B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the dealership would give me guf if I went to get an oil change with my current setup? I don't want them to trip at all about anything.

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Future mods:Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why do you want to go to the dealership to get an oil change?
1) if you're not leasing, no point
2) they're more expensive
3) you get nissan oil and nissan filters... hmm
4) they might say something about it... depends on the service manager, if he's a d*ck... then you know the rest.

I would just go to some trust worthy shop... they'll do just as good, with no hassle. Buy your own oil and stuff and just pay for labour.

------------------
Jay
1997 Honda Prelude Type S
Getting a Sentra SE Sport soon! 2 more months

·
Registered
778 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JayT:
4) they might say something about it... depends on the service manager, if he's a d*ck... then you know the rest.

I would just go to some trust worthy shop... they'll do just as good, with no hassle. Buy your own oil and stuff and just pay for labour.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

its so you can get the maintanence proof on paper so if your car breaks down, you have proof you did all necessary procedures, stuff like that. plus when you sell your car, you could show the papers to potential customers. as for me im with you, might as well do it yourself.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Any oil shop will give you a receipt for the oil change which is good enough proof,,,just get yourself a folder and put all your receipts in it this way if they try to say how do we know you had your oil changed when it was supposed to,,,you can pul out those receipts......

But the dealer might say something,,,no really sure though.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you are just going to shops for oil changes just cuz they hand you a reciept, forget it. I do all my own oil changes. I keep the reciepts for the oil&filter and that is my proof. It saves me money and keeps my car away from that damn Nissan Service Dept.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
FOR SALE!
I want the new SE-R!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The point is, yes, you need those proof... it always helps you in the long run when you do want to sell it. You gotta go to a trustworthy shop, a good well known shop in your area, and just keep them as records. I wouldn't go to Nissan for that (unless Im leasing the car, then I have no choice)
If you change the oil yourself by crawling under, then you better be a mechanic (trustworthy looking)... this is why:
1) some people are just dumb... they think it takes a mechanic to change oil. If it was done by someone else that is not a professional, then they might think you have not done a good job, or at least, less superior than the mechanics at Nissan
2) oil change is cheap, and you don't have to throw out the oil yourself if you go to a shop
3) people don't trust mechanics that sell their cars unless it is in VERY good condition - I sometimes think if my mechanic scams me... I check everything they did to be on the safe side

that's my two cents.

------------------
Jay
1997 Honda Prelude Type S
Getting a Sentra SE Sport soon! 2 more months

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JayT:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Resale. Customer loyality points if a issue/problem arrises.
2) It's not that expensive. Besides, I can't, I live in an apartment complex.
3) Nissan oil filters are high quaility, and my dealership uses Castrol GTX, what I always used in my 92 Topaz. It's engine was clean as new when I traded it @ 158k miles.
4) Maybe...

What no one has mentioned is that every other oil change is not just an oil change. Various things are done @ 7500 miles, for example. Tire rotation, visual inspection of brakes, lines.

Also, these are when TSB and recalls are checked. If you never go the dealer, you may miss these.

There's more to maintaining your car for warranty purposes than changing the oil and filter.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the reason I ask this is because, unlike the some of you, my Nissan dealership is actually really really cool with me. I know the service manager, Todd, and he always helps me, especially with all the warranty issues, and even with the oil changes, tire rotations, and whatnot. I don't want to lose the faith in Todd when I did my mods, to turn them away from me, just simply because I did aftermarket modifications.

I had a talk with him awile ago, and he recommended against the mods, but looks to me that my mods are as close to stock setup as could be. All the connections remain the same, and no emissions stuff has been messed with.

I've also had bad run ins with the shops around here about oil changes. I know it is easy, and I probably could do it, but one, for me, it's time consuming, I don't have a house, so I need to take it to someone that has ramps or a lift, and I get totally lazy most of the time. Heck, I'm proud of myself for doing these aftermarket mods myself with a little help!

All in all, I'm a bit skeptical of anyone other than Nissan to do my oil change, other than myself. When I get my own place, I would imagine myself doing it myself. :) Thanks for all the inputs peoples.

------------------
Marvin
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
4 Posts
they shouldnt give you any problems about it, if you feel they will then just go to another nissan dealership. bolt on dont void the warranty unless they cause the problem. most of the people in the service dept will prob give you props

------------------
2kSentra se w/pp heatwave
jwt pop, hs headers, smc ss, tint, custom exhaust, timing 18 degrees, momo combat shift knob

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good deal Shavi. I'm thinking of just taking it down the street to have someone do both my oil change and state inspection. I hope they aren't picky. I can't stand player haters. :)

------------------
Marvin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts