B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a fuel injector cleaner additive hurt or do good to our cars????

I'm thinking it would be good...

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if it is good what brand would anyone recommend?????

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI

***My Website***

G

·
The Chevron Techron stuff is supposed to be good, but our cars are so new that it wouldn't be worthwhile. I also seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in the owners manual...not sure) that fuel system additives are not recommended for the SR20DE. This is just a vague memory, so I could be wrong.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Ghetto airbox...Zip ties and all!

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nissan does not reccomend using fuel additives. Our fuel systems have pintless injectors. You'll have to read a book on injectors to know what those are. Anywho, the injectors don't have crud build up in them. Members of the SE-R.net do have a trusted company that does do reverse flow fuel injector cleanings. I think the name of the company is JC Engineering (could be wrong). They charge something around $125 and they balance and blueprint them for you as well. If you fear your injectors are getting clogged, this is what I would do.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Good information rschauby. Through the years I have used many brands, Gunk, Kmart, STP. The main thing I always do is go for the ones that say "Concentrated" . I put in 8 oz. of Marvel Mystery oil every couple of thousand and an injector cleaner maybe every 5,000 mi. Most experts will tell you that it is a waste of money. Probably is. Old habits die hard. I have had injectors in the past that leaked and the cleaners did straighten out the problem. It's a matter of preference whether you use them. I have not used anything in my SE yet (2300 miles). But I probably will.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for some good info i'll have to read up on it and find out the deal.......

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

***My Website***

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Every oil change I add STP fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas. This is at the recomendation of my Dad, and after seeing 10 phone calls in 3 hours for injectors that averaged $150 _each_, not installed, I followed.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
7 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
Would a fuel injector cleaner additive hurt or do good to our cars????

I'm thinking it would be good...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been told that all modern unleaded gasoline already have cleaning agents added and that no additional additive is necessary. Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
i hear claims like that from texaco (give us 5 tanks) and mobil (techroline) and chevron. i do know that the FI system on the sentra, specifically the sr20, does NOT recommend any fuel injector cleaner of any kind.

------------------
MY PAGE
WAIT! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
When I first got my sentra I had black smoke coming out of the tail pipe and horrible bucking from my car. I was only getting about 24mpg too. I have used over the last 2 years the STP cleaner, the complete package one, around $7-$10. My car now gets around 32-36 mpg and it never bucks anymore. I would go for it, but then again I have a 90 which is a bit older.

·
Registered
940 Posts
injector cleaners are like thinner or ethers, they will disolve everything, including some seals. DO NOT SE IT ON THE SR20DE ENGINES!!! the newer FI use diffrent system(i don't know what is called, but pinless sounds right), and might damage alot more then it does good.

·
Own3d! by puddy-tats!
501 Posts
Nissan offered me a fuel injector cleaning for $115 and I was wondering if I should have it done. I am wondering if it is just a waste of my money. He didn't say it was necessary for my warranty, only that Nissan recommended it. What do you guys think? I am at 36,500 miles now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nissan dealerships use Wynn's professional strength FI additive. You can get the commercially graded stuff in the blue bottle at WalMart. Just not as strong....if Nissan says it can be used, then a slightly less potent version should be safe.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
buckswife said:
Nissan offered me a fuel injector cleaning for $115 and I was wondering if I should have it done. I am wondering if it is just a waste of my money. He didn't say it was necessary for my warranty, only that Nissan recommended it. What do you guys think? I am at 36,500 miles now.
Thats to have it professionally done they dont just dump some additives in there. DONT use additives in your engine its a waste of time and money all it does is empty your wallet and eat away and any rubber seals. Get the cleaning done professionally it costs more but you should have to have it done that often maybe every 50k or so.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Chevron w/ Techron

I've been using two bottles of it every oil change. That's what my Auto 1 teacher recommended. I used in my last car as well. No problems so far

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chevron Techron before each oil change in all of my cars.

I read an article some time ago which tested various additives and this was the only one that made a difference. Wish I still had that article. My fellow dubbers on VWVortex also give it a thumbs up!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use the STP FI cleaner on my previous car, and it was running fine. My bro also uses it on his car, and it's running great. I clean my FI with that once every 2 oil changes (6 K miles). But I have never done it on this car yet... I'll be cleaning it very soon though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts