B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here we go again... i blew my right front jl xr....

what do i buy now?

im looking to spend around $250 ebay prices (shipped)...

im running them off a us acoustics usb4085 (85w rms x 4)

what do we got going here?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was eyeing the perfect 6.1's

i have kappa coax in the rear (love em) and kappa perfect 10" sub (love it)...

so i guess i cant go wrong...

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
the xr's were already one of the best you can get for under 250... so perfects or xr's depending on which you like the sound from better.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not gonna get xr's again considering i just blew one...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe focal polyglass?

·
Registered
60 Posts
check out cdt classics from www.thezeb.com or crystal csc60. i had the jl's before and i've had both the cdt and the crystal's and both of them are much better than the jl's imo.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blackoutqg said:
check out cdt classics from www.thezeb.com or crystal csc60. i had the jl's before and i've had both the cdt and the crystal's and both of them are much better than the jl's imo.
which jl's did you have?

i heard great things about cdt's... maybe ill try them instead of the perfects..

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
they have those 6.5" classics with the paint thats a little messed up for $150... with a 3 year warranty (something that i definitely dont have)... thats tempting, but its hard to spend the cash when ive never heard them at all, or anything even made by cdt audio...

what have you heard that you would say they definitely sound better than or similar to?

edit: they have free shipping too.... i read a bunch of reviews and ill probably pull the trigger tomorrow after school... $150 shipped for speakers that are $340 msrp... i guess ill do it... unless anyone posts any better suggestions before tomorrow at 12:30...

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
I have the CDT-6 midbass driver (not the component set, just the midbass) which are $200. It is the best speakers I have ever heard, period. Dont know about the classics, but my guess is they are a great set, especially for $150.

How did you blow the jl's with 85W? I suspect the USX, I have had 2 of them, sold them in a week. Not clean amps at all.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
03blackout said:
im not gonna get xr's again considering i just blew one...
Um... people push 200W to them, so I suspect that it isn't the XR's fault that you just blew one of them... I'd focus on two factors, one the amp (solely due to the settings) and two, your listening preference and volume control. They weren't getting to much power unless you were clipping them... so it was hardly the XR's blowing themselves :) I'd focus on other factors before picking up another set, or at the very least be sure to get speakers with a warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i had the xr's then the crystal's then the cdt's. all powered by a cadence q3000 100 watts rms each side. the cdt's are at a great price so get them and i guarantee you wont be disappointed

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gains were wayyyy down, and they were crossed over at 90 hz...

i dont know how they could be blown... it still plays music, but once the music stops, it buzzes A LOT

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
that sounds more like a wiring issue than blown speakers...

they still sound fine while playing? have you played with the volume low to see if they are buzzing while playing as well?

·
Registered
60 Posts
check all your wires and make sure you have a secure ground. try hooking them up to a different amp because maybe it is the amp that is causing the noise.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i switched the front channels on the amp... the same speaker is still buzzing....

while the music is playing, it sounds fine.... then once the bass stops, it buzzes a lot....

it also only happens sometimes, particularly when im driving, its hard to get it to do it while the car isnt moving...

i also noticed that my driver side mirror shakes A LOT with the music and my passenger side one doesnt... could that mean that the driver side speaker is putting out more low end (this is with the subwoofer turned off) or it could just be the mirror....

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and also, im 90% sure im going to buy the CDT audio classic series (cl-61)... $309 discounted to $150 because the paint on the basket didnt come out right..

but then i thought... couldnt i juust buy the cdt midbass drivers for $88 and use my existing crossovers and tweets from the xr's???

the xr's have awesome highs... i thinkt his would be a good idea...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
the speaker should not buzz with no music. i feel this is not a speaker issue. it is signal or corruption leaking from somewhere reaching this speaker.

only one way to find out.. put another mid in that door spot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts