B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah.

I have not read of any manufacturer that makes a rear tower strut bar for our cars.
But then, how much difference would this mod help the car out?

I work in an engineering firm with an integrated machine shop and have access to a great selection of machines. (manual lathes, CNC lathe, manual mills, CNC mills, wire edm's, stamping machine, tumblers, blaster, platers, etc,etc. and since i have my interior fully gutted, i was thinking of how easy it would be to make a rear tower brace bar.

Now, i ask the people who know their Shlt in this board. Would this mod help out any? or the b15 having a solid beam axle means this wouldnt help out much?

I can put together a test bar in 2 days easy. And then i can ask the plant manager to put together a final cost for the item.
This would be an EXCLUSIVE for B15sentradotnetters.

Let me know people!

P.S. What about a trunk H-brace, or a B-pillar brace... i can do those too. mmh...

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
JP did one. He said it wasn't really useful at all since the lower beam with a rear sway bar works wonders.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
can you manufacture any bracing that instead of going side to side across the chassis, but front to back. for example, have you seen braces on cars that go underneath the front quarter panel and connects it to the greenhouse area.

can you fab up a harness bar?

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pio!pio! said:
can you manufacture any bracing that instead of going side to side across the chassis, but front to back. for example, have you seen braces on cars that go underneath the front quarter panel and connects it to the greenhouse area.

can you fab up a harness bar?
Front to Back Bar: I would have to know EXACTLY where it will connect to, on both ends. Once i know that, I can tear my girl apart and take measurements/angles and then go on to fabrication.

Harness Bar: This is for hooking up your racing seatbelt right? For this i would need to get together with someone locally who has racing seats so I can take the best measurements possible.

I would like to see JP's bar to see how he made it and stuff.

·
AutoX Fanatic [#119 STX]
123 Posts
How about a bar that uses the child restraints on the rear speakers. I need soemthing that I can take out after races because I need to keep my backseat intact for passengers.

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Klotus said:
How about a bar that uses the child restraints on the rear speakers. I need soemthing that I can take out after races because I need to keep my backseat intact for passengers.
HAHA, Klotus. Sounds like Scrotus. hahaha okey sorry

I dont know about using the child safety things. I would have to look at them closely. If more people like this idea i would go ahead and make a prototype. I'm not sure though, just dump the back seat bro!

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
What about a FSTB that also attaches to the firewall at 2 points?
Or an 'X' brace for the trunk/ rear seat area?

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
The thing about the rear strut bar is there is no where to attach it to. You would want to attach it directly to suspension components for it to work best and with how our cars are made that just isn't really possible. The shuds go downward toward the wheel welll so there is no pont to attach it from inside the car without drilling into the sheet metal. What is the poitn of that if it its not attaching to a suspension pbar. You are just creating a brace that really isn't doing anything. Using the child restraint points would be even more pointless as first of all they are only meant to hold about 50lbs at most and they are only attached to the upper deck sheet metal. You would be stiffening nothing.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
david said:
You would be stiffening nothing.
Well...look who's playing the role of Captain Letdown and the Buzzkillers :D

I've looked back there and understand what you're talking about, our suspension design is pretty limiting. Whether the insanely small hole in the front upper strut tower, or the extremely short wheel travel, our options are limited.

EnuffofTheSentra - My gut tells me that a harness bar would be your best bet if you have the urge to use your resources and make something cool. There are plenty of autox and road race drivers on this board who would jump on that. I'm thinking the only real place to secure it would be the upper seatbelt mounts on the B pillar, since they won't be used anyway for someone who has racing seats and harness.

Audio1der FSTB firewall attachment idea is also interesting, similar to what the Mitsu Lancer's are sporting. The only thing near the firewall that looks to be in the way is an A/C line that can probably be bent downwards with little modification.

·
AutoX Fanatic [#119 STX]
123 Posts
I'm game for the harness bar, but I want to use the racing harness for Autox's only and the regular seat belt for daily driving since I don't have a racing seat. It was just an idea in my head to keep the car in its stock form.

As far as dumping the rear seat, I won't even consider it because I want to stay in STS class. If I were to go to SM I would want to go all in meaning motor, gut entire car, etc...

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
make me a rsb bar for cheaper than the nismo :D

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Rear Sway Bar is made out of a solid steel rod. To bend that rod in that exact shape, it needs to be made using a CNC bender. We dont have one of those here because we never make parts that require it. And also that machine costs MAJOR $$$ MOOLA...
But i am sure they have those all over the place in Japan, China and Taiwan

·
Banned
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okey i just went out there and looked at my setup.

First, to get to the rear tower bolts, you need to remove, the entire back seat, as well as the entire frame for it. After that there is two shroud-like metal pieces that shield the assembly.

If you were to install the rear bar you would have to do some cutting to one of the shrowds on each side(medium skill) and the carpet (easy).

Would this make such a diference that would justify the modification?

As for the B-brace, I looked and yes the seatbelt mounting post is kinda low, you might hit your head with it if youre tall and lean the seat back.

H-Brace/ X-Brace for the trunk: This one would have to be 2 piece at least. As for mounting points, I seem to see a lot of empty holes in the trunk sheetmetal... I dont know why they had those there in the first place, maybe for weight savings or they thought ahead of an X-brace??

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Unless you are attaching it directly to a suspension component it is pretty much pointless. You have to go and look how our suspenion is setup. There are two studs that go through the sheet metal and face downward to the ground. Then you attach your suspension with the top hat with nuts in the wheel well. the only thing I could possibly see doing would be to knock out the studs, then you put whatever brace you design in place. You would probably have to slot the sheet metal in the truck for it to fit, then pound studs or bolts back through the holes and then re-attach your suspension. Its not that hard to do if you have the tools at your disposal and the time. My feeling is the beneift would be very small though. You are better off spending the time to install a rear sway bar or the rear nismo bushings which will provide far better beneift to your car handling.

I'm not a fan of harness bars unless they are part of a roll bar or roll cage so I won't comment on that.

If you are really interesting in making something for our cars start with something easly like a tri-point front strub tower bar. That will be easy to make. Have the two diagnal pieces come back to a plate that would sit against the fire wall sheet metal. Then someone who is installing it would pop off the shroud for the windshielf wipers and drill two holes through the firewall into that compartment that holds the windshield wipers. Then throw a plate on the other side of the sheet metal. Use bolts and nuts to attach the whole thing.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
For those of us that got the factory FSTB, could'nt we just fab. a 'C' shaped section to add the 2nd dimension which would brace against the firewall, to the existing FSTB?
i.e. turn this:
--------------

into this:
-------------
\______/

Okay, poor pic, but you guys know what I'm talking about. :eek:
(just like this, with a nice, wide firewall section)
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/upper1.htm

·
Registered
501 Posts
SR20DE_MAN said:
JP did one. He said it wasn't really useful at all since the lower beam with a rear sway bar works wonders.

JP did not do one.

He fabbed up a metal bar that connected two worthless pieces of metal in the rear of the car. I removed the worthless things long ago to shave weight.

A true rear upper strut would connect at the top of each strut, using the same two bolts that the strut uses to hold it in place at the top, to the car.
A rear strut would be great for B15's, and IMHO, with a rear beam bend, would be perfect.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts