B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi boys! Ok, I've done searches, but nothing came up... Here's the thing. 2 months ago, I had Energy Suspension motor inserts installed (only the front ones on the cross-member). After the first day, the wheel-hop came back and I never wondered why until I checked the other day, and there they were, both inserts cracked and torn apart and the passenger side insert popped out a bit... I'm wondering if this is because I didn't have the rear inserts installed or if I was just not lucky...

Does anyone here have Energy Suspension motor mount inserts that popped out? How many have all 4 inserts and does this solve the problem?

I had a new set installed yersterday and we put all 4 inserts in. We raised the idle to 800 rpm with Consult-II and to my surprise, I have little to no vibrations even under full load (A/C, sound system, defrost, high beams). We also checked to see if we could put a washer for the front ones, but everything looked tight and perfect fit with the ES MMI... I hope the problem won't come back again.

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
must not have searched too hard, here is a thread titled "MMI pop out warning" :D

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85062&highlight=mmi

I installed mine about 6-8 months ago, and recently noticed that all four were coming out to some extent or another. I put a washer in the front set to help hold it in, but haven't gotten to the back ones yet (see my thread about breaking one of the crossmember bolts :( ).

My thoughts about the two inserts vs. all four are that they were designed as a set, as were the two motor mounts, to work together. Vibrations be damned, I would rather use all four and have consistent pressure applied to each mount then have one be solid and another be soft.

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
Your problem was that you only put in the front inserts to begin with. This puts far too much stress on the mount and inserts. Whether or not you put in both front and rear inserts there is a chance that the inserts will pop out. Its happened to a number of people.

Honestly the only way to not worry about having this issue is to just get full replacement mounts from Place Racing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

And by the way, I read that pop-out warning thread, a friend of mine wrote it! But they're not Energy Suspension, so even though the principle could apply, a different product works differently... For example, the MMI he had in that thread were more loose than ES are and that's why he had to put a washer... ES are a tight fit and I don't see what I could put there... Maybe a 1mm washer, but that's so thin, that it could bend any time and even generate metal vibrations being metal-metal contact... I don't know what to do other than hope that they don't crack or pop-out now that I have all 4 installed (less stress on the engine and mounts).

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
OrangeVee said:
Thanks!

And by the way, I read that pop-out warning thread, a friend of mine wrote it! But they're not Energy Suspension, so even though the principle could apply, a different product works differently... For example, the MMI he had in that thread were more loose than ES are and that's why he had to put a washer... ES are a tight fit and I don't see what I could put there... Maybe a 1mm washer, but that's so thin, that it could bend any time and even generate metal vibrations being metal-metal contact... I don't know what to do other than hope that they don't crack or pop-out now that I have all 4 installed (less stress on the engine and mounts).
I have the ES, granted they are on a gxe, and I was able to fit a 5mm washer in there once I forced the inserts back in. Used a pry bar to wedge it in, but once I bolted it back up, the bolt went through the motor mount just as far as before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts