B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on maintaining my new SE like it's my baby. I currently have just under 300 miles on my car.

Is there any real world difference in running the car with 87, 89, or 92 octane fuel? My '95 Probe GT said it would run on 87 octane, but recommended 92.

Also, I plan on switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil sometime. I've heard to make the switch at 1,000 miles and I've also heard to wait till 6,000 miles. Does this truly matter?

Thanks,

MK

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't say for sure about the synthetic (Mobil's web site has some good info). Use the lowest octane for your car (87 in our case). Any higher will leave higher carbon deposits, and will waste money.

------------------

2001 SE w/PP Granite

M

·
0 Posts
Mobil will tell you that it is safe to use their synthetic oil from day 1. (did you expect something different
) They claim that the rings are seated by the time you drive the car home. Others will tell you that AT LEAST 1,000 miles is needed for the engine to be "broken in."

Now, there is a lot of debate as to when to change the oil. Personally, I changed over to Mobil 1 at 500 miles and have experienced no ill effects. Remember, Mobil 1 is the Factory fill for many high-performance cars. I am coming up on 3K right now, so I will be changing it again.

I'd change it at whatever your comfortable with. Everyone has their own opinions, but none of us have any scientific fact to back it up with. I would tend to believe what Mobil tells me though. They were honest enough to tell me not to use their transmission fluid in my car, so I believe them.

As for the fuel...use what the manufacture recommends. 87 octane will keep your car happy. Anything higher is just money out the tailpipe. Now, if you bump the ignition timing, you will need to use higher octane fuel, but stock 87 will do just fine.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I agree completely with maxximtl. I have been using Mobil 1 for almost 10 years now. It may not be the best but I have yet to read unbiased specifications that says any oil is better. The SAE published a technical paper on documented tests (done by Mobil but reviewed and approved by SAE) Lots of documented tests where API tests normally run at 64 hours are passed by Mobil 1 for 256 hours. No other oil could match it. Conventional oils just pass 64 hours. There were many other over the road tests at anywhere between 50K and 200K changing oil at 7500 mi and 15000 mi. After 200,000 miles the engines on 4 cars with Mobile 1 were torn down and over 250 measurements on all moving parts for each car: all parts came up to factory specs for **new** parts. "almost no wear, they said" Overkill- sure, but that's me.

BTW I put syn in at 35 miles. After 900 miles the oil looks like I changed yesterday. Zero oil consumed- good start. You might want to wait the 1000 miles to be safe. But after that you want all the protection you can get. My $.02.

Hey maxximtl whats up with the trans oil, I already put it in my automatic, are we talking auto or manual??? Thanks.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
from what i hear.... we are suppose to run 87.... if you wanna run 89 you should advance your timing....

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

·
Registered
119 Posts
First I would like to say that I baby my car just as much if not more than the next guy. I even go check on it periodically while it's in the garage to make sure it is ok. With that said, I have a much different understanding about oils than the previous posts. I've read many places that you shouldn't make the switch to synthetic until your motor is completely broken in. Synthetic oils will actually keep a new motor from breaking in. If you do switch to synthetics too early, you risk having a motor that will never be properly broken in. Even if you switch back to mineral based oils the engine won't finish breaking itself in. That's a big risk to take. I know there's a big argument on how long it takes to properly break in a motor. I know Nissan says 1000 miles but my car isn't seein' redline 'till at least 6k miles. I won't switch to synthetics until 9k miles. Once you make the switch to synthetic, theres no turning back. Overkill can be just as harmful as neglect. Draining your oil as soon as you drive off the new car lot to put in synthetic sounds like overkill doesn't it.

------------------
rschauby
2001 Sentra SE w/PP
1998 SE-R

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
rschauby: you could be right and I would never try to change your mind. It's a personal thing. I've used syn fluids in all my cars and kids cars for 8 years engine/tranny/diff. I know all the theories about ring seating, etc. By the time I get home from N.C later this week, I'll have a better idea on how things are going. I look at it as an experiment. I think sometimes that the engine you wind up is really the luck of the draw. I've had vehicles in the past that used lots of oil from day one Camaro, Ranger, Pinto, Toyota 22RE- doesn't seem to matter. I do think that breaking is important and you are smart to move that max rpm up gradually, IMHO. Call me overkill Al.

Later
Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
623 Posts
u dont really need syn fluids if u dont race ur car. not even if u 1/4 drag needs syn fluid unless u always rev it upto redline..... ur just waisting ur money like if ur buying higher octane gas. on my hondas, i sometimes dont change my oil well over 10k. hehe....

M

·
0 Posts
The Mobil Transmission fluid was for the Manual transmission. The Automatic transmission fluid is just fine for the auto Sentra, but Mobil did not want me using any of thier gear lubes in my manual transmission.

I have almost 3K miles on my car, with zero oil consumption. I mean, the oil level has not moved even a fraction of an inch. The Mobil 1 has about 2,500 miles on it (I changed the oil to synthetic at 500 miles.) If the rings were not seated, you would expect to see some sort of oil usage during that period of time. In fact, it is not uncommon for a brand new engine to use some oil initially. Since there is no oil consumption, and no evidence that oil is getting past the rings, I'd have to say the motor is broken in.

As far as whether or not synthetic is necassary...who knows. All I know is that it can't hurt, and it is proven to offer better protection than conventional oils. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want the most protection possible?

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
max:

I'd say your's is properly broken in. I'd also say you got a good engine. My experience on many vehicles is that when you have initial oil consumption that's very low that's where it will remain if you use proper maintenance. I think 10,000 miles on conventional is pushing it given the cost of a vehicle.

For my money syn is good insurance.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts