B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I am going to re-do my ghetto grill, I had it like this for a couple of months now, but with the hot weather the glue is melting and the damn gutter guard fell out. My car is black, so it must get pretty hot under there!

Any you guys use anything else besides a hot glue gun?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yup
We bent some of the mesh into the lip of the frame.

Mine I did dry. It held without the glue. The glue is just there to make sure it doesnt come off.

Sentra_Stylin did it in one step, bend grill/glue, bend grill/blue.

Same difference. I guess it gives the same results.

If you didint bend it into the lip, then thats why its unglueing.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Correct :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
What are you guys using for your grills? I've heard Gutta Gard, aluminum mesh, etc. I'm a newbie when it comes to car mods, so I'm curious. (My mods now consist of an audio system and keyless entry--I have an XE--and I'm gonna tint the windows, etc.) A friend of mine got me interested. I'm 17 so I guess my work money now goes for car stuff. And do places actually make custom grills for lazy people like me? That way I know at least they'll do a better installation job than I ever will.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The installation is REALLY easy.
Check Sentra Stylin's web site for instructions.

Gutter Guard is made of aluminum Mesh, so its one and the same.

Also, if you buy a pre made one, you'll still have to fit it to your frame and it'll cost ya probably 40 to 50$

Gutter Guard is like 13$ CND for 5 sheets.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
it is fairly easy and the price to buy one pre-made is more like in the $100 dollar range ,,,and no one has a pre-made one for our car anyways.......my site has instructions,,and you can but the same exact stuff I used thru http://www.truevalue.com and in the search box type in gutterguard and it's a roll of aluminum mesh 6"X20 Ft. and it'l run ya about $6 bucks....

·
Registered
297 Posts
damn, if I didn't have summer school I would make grilles for whomever wants one for 30 bucks shipped, you send me your grille then I would send you yours back thru priority mail a day or two afterwards. It took me a long as time to make it (like 4 hours), and I am really good with handywork, well I guess I was trying to be really careful for my grille. Yeah there are better adhesives than Hot Glue, and If the weather were you are goes over 95 degrees farenheit then I suggest using one of the other alternate adhesives, ask around at the nearest home depot or Lowe's. My grille has been on the car for quite a while (I was the 3rd or 4th to get it on there) and still looks great. Mine differs from everyone else's in that it has 3 layers of gutter guard and one layer of silver aluminum mosquitoe mesh, the mosquitoe mesh gives it a fuller look and blocks the view of the radiator, and other stuff you don't need to see. It looks amazing and it held pretty well until I was going 120mph and the bottom loosened a bit, I supoer glued and sealed it with one of the other adhesives and it is better than ever now. I am still thinking wether I want to make them, and if I can get 5 or more people interested I will probably go ahead and do them for yall, let me know, later

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
2k1DragSentra said:
damn, if I didn't have summer school I would make grilles for whomever wants one for 30 bucks shipped, you send me your grille then I would send you yours back thru priority mail a day or two afterwards. It took me a long as time to make it (like 4 hours), and I am really good with handywork, well I guess I was trying to be really careful for my grille. Yeah there are better adhesives than Hot Glue, and If the weather were you are goes over 95 degrees farenheit then I suggest using one of the other alternate adhesives, ask around at the nearest home depot or Lowe's. My grille has been on the car for quite a while (I was the 3rd or 4th to get it on there) and still looks great. Mine differs from everyone else's in that it has 3 layers of gutter guard and one layer of silver aluminum mosquitoe mesh, the mosquitoe mesh gives it a fuller look and blocks the view of the radiator, and other stuff you don't need to see. It looks amazing and it held pretty well until I was going 120mph and the bottom loosened a bit, I supoer glued and sealed it with one of the other adhesives and it is better than ever now. I am still thinking wether I want to make them, and if I can get 5 or more people interested I will probably go ahead and do them for yall, let me know, later
I'd Like to add that if you look at anyone of the store bought ones they also use the hot glue method,,,I also have not had one problem with my grille staying put I've done the 120 mph thing as well and I always use a power washer to clean it and it never loosened...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah

yeah that's cool, you must be a good hot gluer, my grill was my first time hot glueing so that's why it loosened, but anywho I learned from my mistakes and the next one will be better and more rigid. I just didn't compress it in place while it was still hot in some areas and that's why it came loose, I just figured that out, BUT OTHER ADHESIVES WORK WAY BETTER, LIKE AUTOMOTIVE GOOP, OR GEL-LIKE SUPER GLUE.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What dremel?

I never used a dremel at all on mines, what u talkign about?, what freaking clips? I am confused now, ohh well, I luv how mine looks and don't want to cahnge it

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: What dremel?

2k1DragSentra said:
I never used a dremel at all on mines, what u talkign about?, what freaking clips? I am confused now, ohh well, I luv how mine looks and don't want to cahnge it
Those little clips that are along the bottom side of the chrome trim,,,,I cut them off to get a flusher look....I tried the first time with those clips on and I didn't like the way it looked at all,,,,so I said screw it and shaved them off,,,and I'm glad I did.......

·
Registered
297 Posts
ohhhhhh! I see

it is not necessary to do that modification but it is very helpful, I just molded the gutter guard around the clips and it looks just as flush as anyone elses I have seen, but it was a big PITA getting the gutter guard flushed in with those clips in the way. Thanks for the tip though...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Plus if you look at it you can see those clips also from ooking at it from the front.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
with the extra layer of mosquitoe screen I put on there you can't see anything, heheh. I love it....later

P.S- how should I post my pics? I will be buying a camera today and dropping the developed film at Walmart or something tomorrow. Web Site? or what......I am thinking of starting a SentraPerformance Website so I can hook everyone up with parts for cheap from dealers, etc. I will take pics of my sound system, etc. you guys tell me what you think....later

ohhh crap, damnit, I need a freaking scanner, my parents supposed to buy me one, but gotta wait, hopefully they'll send the money buy this week

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
You can always drop it off to be developed at like CVS or somewhere that has kodak developing and they can throw it on a disc for ya,,,or go to a copy place or something that can scan,,,and they can also put the scanned pics onto a disc for ya.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks SS

I forgot how good technology has gotten, and to think I am a computer/electrical engineering major(I'm doing both). Well the reason why I didn't know about these places or wanted to know about them is cuz I like to do things on my own. Well anywho, do you guys want to wait till I get my Billet aluminum antenna, mirror tints, and sonic blue gauge needles, or should I go ahead and take them now? the antenna and needles should be in by next week along with the tints(maybe), I really don't have money for mods, but I convinced my parents that I needed the tints cuz it is hot as hell(true), and I told her that the radio antenna has horrible reception(false), and the needles my bro is gonna hook me up with, so I'll be cool for a bit. :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
let's wait till you get the other stuff on to get the total picture:)

Hey what antenna did you end up getting???
Did you see the pics of my Trenz Billet aluminum antenna yet???

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, I know

Yeah I am getting one of those Trenz ones from stylincompacts.com, thanks to you or maxx. Well the antenna wil be here next week, can't wait to put it on. I still haven't ordered the gauge needles, but I am getting that other thing I won't mention yet(cosmetic as well) on next week, my brother will ship it out to me tomorrow. The tints should be done hopefully by Fri., my parents are posed to send me the money ASAP, I swear I freaking almost burned my face getting into the car today, it's a freaking sauna in there from 9am till 6 or 7pm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Holy old-thread Batman!

OK! First and foremost, I understand this thread is 7 years old. But I want to know if anyone has the same information on this topic concerning the 04-06 grilles. They basically look the same but are larger and have no chrome trim; so, there has to be a different way to do this kind of mod. Any takers on the subject??? I posted on a different thread, but it got way off track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts