B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Suffering From Boost Envy
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im looking to add a little more boom to the car but i dont have the money to get a 12" so i wanted to know what was a good sub that can replace and fit into the hole where the stocker goes. Also I would like to know if it can use the stock amp or if it needed an upgrade thanks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
my guess would be no.....you have the RF package? or just the 7 speaker "premium" package? either way..I wouldn't put any other sub in that box.....and I don't think the stock amp would power a different sub to sound any better than the one thats in there...just my .02

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really so theres nothing else out there that gives a little extra thump for cheap. Oh well i guess ill save up then. I guess I'll just ask this now what is a good power range to look at if you want decent SPL and good SQ too I was looking to find a good sub that put out around 500 or so rms maybe the RF?

·
Registered
631 Posts
i'll tell you what i tell everyone who wants a single sub

Infinity Kappa 12 Perfect VQ in a 1.2CF sealed box, MidQ insert, and a JL 500/1. you'll be more than amazed.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what will that run price wise?

·
Registered
631 Posts
LoS8 said:
what will that run price wise?

the JL 500/1 varies. get it off ebay.
cardomain.com store for the kappa, i got mine $180shipped. (cosmetic defect, a rippled sticker, a sweet deal though)
the box, you have to build yourself/pay someone to build it. just make sure the inside volume is 1.18-1.22 CF (1CF is ideal, and the sub displaces .18CF)

materials for hte box, maybe $50 for everything.

it'll thump to the end of the earth, and the SQ is absolutely unreal.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Jasper said:
i'll tell you what i tell everyone who wants a single sub

Infinity Kappa 12 Perfect VQ in a 1.2CF sealed box, MidQ insert, and a JL 500/1. you'll be more than amazed.
what do you think of the perfect 10.1? thats what I have in an infinity bandpass box....

·
Registered
631 Posts
SPECSen said:
what do you think of the perfect 10.1? thats what I have in an infinity bandpass box....

never heard it

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Jasper said:
it'll thump to the end of the earth, and the SQ is absolutely unreal.

Cmon now, lets not get too out of controll here. Its a killer setup for the money....yes. However I'd put even my O series 12 up against a VQ anyday and bet it would not only out SPL it, but out SQ it as well.....
:cool:
Anyhow, IF you were to replace your factory sub you would have to get an amp to power it. IF you were to do that, you would want to get another sub to justify the amp.
May I suggest:
IF you just want a little more bass, and want to keep your trunk space.....
Get some 7 inch Vifa's for the rear deck. I have been wanting to try these out for a long time and see how I like it without the BIG bass of two 12's. They are relatively cheap at like 60 bucks each. Then get a nice set of components for the front. Pair those with a nice 4 ch amp and a decent HU and youll be way more than happy. IF you want lots of bass though, do like Jasper said. Amp, Sub, Box, and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Jasper said:
never heard it
There is 3 in the line I believe....

the 10/12.1
the 10/12.1d
and the 10/12.1d VQ

·
Registered
631 Posts
SpeC-V_Freak said:
Cmon now, lets not get too out of controll here. Its a killer setup for the money....yes. However I'd put even my O series 12 up against a VQ anyday and bet it would not only out SPL it, but out SQ it as well.....
:cool:
okay...drive up to boston once your boosted. we'll put my 2 kappa 12 VQs w/ my phoenix gold Xenon 1200.1 against your setup :)

only stipulation is we hafta match gains, so we're putting out the same wattage (otherwise, it wouldnt be fair :))

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Jasper said:
never heard it
my buddy had the 10.1 in the same box I have in his integra with a RF power 800.2 bridged to it....it hit hard and didn't distort at all...you could stand about 10 ft in front of his car and it would vibrate your clothes....but when he put it in his gtp hooked up to the stock stereo off line converters the distortion blew the **** out of it...so he bought a new one and sold it to me...its sealed in the bandpass box with silicon....but my current amp is ****...so it doesn't sound optimum....i mean it sounds great, but not as loud as it was in his...

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that set up looks pretty nice I think I may look into it when i have the money

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SpeC-V_Freak said:
There is 3 in the line I believe....

the 10/12.1
the 10/12.1d
and the 10/12.1d VQ
actually 4...

there is also the 10/12.1 vq

the differences are 10/12.1 350 W rms 1400 W peak 4 ohms
10/12.1d 350 W rms 1400 W peak 2 or 8 ohm
10/12.1 vq 400 W rms 1600 W peak 4 ohms
10/12.1 vq 400 W rms 1600 W peak 2 or 8 ohm

/end hijacking :D

·
Vibrant Blue Army
1,637 Posts
i have a jl 8w3-d2 sub...i think it sounds great...retains the stock box features without sliding everywhere...and more bass than the stocker...dual voice coil...i have it with an aftermarktet amp....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Jasper said:
okay...drive up to boston once your boosted. we'll put my 2 kappa 12 VQs w/ my phoenix gold Xenon 1200.1 against your setup :)

only stipulation is we hafta match gains, so we're putting out the same wattage (otherwise, it wouldnt be fair :))
I dont want this to turn into a "my penis is bigger than yours" type of dealee here, but you said ONE VQ on a JL 500 at first.
Which would get PWNED in every aspect with a tantrum 1200 (1454 RMS) driving one 12 O series. The setup you switched to would be VERY comparable. I'd still own in SPL though.
You decided to go with the xenon? Did you know thats a repackaged tantrum?
Just an FYI since you saind the tantrum blew....LOL
I had to bro sorry........hehehehehe

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
SPECSen said:
had a 10.1 perfect.. I just wish I had 300 or 350w pushing to it not 220.. the thing is a power hog, but man was it punchy and responsive..

Los8...

I'm looking to get an IDQ10d2 v.2 soon.. (about a month)
I have an amp otw, it's going to get 285wrms pushed to it in a .5cf box.

This sub should be really punchy.. If you're not in a rush I'll let you check it out when I have it all setup and installed.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Whats the V.2 rated at?
I'm not too familiar with ID products but .5 seems pretty small. You may wanna come at it with more than 285 if you want it to be real tight/accurate/etc......

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
it wants 250w RMS.... I'm not amping my internals either BTW... I'm running them off of HU power, so I don't need much to overcome them.

if they aren't loud enough, I'll do a 1cf ported box (ID specs say it's an OK size to run on that sub)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts