B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal. A few months ago I tried to do the "big 3" wire upgrade. I only got 2 of the 3 wire upgraded. I did the - battery terminal to chassie and alternater to + of the battery, but did not know where to find the engine ground wire. I had the 2/3 wire upgraded and left it like that for about a month and my - battery terminal started to eat itself up. It was pretty nasty and I couldnt even start my car because of so much build up. It ate away the - batterty terminal that I bought off knukonceptz.com and I had to buy a new one off my local auto shop, the ugly stock clapping one.
I got pissed so I took out the wires changed it back. Back than I only had a small amp to power my speakers. Now I have 2 amps and think it should try it again.

The only problem is I still dont know where the 3rd wire is, the ground from engine to chassis. I asked but it was kind hard for someone to explain where it is at without pictures. A few days ago I remember seeing a picture of someone doing the big 3 upgrade with the 3rd wire coming form the engine to the chassise but i forgot to save the picture. If anyone has any pics of there big 3 set up please post it up. If you dont know how to post it up email me with your picture and I will post it up for you. [email protected]

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is the engine to chassis just any bolt on the engine and ground it to the chassis or do I have to find a partical spot?

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
I believe it's a particular bolt on the bottom of the engine block somewhere.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
The third engine to chassis wire is located underneath the car, directly underneath the battery, it's actually attached to the tranny. Just stick your head under your front bumper on the driver's side and look up.....can't miss it :) Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
From what you described, it made it sound like you replaced those wires, is that correct? Its best to just add to the factory wiring, since current will take the path of least resistance anyways.

*Sidenote* Did I see somewhere you are running a Diamond M6 12? If I'm not mistaken werent you looking for a sub not too long ago?
Just curious as to how you are liking it.....and what you are driving it with.

EDIT:Diwun67 is correct, I read your original post wrong.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No im not looking for a sub or was looking for a sub. Maybe back then long time ago when I was looking for the infinity perfect subs. I got my Diamond Audio M6 sub used for $90 shipped.

No I did not replace my wire, I just added to it. But the - Battery terminal got eatten up by some acid or some **** like that and I had to replace the - battery termial with some cheap one than I replaced the wire.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Find the stock batt - to chassis ground, look at the ring terminal that bolts it to the chassis. On the other side of this same connector there's another wire continuing on, this is the engine ground and it's about 1.5' long and bolts to the tranny right below that spot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have a question with that post. On glenstiles first post when he posted the pics on the last one, he had a wire coming from the alternator going up to the engine. Isnt he sending a + current to a grounding spot? Cuz I connected the a 4 gauge wire from alternator (where the red rubber is at) to the + of the battery terminal. Im I doing something wrong or is it something that I am not getting??

edit: nvm I zoomed in the pic saw that he mounted it the ground of the alternator.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SuperAkuma said:
I have a question with that post. On glenstiles first post when he posted the pics on the last one, he had a wire coming from the alternator going up to the engine. Isnt he sending a + current to a grounding spot? Cuz I connected the a 4 gauge wire from alternator (where the red rubber is at) to the + of the battery terminal. Im I doing something wrong or is it something that I am not getting??

edit: nvm I zoomed in the pic saw that he mounted it the ground of the alternator.

I'm not positive...but i'm pretty sure the alt. charges through the negative cable....right?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
1SentraNotEnuff said:
Uh let me think uh NO

so the alt charges the battery through the positive cable? so it sends current the opposite way its flowing through the positive cable? explain how this works cuz I'm not that mechanically inclined

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
SPECSen said:
so the alt charges the battery through the positive cable? so it sends current the opposite way its flowing through the positive cable? explain how this works cuz I'm not that mechanically inclined

it's a loop, in order to charge the batt the current needs to flow into it and out of it. Whether it goes in the + terminal on the batt or in the - terminal....well that's a little too scientific for a sentra forum, regardless you need to have adequate wire for both sides (+ and -), the - side is the entire chassis of the car, so it's pretty good already, but the + side needs some help.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
2001 SE #2 said:
it's a loop, in order to charge the batt the current needs to flow into it and out of it. Whether it goes in the + terminal on the batt or in the - terminal....well that's a little too scientific for a sentra forum, .
Well we all know where engineers think electron flow originates, :rolleyes: a technician will beg to differ, :D but yeah, too scientific for me to think about anywhere anymore.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts