B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the few Occasions Ive drove my car hard, a couple of times on high speed turns (off ramp), I felt the back skid, or slide out.

I was wondering, is it the tires ??

Or would a good set of springs (eibach) or a good rear sway bar be best to help with this ?

Thanks for any input.

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE w/pp 5spd

Ghetto Grill
Racing Pedals
Replacement Antenna
Side Markers (soon)
Front Mud Flaps
- - - - - - -
SpIcEz.com

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Get some tires. The stock tires blow. The firestones in particular don't have sidewalls that are stiff enough to keep from falling over. I was always afraid that I was going to slide the tires right off the rims.

You aren't going to find a sway bar yet except from stillen. None of us are sure how well this piece performs though.

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter

G

·
I too have found that the rear end wants to let go when driven hard. A good set of tires is probably going to offer the most noticeable performance enhancement. Adding more rear sway bar will INCREASE the rear end's tendancy to swing out. That would be bad.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
-Place Racing CAI
-No More Zip Ties!

·
Registered
778 Posts
whats the best tires to go with? i have an extra set of nitto 450's but ive heard bad things about them such as it follows the grooves in the cement and they suck on hard turns. basically, i want to know what i should get for performance/handling.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ive got those nt450's on my k-1's, they are okay but not great. Lets just say they are worth the price i paid which wasnt alot :)

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*
(Searching for a Honda EF or 240sx Coupe)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks.

So here is another question, anyone have good results with a 16 inch tire and which model and size. Thanks.

Main reason Im asking is cause it seems not many models come in these 2 sizes :
205/50/16
215/45/16

------------------

Ghetto Grill
Racing Pedals
Replacement Antenna
Side Markers (soon)
Front Mud Flaps
- - - - - - -
SpIcEz.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondering if anyone tried the Sumimoto HTR Z II

Tirerack gives it a good rating and ppl gave great reviews. Plus they look really good and seem to performe well.

They come in :
205/45WR16
205/50ZR16

You guys think 205/45 would scrap the speedo rating ? in anycase teh 205/50's are cheaper anyways...

------------------

Ghetto Grill
Racing Pedals
Replacement Antenna
Side Markers (soon)
Front Mud Flaps
- - - - - - -
SpIcEz.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_SpIcEz:
Wondering if anyone tried the Sumimoto HTR Z II

Tirerack gives it a good rating and ppl gave great reviews. Plus they look really good and seem to performe well.

They come in :
205/45WR16
205/50ZR16

You guys think 205/45 would scrap the speedo rating ? in anycase teh 205/50's are cheaper anyways...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm running the sumitomo's on my 17's and there great. They have awsome grip on dry or wet. Last pretty long. Good Price. I say there the best for the buck. I can't say enough about them.

With the tires you can go way harder around turns but you'll still feel the *** slide if you push it hard enough. So sway bars and a good drop would really help out. As far as tires go I also recomend the Kumho's. Those tires are suppose to be almost as good as the HTR Z II's, they last longer, and there a little cheaper. Richard at Nis-knacks told me to get those for my next set.

------------------
B-15 SE, 17X7 Kosei Racing Senekas, Sumitomo HTRZ2. Kaizo Speed Gear

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input TSR14

Thats pretty much what Im thinking right now, either the Kumho Ecsta 712 or the Sumimoto HTRZ II.

I guess whichever I find first around here :)

Gotta find a good place for tires in Montreal. (Any montrealers with a clue ? )

Ordering off the net for us canadians is a freaking hassle, isnt worth it due to border taxes (free trade my ***). And add shipping to that, its not even funny.

------------------
SpIcEz.com

[This message has been edited by Mr_SpIcEz (edited April 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
No offence dude, but there is no way you were able to kick the *** end of the car out. (on dry pavement -no, in rain -maby, in snow - I'd believe that) In stock form the car is designed with moderate oversteer because this is the safest handling charteristic for the average drivers. Most people wouldn't have a clue what to do if the *** end started to come arround.

Springs and tires realy won't solve this problem. Stillen's adjustable RSB will make the car more neutral handling. You may be able to invoke oversteer if there is enough adjustment to the bar.

Doc

Mr_SpIcEz said:
On the few Occasions Ive drove my car hard, a couple of times on high speed turns (off ramp), I felt the back skid, or slide out.

I was wondering, is it the tires ??

Or would a good set of springs (eibach) or a good rear sway bar be best to help with this ?

Thanks for any input.

------------------

Ghetto Grill
Racing Pedals
Replacement Antenna
Side Markers (soon)
Front Mud Flaps
- - - - - - -
SpIcEz.com

G

·
I would tend to disagree. The rear end can and will step out on you in hard cornering, especially decellerating. Once weight gets transferred forward, things get kinda scary out back. I did some erratic maneuvers in a parking lot, and the rear end did break loose on me. That was with the Firestone's though.

I still say better tires are the single biggest handling improvement you can make.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I dont know what your smoking, but I'd like some of it if it prevents my rear end from sliding :)

Seriously, while turning at highspeeds on a tight turn off ramp, I can EASILY make it slide out.

But ya I think I'll be changing the tires. Probably in a month. Think anyone will buy my Firestone GTA's ?? hehe

·
Registered
169 Posts
you must have one of thoes RWD sr20's in your sentra then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, well we know you don't drive hard...lol Ever hear of lift throttle oversteer--Try it its fun!!!

Slow *** driver!!jk

·
Registered
623 Posts
the stock tires blow!!! i always swing my rear end out when my wife is not in the car. it happened to me many times when i get on the on ramp heal toe into 2nd, i sometimes do 180 facing the wrong way. i have 14500 miles on the car and almost all the threads r gone now hehe...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
so you guys recommend Kuhmos huh...... and the best size would be 205/50???......... im probably going to burn my tires anyway so is there a more economical tire??

Jo$h..... know any good places I can get some tires?

how much would a set of Kuhmo 205/50 cost?

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
chinoworld said:
the stock tires blow!!! i always swing my rear end out when my wife is not in the car. it happened to me many times when i get on the on ramp heal toe into 2nd, i sometimes do 180 facing the wrong way. i have 14500 miles on the car and almost all the threads r gone now hehe...

remind me not to ride with you or buy your car :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't had the rear end swing out on me yet. I've gone around some tight corners at some speed and it feels like the rear is about to swing out, but doesn't.

·
Registered
623 Posts
lol lee... i've racked up over 300,000 miles in my life and i never been in a single accident :) o so i dunno y people get scared when im driving, hehe...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts