B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Own3d! by puddy-tats!
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not getting much help from my advisor on what is expected, only that I need my first chapter done by the end of the semester and it needs to be done right! The guide they have kind of sucks and the funny thing is, it has tons of grammar mistakes!

But basically I've been doing research on Web Accessibility and I don't know what my focus should be. I am sure of what would be an acceptable question and I certainly don't know what they will ding me on, although I am sure the list will be large.

Anyone go through this stuff? I feel like I'm sinking already! Oh yeah and they want 25 sources in the first chapter! Kill me now, cuz I'm not sure if my sources are worthy enough!

·
F*ck You Hippies
525 Posts
hmm maybe you could do something on about web access and the poor and how to make sure the po' kids dont get left behind

·
Own3d! by puddy-tats!
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually web accessibility in the sense I'm referring to specifically deals with web pages being accessible for the disabled, its part of the laws on Electronic Accessibility. But you are right, there is also a digital divide in poor communities.

There is a lot of stuff on web accessibility but narrowing down is hard. There are different laws for each state (or none have been officially adopted at all). Specifically, Section 508 refers to the need of colleges and universities to have all web pages accessible, how accessible depends on the laws of the state.

In dealing with platforms and Assitive Technology, Windows has Mac beat so badly its not funny. Platforms will matter because with these new laws, Universities will not be able to purchase any software or platforms that are not accessible to the disabled and Macintosh is ignoring the problem. What this means is that any software that is used to create CD-ROMs, web pages, etc, must be able to make these products accessible, or Universities will no longer be able purchase them unless they can prove this would be too much of a burden.

Its also an issue since under this law, people can now sue if they do not have equal access.

Hey Noggin, you can skip the thesis? Or do you mean you can just do a seminar or special project instead? I can do 1 of the three, but if I ever needed my Doctorate, its hard to get in without a thesis.

·
Just 35 more...
2,296 Posts
Hey Noggin, you can skip the thesis? Or do you mean you can just do a seminar or special project instead? I can do 1 of the three, but if I ever needed my Doctorate, its hard to get in without a thesis.
If I go for my master's degree, I can either take something like 24 hours of courses (made that number up) and do a thesis, or take 30 hours of courses (again, not sure how many hours.)

So, basically if I don't want to do a thesis, I just have to take a few more courses in its place.

·
Tyranousaurius Mex
15 Posts
There is this book called HOW TO WRITE A THESIS by Umberto Eco... you should read that and Im sure you will not do the same mistakes that cost me one year of my life.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I did my master's thesis, I found a few things to be helpful. First of all, the style guide provided my my department was absolutely worthless. Like you said, full of grammar mistakes and very outdated material (it warned against the use of red lettering, and white-out). The most valuable guides to me were theses written by former students of my own advisor. My thinking was simple--if he passed them, he'd pass me :) Go to the library, department office, etc. and check out several theses of past students and use those as guides. Also, the book "How to Write a Thesis" is helpful (good call Zevoruko).

My thesis was in electrical engineering, so I'm sure it's very different from the sort you'll have to write. In some respects it was a 110 page lab report, with lots of computer code, diagrams, graphs, etc. My topic was easy to select because my advisor let me use my research work as the basis for my thesis.

As for skipping the thesis, many universities will allow you to substitue 2 extra courses for the thesis, provided you're not on a university stipend. If your company is paying, or you have a scholarship, you may be able to avoid it altogether. Check with whomever is paying your tuition. I kicked myself many times in the year I spent writing it, because I could have skipped it...but looking back, it's pretty cool to hold my published thesis in my hands and say "I wrote this!!!" I think it was a good experience.

Now that was a long response. Man, I just wrote another thesis! :D

·
Own3d! by puddy-tats!
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't skip it, for one its a Master's of Education (in Instructional Media Technology), they make you do either a research project, thesis or seminar. There is a certificate I could get instead of the Master's, but I am also a Grad Assistant, so it has to be a Master's. I am ok with doing this, I'll be asking my advisor for some examples today. I'll also be going to the library soon too. Thanks for the advice! Hey zevoruko, how you doing? Get all settled in France?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do it on how web accessability for college students doing their thesis sucks. Just write..."dude I couldn't get online in the computer lab, so I couldn't do my thesis on web accessability" that outta work...right?! Then sue your college and retire, you won't need that stupid thesis then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts