B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into doin the sub thing, since I changed the rears, and realistically, my highs and mids are fine, but the base coming from that stock sub SUCKS. Makes it worse when you stop to consider I have my Alpine 7864 Head Unit, which is pretty high end. I'm debating either the bazooka tube idea OR an Exceleon 10 inch in a Qlogic, problem with that, is the cost, as trunk space means diddly to me. The Tube is amped, so I might go that way, but man this stock sub for Techno/Trance is terrible, super high distortion too. What should I do, and if you guys got a better recommendation for under 300, let me know.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'd say too just go with the tube it's got the sub and amp all in one alot less to install and it'll keep you in your price range....A friend of mine has one in his car and they don't sound that bad at all.....

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Registered
311 Posts
I recently got a really good setup in my ride consisting of a Kenwood 100W amp, a Panasonic sub, and a home-made box, all for $225. Hits really hard for only 100 watts, and was cheap. By the way, I have the exact same deck as you - and it really really really rocks!

------------------
Samo

1994 Sentra E
"The Ghettoblaster"

Hit me up on AIM at Samo94Sentra!

[This message has been edited by samo (edited March 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
techno and trance (basically all i listen to right now) sounds really good in a sealed box. It doesnt get all boomy as in BP boxes and sounds nice n tight to go with the rapid beats.

Only thing bout Qlogic is if i remember correctly they are made from particle board and not mdf so they are less sturdy than mdf boxes. This can affect some things. I'd go with a box and sub myself, you can buy the parts you want separate such as amp and sub and box and things like that.

My 12" has awesome SQ and bumps real sweet with electronica. My sub is IDQ 12" ($90 cuz i got hooked up) and my box was custom built 1.0cu ft $75 and my amp is RF250a2 $180. So its runnin round 300watts at 2ohms or so. Arent powered bass tubes pretty costly? Maybe go check em out and compare them in a store or something.

------------------
Neil
Visionology Interactive
http://www.visim.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the Infinity Basslink... 200W built in amp with a 10" woofer and 10" passive radiator... got it for $240 including shipping from a shop that sells on Ebay... it's $400 at Crutchfield. Trance/techno/dance sound the way it was meant to sound... the bass is only heard inside the vehicle though... it won't be a thumping system where people can hear it for blocks and blocks

oh yeah it has speaker level inputs too, so it's easy to connect... no need to pull out the head unit at all

------------------
2001 Sentra SE P/P, Window Tint, Razo carbon fiber pedals, SMC short shifter, Energy Suspension shifter bushing, Stillen front air dam, Place Racing CAI, K&N breather

[This message has been edited by Darkwing105 (edited March 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
605 Posts
I got two 10" phoenix gold in a competition box, powered by a Phoenix gold 200w amp. Kicked so hard that I took one out! I am now running on the stock radio and one 10", sounds good to me.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i say go with a 200 watt rms amp on ebay and a 10" infinity reference sub in sealed box...but what do i know

·
Registered
297 Posts
heheh, nice lil setups there guys, damn it sounds to me like you guys are paying way too much for everything. I had 4 10" Audiobahn 1000X(600RMS each), and a custom 1cubic foot per sub box that barely fit in the trunk, and an Audiobahn 2200HC(1600 watts RMS), with a POS Blaupunkt Honolulu radio. Well anyways, I went to a friend's place in Orlando, and one of his roomates has this show truck that got 2nd place at some Orlando DB Battle competition, and comparing systems outside of his house, I beat the crap out of his system, (He had 2 15" Solobaric squares and 2 RFPunch800X2 amps). Boy!, you should have seen the look in his face...hahahhah!. Well anyways since I deal parts with my brother I paid under $1000 for my whole setup including $200+ dollars of Phonenix Gold wiring(no discount on that), I ran a 200amp front mounted fuse to hold the power, and A digital I farad capacitor. Ok well just wanted to let you know, I got rid of the system cuz I travel a lot and I need trunk space, I will let you know when my space saving sound system is installed, I am getting all MB Quart Speakers or all Audiobahn speakers, with either an 8 or 10" sub in the back panel, I might also make a custom bow for 4 12" Audiobahn piston subwoofers(1500watt RMS each) so I have trunk space, with two 2300HC amps going to them(2400watts RMS)...If you guys want real bass you should think about getting the new Audiobahn 34" subwoofer that is 5000Watts RMS, then I think nobody can take you...heheh :)

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Custom Aluminum Mesh Front Grille by Myself, Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust, and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in less than 2 weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
59 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by samo:
I recently got a really good setup in my ride consisting of a Kenwood 100W amp, a Panasonic sub, and a home-made box, all for $225....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what did you make your box out of? i was thinking of making my own box out of plywood (either 1/4" or 1/2" i am not sure) i heard that wood boxes aren't very good, but i am not going for a competition system. what do you recommend?

------------------
2k Sentra SE w/PP
Radium
(no mods yet)

·
Registered
75 Posts
check out home depot, go ask them for MDF or MDG or some 3 letter name... it's the real stuff to make woofer boxes. I made a few with my friends... they're cheap...
to be honest, I would just buy one. making one is a hassle... you gotta seal it properly to make sure there's no air leak, and you must cut ports and everything else very accurately... download some woofer housing program that calculates the proper size / volumn / port of your specific woofer.

------------------
Jay
1997 Honda Prelude Type S
Getting a Sentra SE Sport soon! 2 more months

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I was out checking out the 2K1Civic site and I found pictures of one of their owners rides. This is exactly what I have always wanted to do. I don't know if he had them cast out of fiberglass or what but if these are made right, they will do fine. They are also excellent space savers. If we could find someone who could make these, it would make an awesome group deal.
www.2k1civic.com/members_rides/01CIVICEX/IMG_0014.JPG www.2k1civic.com/members_rides/01CIVICEX/IMG_0015.JPG

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
FOR SALE!
I want the new SE-R!

[This message has been edited by rschauby (edited April 10, 2001).]

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whoa! That's an old thread of mine! :D It's almost two years old.. how funny it took that long to overhaul my audio setup.

·
Designated Drinker
2,416 Posts
lol. i didnt even notice it was drug up from the deep. does anyone know if like, best buy or circuit city or somewhere will let me test out their boxes in my current setup?? like just hook up one of their sub boxes to my amp to see what the sound difference would be??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts