B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Clutch? Whats a Clutch?
Joined
·
179 Posts
I have the same problem... so do a bunch of otherpeople i hear... they say its the fuel pump. Unfortuneately for me when i took it in to get looked at...since its sporadic...they couldnt reproduce the problem...
 

·
Expert NOOB
Joined
·
177 Posts
isn't it amazing that as soon as you bring your car to the shop it never wants to reproduce! I have a buzz at 4500-5000 RPMs and everytime i bring it in they either say nothings wrong or the last time the think it might be the rear shocks. I know it's not the shocks so i don't think they got it to buzz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
best thing to do... turn the key to "run" but not start

wait 10 seconds

turn off the AC etc...

start the car, but don't let go of the key from "start" right away, wait until it's clearly running.

solves 99% of the time.

i get misfires... wonder if it's the ignition coils
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Same thing!

Mine seems to so that only if it has been sitting for at least 40min-1 hour IN THE HOT SUN. If it's in shade it's fine. Usually 85-100 degrees out.
 

·
SER Mod Father
Joined
·
3,419 Posts
Mine was starting to do the same thing after the 2000 mile drive to Louisiana. Worried me a little, but I figured we were ripping it all apart anyways and I had a plane ticket home (well actually to go chill in FL) so it really didn't worry me. Checked my oil and didn't burn a drop on the way. Hopefully the complete rebuild fixed the problem JK. I don't think this prob is uncommon.
 

·
TV owns my soul
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
It can happen to just about any car. I've notice it on mine form time to time,,, but I never thought to notice if it was temperature related(sitting in sun or shade). I just put the key to run, wait a second or 2 (anymore than 3 is overkill), and then start like normal. I don't think it's wise to hold the key in START longer than neccesary, I believe that can damage the starter motor. When I turn the key to RUN for a few seconds before starting, I've never noticed any problems.
 

·
Vibrant Blue Army
Joined
·
456 Posts
TinySpotV said:
Same thing!

Mine seems to so that only if it has been sitting for at least 40min-1 hour IN THE HOT SUN. If it's in shade it's fine. Usually 85-100 degrees out.
I have the same exact problem. Also, my car vibrates kind of hard when it starts as well. My mom pointed it out when she took my car to the market a few days ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
WaLdo98 said:
I have the same exact problem. Also, my car vibrates kind of hard when it starts as well. My mom pointed it out when she took my car to the market a few days ago.
the vibration is a misfire. If it happens twice in a certain number of starts / miles, you'll get an engine code.

Most likely you'd see black crap shooting out the tail pipe too.

When this happens I turn it off immediately, and try again.
 

·
TV owns my soul
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Uhhh, how can you diagnose a misfire from just "vibrates kinda hard"...?

I mean, I'm not saying it's not a possibility, but some people's "kinda hard" may be like "my change kinda almost rattles" and other's could be "my rearview mirror keeps coming unglued".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Hey fellas,

I had the same random hard starting problem. After an assload of trips to my dealership...and after getting two new batteries, a new crank angle sensor, and a new ecu...they finally hooked up some gauges to my fuel pump. What they found is that the fuel pump was losing pressure.

They replaced my fuel pump and an o-ring several months ago. I have not had a single problem starting my car since. I've got a very detailed thread on thevboard in the maintenance section. I'd post a link, but thevboard is down.

Good luck
 

·
TV owns my soul
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Well, mine's never been that hard of a start, more just like a "delayed start" compared to what it sounds like some of you are hitting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
I had the same problem bro. It's the **** electric fuel pump. Take it to Nissan and they'll swap it out for u. Mine woks great now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
keV said:
Hey fellas,

I had the same random hard starting problem. After an assload of trips to my dealership...and after getting two new batteries, a new crank angle sensor, and a new ecu...they finally hooked up some gauges to my fuel pump. What they found is that the fuel pump was losing pressure.

They replaced my fuel pump and an o-ring several months ago. I have not had a single problem starting my car since. I've got a very detailed thread on thevboard in the maintenance section. I'd post a link, but thevboard is down.

Good luck
Same problem. On mine they reset the ECU and replaced a resistor spring in the cam shaft circuit with no results. They never could get the car to reproduce the problem at the dealership until one day....FINALLY! They then determined it was the fuel regulator which is housed inside the fuel pump so the pump was replaced free of charge under the powertrain warranty. No problems since.

Have the dealership check the fuel pump on your vehicle. I know how embarrassing and annoying this problem can be!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top