B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching various suspension setups, and I have come to the not so shocking realization that no one makes aftermarket front mounts for the B15! I remember Sonnypippo tryed to get Shigspeed to make some front pillowball mounts for the B15, but I have not heard anything about that in ages.

Currently JIC coilovers are at the top of my list (Clearing out my wallet at a wopping $1700!). The main reason is the fact that ride height can be adjusted in such a way that wheel travel is not changed. After talking with David and mentioning that I may have to take a small loan out to afford the JIC's :D he suggested that I check out other options.

Shigspeed was one of those options. They make killer setups for the B14/B13 some of which are way out of my range ($2400), but I shot Scott an e-mail to see if he could create a budget setup that would suit my needs. I also e-mailed Steve F. (98SR20VE) to see what he could cook up.

Back on track, Wheel/suspension travel is a HUGE concern to me. I have been looking at the Koni & Ground Control setup again (I just realized that GC's are adjustable from 0-3", that Zero is a key factor to me).

Anyway Would having shigspeed fabricate pillowball mounts give me extra wheel travel in the front? I would be running Motivational mounts in the rear, so I would be set. Having shortened struts in the front along with a pillowball mount would be a good combo I am guessing.

I know this thread is kind of confusing (Atleast it is to me), the main questions here are:

1) Will pillowball mounts in the front give me more wheel travel?
2) What are the other beneifits of pillowball mounts?
3) Would you be interested in pillowball mounts?

·
Registered
275 Posts
In my limited opinion, travel refers to the amount that the shocks traverses up and down upon its sliders.

So for question number 1, I would say no. Having a spacer between your top hat and your shock tower will not give you more travel in your shock. It does however lengthen the distance between the top of your tire and the fender well. An imperical example would be having a 5 inch spacer block between your shock tower and your shock hat but with your shock only able to compress a mere 2 inches (motorcycle shocks), does this mean you have 7 inches of travel?

2. Pillow ball mounts theoritically gives you better steering response.

The thing I don't understand when people set up their coil overs is how come no one sets up for sag. The way I set up my JIC's first putting a zip tie around the slider of the shock. Assemble the whole shooting match together and just give the spring seat a couple of turns. Measure the distance from the bottom of the (front) camber plate to the top of the spring perch. Match that distance that you just measured between the left and right FRONT side of the car. Then from the top of the spring perch measure down to the top of the shock mount. Again match that distance between left and right sides. Then drop your car down to the ground. Without a doubt your shock should compress ALL the way down pushing the zip tie all the way up. Then what you do is wind up the spring pearch (equally on both sides) in such a manner such that when you bring the car down and then bring it back up, the zip tie should just go up by like ½ an inch. Thats what I mean by setting your sag. After that you set up your ride height from the shock mount, don't touch your spring seat ever again. Again adjust the shock mount equally on both the left and right side with equal amounts.

A good shock will always bottom out with the hardest hits. The point of setting the sag is so that instead of bottoming out 9 out of 10 pot holes, it'll only bottom out maybe 3 out of the same 10. Again factors such as spring rate, tire pressure, and rebound dampening all play a role on how much sag you should set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts