B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just installed an Autometer tach in my SE. I hooked it up to the ECu signal wire for the tach and a 12V switched and what not. The problem with my tach is it reads the signal fine from 0-3400RPm, right along with teh stoch tach. But from 3400rpm to 6750 the tach stops moving up and starts going down from 3400 to 1000rpm as I hit redline.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Do I need an adapter or something??

Thanks,
JUERGEN

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
When I had my tach installed, I didn't have that problem. I was running an Autometer Lunar Series Tach. I made sure that my tach signal wire went straight to the distributor, had a nice ground and then one wire to a fuse for lighting. That was it, I believe. Recheck all your wires just to make sure they are correct. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you mind taking a picture of where on the distributor you hooked up the signal wire and post it. I am going to move my wire there and see if it makes any difference. Is it the single green and white striped wire that comes out the side of the distributor that you hooked up to??? Pic Please!!

Thanks much,
JUERGEN

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
spd frk said:
Hey everyone,

I just installed an Autometer tach in my SE. I hooked it up to the ECu signal wire for the tach and a 12V switched and what not. The problem with my tach is it reads the signal fine from 0-3400RPm, right along with teh stoch tach. But from 3400rpm to 6750 the tach stops moving up and starts going down from 3400 to 1000rpm as I hit redline.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Do I need an adapter or something??

Thanks,
JUERGEN
I have a problem similar to that, except mine hooked up directly to the ecu or ecm, whichever it is, anyways, when I get above 5000rpms it just starts bouncing from 5krpm to 1krpm back and forth :confused:

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Tachometer signal straight from the FSM:

-from terminal 32 of the ECM

-to combination meter terminal 45 for the tachometer

I don't remember what color it was off the tach. I'm looking through the FSM right now to see. :)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
GT-R said:
I have a problem similar to that, except mine hooked up directly to the ecu or ecm, whichever it is, anyways, when I get above 5000rpms it just starts bouncing from 5krpm to 1krpm back and forth :confused:
Weird, I never had a problem with my tach when it was installed. It was pretty much dead on!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Original Mr Sentra said:
Tachometer signal straight from the FSM:

-from terminal 32 of the ECM

-to combination meter terminal 45 for the tachometer

I don't remember what color it was off the tach. I'm looking through the FSM right now to see. :)
what do you mean by -to combination meter terminal 45 for the tachometer, all I did for my install was spice terminal 32, which is a blue&orange wire, that's it :confused:

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
GT-R said:
what do you mean by -to combination meter terminal 45 for the tachometer, all I did for my install was spice terminal 32, which is a blue&orange wire, that's it :confused:
dude, your problem is not related...you have a totally different ignition system on your car than the SE's have.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
chimmike said:
dude, your problem is not related...you have a totally different ignition system on your car than the SE's have.
yeah, that's right I forgot, he has a distrubutor and I don't, well still have problems, maybe Silversleeper can help when he come's to Columbus, Ga :cool:

·
Registered pill popper
121 Posts
can some one post some pic?

-Eddie

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
chimmike said:
Good call Mike. I had thought he had a SE since the original poster was having problems with his tach on his SE. I got sidetracked. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the signal wire for my Autometer tach should be spliced into whatever wire goes into pin location 32 on my ECU???

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
spd frk said:
So the signal wire for my Autometer tach should be spliced into whatever wire goes into pin location 32 on my ECU???
Yes, however I had mine spliced to the signal wire right on the distributor. I don't remember which one that was, it's been a long time. It should work right into the wire that goes into PIN 32 on the ecm/ecu. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
spd frk said:
let me know how your tach does after you hook it up, perpare too long wire coming from your ecm/ecu all the way into the engine bay :cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already have the wire going into the engine bay so no problem. I'll give it a try tomorrow with rewiring. I nearly cut my thumb off this morning so I have to wait it out for a couple hours.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks like it is hooked up correctly. It is wired to the blue and orange wire coming out of terminal 32 on the ECU. Gauge must be broken

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
GT-R said:
let me know how your tach does after you hook it up, perpare too long wire coming from your ecm/ecu all the way into the engine bay :cool:
if you're not using the tach adapter, then you're not going to get a proper signal.

i bought the tach adapter recently and I'm going to be attempting the install, probably today if I can get the head unit issue resolved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts