of you be interested in something like this?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I run my car on synthetic oil in winter, and I live in Mtl, where the winter are pretty coarse. I used a block heater whenever it is possible (our Canadian SEs are factory equipped with one:D ).

I never use any extra device with my other cars and have been through lot of winter and lot of mileage without any major problem.

And, once again, it is 500$ for us in Canada. Sucks to be us for living the wrong side of the frontier...:mad:

I'll skipped that one , but thanks for the info!:cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts