B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to do a how-to? I'm looking to replace the stock grill with the stainless steel mesh. I see that a lot of you have this done, it looks really great. Id just like some guidance on how to do it.

-iLL

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
HEHEHE

it's really easy i'll try to do it in steps...
1.take of the black clips,,,,now if you look at the clips you'll see they are 2 parts lift the round top part up on all of them.....
2.take the grille out lay it on a cloth..
3.unscrew all the screws on the inside on the black part detaching it from the chrome piece...
4.you'll see little tabs throughout the bottom of that chrome piece you need to remove them for a cleaner fit....I used a dremel to shave them down,,but if you don't have a dremel then you can probably use a utility knife to cut them down,,,but use caution...
5.once that's all done lay out a piece of the gutter guard(i doubled mine up for a better look)and place it over the chrome piece......
6.now if you look at that chrome piece on the inside you'll see it has a nicely place little ditch and that makes it awesome for the application.....you'll see what i mean when you have it apart...
7..get a hot glue gun ready and a flat head screwdriver.....
8.when the glue gun is hot take the gutter guard and push it into that little ditch i was telling you about and press a small amount in at a time and each littlesection that you do you apply the hot glue to that section...
9..just keep going all around the whole piece until it's done.....
10...MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE ALIGNMENT OF THE GUTTER GUARD AS YOU GO...

i hope it goes well for ya it's really an easy mod to do just sounds bad...good luck and post some pics after your done with it

------------------

car
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,APC Super white headlights and fogs ad front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,and soon to be added Stromung cat-back......
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

and this is your finished looking product..

------------------

car

MODS
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,APC Super white headlights and fogs ad front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,and soon to be added Stromung cat-back......
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Looks Purty
Keep on the good work!

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Free Intake Mod, Custom Made Grill, Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where do you get the stainless steel mesh in the first place?

·
Registered
87 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stylinchica:
Where do you get the stainless steel mesh in the first place? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my understanding of previous posts regarding making a custom grill, most people are not using a stainless steel mesh, but a plastic mesh called Gutter Guard, which is available at your finer stores like K-Mart and Wall-Mart. I assume that you could use screen door screen if you wanted to, although I've read that you can run into problems with rust unless you paint it or something.

I've got a question for those that have performed this mod. How well is the grill held on after this mod is performed? I started to take mine apart one day out of boredom, and it seemed like the black center part provides most of the grill's stability. It is also where most of the black clips are going through into the car. That lead me to believe that the grill wouldn't be held by much after it was reattached. Am I wrong?

------------------
2000 SE / Radium / Auto / Performance Package

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Its held up pretty good with the original screws. You really have to hit it to come off. Its a very easy mod and it looks so much better. The gutter guard i got is "Steel Mesh" I'm yet to see someone use a plastic one. Bondo seems like to much work, I don't want to do anything that i haven't practice before. This is my baby...Ya know!

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Free Intake Mod, Custom Made Grill, Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!

[This message has been edited by Enemigo (edited February 15, 2001).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked at Lowe's and Home Depot down here and the only gutter guard they have here is made of a thick aluminum which is what I used? I couldn't find the stainless steel anywhere.

-iLL

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
try this link it should take ya to a place where you can buy it online.... http://www.truevalue.com/products.cfm?sid=FE12FE46035111D5AD9B0050DA8A861E&class=171&category=172&subcategory=182&prodref=21561

if the link doesn't work then cut and paste it....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ok this probably sounds dumb but in your step by step you didn't say if you put the gutter guard over the black origional grill or if you just leave that out all together. Im assuming that you just leave it out but I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is still aluminum? will the aluminum rust? where can i find the stainless steel?

-iLL

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nismo_Girl_2001:
Ok this probably sounds dumb but in your step by step you didn't say if you put the gutter guard over the black origional grill or if you just leave that out all together. Im assuming that you just leave it out but I just want to make sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

opppssss sorry you leave the black honeycomb looking thind out

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iLLt3cK:
this is still aluminum? will the aluminum rust? where can i find the stainless steel?

-iLL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a little tip for ya
you take the piece of gutter guard that you are going to use and get a can of clearcoat and spray it down on both sides,,,,that's what i did
should last a while but if not it's only $4.00 buy a couple of rolls

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey, so you guys used the 6 inch gutter guard?? I bought it, but i was thinking that it might not be big enough. Okay, so where do i pick up the clear coat?? at the paint store?

oh yeah, i also noticed they have this other kind of gutter guard, but it's black and has some kind of water proof material. man i'd really hate for this stuff to rust.

------------------
Jaded 2000 SE with Performance Package. ABS, Side Air-bags, in cabin microfilter, and PIAA headlights.

Thinking about:
Hotshot or PR CAI
Stromung Cat-back

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Hey SS.... How much did you pay for your front spoiler from stillen?

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Stillen Pop Cone, 35% Mirror Tint, Custom Made Grill, 3A Racing Pedals, Primax 15" 10 spoke Racing Rims,
Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enemigo:
Hey SS.... How much did you pay for your front spoiler from stillen?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I paid about $175 shipped to my door but don't forget I was the first to get this and that was a while ago,,,but I've heard it went up a bit....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey everyone, does aluminum even rust? I really don't think it does but I'm not a metalurgist either. When's the last time you saw an old aluminum beer can laying on the ground rusted?
I think its safe to say that the companies making gutter guard aren't going to use a material that will deteriorate due to water exposure.

------------------
2001 Blackout SE w/ PP, sunroof, debadged, Stromung exhaust, more to come...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thats true nitelife, well at least you'd think they wouldn't want to make ones that rust. Then again, they "could" make it so it rusts, and then you would have to replace it, which makes them more money. but that bad business and you'd probably just go with another brand.

Hey so SentraStyling, was the 6inchby 20 foot stuff the same thing as you used?

------------------
Jaded 2000 SE with Performance Package. ABS, Side Air-bags, in cabin microfilter, and PIAA headlights.

Thinking about:
Hotshot or PR CAI
Stromung Cat-back

1 - 20 of 24 Posts