B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever installed these GC Casmber/Caster Plate adapters they sell with their Advanced Design suspension system on a B15 Sentra. We finally got our suspension after 16 weeks, but no one there has any pics or instructions on where exactly to weld these puppies in. Anyone with pics or who has gone through this exercise please let me know.
[email protected].

Many thanks in advance.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
I didn't know GC was even selling C/C plates. Do you have any pictures of the setup. I can probably help if I see how they have them setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
david said:
I didn't know GC was even selling C/C plates. Do you have any pictures of the setup. I can probably help if I see how they have them setup.

Actually they're pretty trick. The adapter plates weld onto the top of the shock tower, but I haven't been able to get anyone at GC, even the designer, to get me an installation page or pictures.

As soon as we get it figured out, I'll post some pics on our site.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
So do you cut a hole out were the top mount is, then weld the camber plates in?

·
Registered
935 Posts
How much for the plate? I had by strut towers drilled to get my negative camber...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You trim the plate that they supply, mark out the camber plate area, cut out the top of the shock tower and then weld in the adapter and mount the caster camber plates. We did it last year on a World Challenge car we built. We didn't use the adapters then, we just cut and reinforced the shock tower. The new way looks a lot stronger for the road racing we'll be doing. I'll post pics as we do the installation.
With the new setup you can get about 5 - 6 degrees of neg camber.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I haven't had my car on the track (just autocrosses) since I had the tower slotted, I'm hoping it will hold well. Although, the mechanic that did it for me is my dad's mechanic and builds Porsche racecars for a living. I asked him about crash bolts and he said, "not for a son of a long time customer like your dad, if we are going to do it, we're going to do it right."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised the mechanic would say that after slotting the shock tower. The bolts can come loose and the strut can slid outward. I've seen it happen many times. Never slot a bolt hole. We drilled holes 1/2 inch inboard and mounted the strut there and then we used "crash" bolts for an additional 1.5 degrees of neg camber for a total of 3 degrees. We race consistently on this set up and have never had a problem.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
I also thought about enlarging the three top strut tower bolt holes, but there are several factors that made me keep it stock:

-> Once you enlarge the holes, there's no going back. Unlike the bottom two strut holes, where you can just get another strut housing if you want the holes back to stock or use crash bolts to begin with.

-> The three upper bolts only require 20 ft/lbs of torque and the strut tower metal is a little too thin for my taste. Conversely, the bottom two bolts need 90 ft/lbs of torque, and the construction of the metal around the two holes is much thicker/stronger.

-> Altering the center strut tower clearance hole is illegal for SCCA STS class autox competition. And it's not exactly a modification that can be hidden easily.

That's not to say I don't have an interest in these GC plates, I really want to see pics and how much they cost. When my car is off road use only in a couple of years I would probably get these and try to get 3-4 degrees of negative camber. I really like the idea of welding an adaptor plate to increase the strength of the strut tower.

One more thing, in terms of caster, do these GC plates allow the top of the strut to be leaning more toward the rear of car to allow more positive caster? This may noticable improve our lackluster steering mechanism by possibly increase steering effort as well as improving straightline tracking.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
hmmmmm... interesting... me want...

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
specVracing said:
Are they adjustable?
Have you ever seen castor/camber plates before? What would be the point if they were not adjustable?

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Dangling Fury said:
Here's a pic of a GC camber/caster plate on an E46 M3:
Actually those are just camber plates. ;)

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
david said:
Have you ever seen castor/camber plates before? What would be the point if they were not adjustable?
A simple question is all it was. No I havent seen them before. Follow your own rules, david.

:rolleyes:

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
They must be slotted underneath. The picture you posted you can't tell. ;)

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
03WhtSpec said:
You can also find camber kits here... http://www.k-mac.com.au/
Its hard to tell fromt their website because it is not very clear but it looks like they are just selling something like a crash bolt. A very expensive one at that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts