B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the old post probably, but I'm getting ghetto oil from a quick Firestone oil change right now, but I'm thinking of doing it myself from now on. What's a good oil to get? I've noticed that my oil gets black much sooner than 3500 miles according to what's normal. Also, I was getting my oil changes at the dealership till last oil change. What do you all think?

Probably another one that is in the archives is transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid...stuff like that. I always thought if I just brought my car when the scheduled maintenance was, i'd be okay, but I drive my car a bit harder than normal, plus I want to make sure my car runs good nice fluid a lot, unless it doesn't matter.. Any current experiences would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G

·
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 synthetic is always high on the list. As is amsoil. There will always be the conventional oil vs. synthetic debate. No one can say that the conventional oil is better than the synthetic, so I stick with the synthetic. I run Mobil 1 5w-30 with no problems. Every 3K miles is fine for oil changes. STICK WITH the factory oil filters. Firestone will probably give you a Fram or some other horrendous filter.

Transmission fluid: If you have a manual, there is no good answer to this. Our transmissions require GL-4 fluid. Redline MT-90 meets our API and viscosity requirements, but it gets a lot of lack luster reviews. Redline MTL is not the right viscosity for our cars, but many people use it anyway. *eek* I am looking into BG synchro shift now. I need to find out if it is GL-4 or GL-5. The DSM croud swears by the stuff. It is REALLY expensive though. Like 14 bucks a quart.

Brake Fluid/Powersteering: Don't worry about it. The service intervals are several years. I don't know off hand what brake fluid is recomended for our cars.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maxx...you always take care of my questions man. Thanks lots dude!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Mobil 1's the stuff

I've been using it for 8 yrs. Mobil 1 had done tests where they have run over the road 200,000 mile tests whth oil changes every 15K. At the end all wear parts came up to specifications for **new** parts. I plan on running up to 7500 miles on a change. You are wasting money by changing every 3K. But that's a personal choice and I would never fault anyone for babying his ride. On my other vehicles I change once a year with a filter every 6 months regardless of milage. I plan on trying the Red Line next change.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call ADC. I love babying my ride, but I noticed my oil dark as **** less than 3000 miles out from last oil change. I'm doing this definitely myself next time. Thanks for the info man.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would do it myself if I were you...wait...I already do it myself. I like the satisfaction of knowing that I did it right when I worked on it as well as all of the mods I have put on myself as well. I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic next oil change which is in about 1500 miles to go.

-iLL

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iLLt3cK said:
I would do it myself if I were you...wait...I already do it myself. I like the satisfaction of knowing that I did it right when I worked on it as well as all of the mods I have put on myself as well. I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic next oil change which is in about 1500 miles to go.

-iLL
I got you man, I'm already going to do it myself when it comes time. :)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sinner said:
how often to change the modil 1? Thats what I got in right now.
adc100 said:
Mobil 1 had done tests where they have run over the road 200,000 mile tests whth oil changes every 15K.
Here you go sinner. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
What people keep forgetting about synth oil is that sure you can run longer with it but not changing your oil according to maintenance schedule will void your warranty...so dino oil makes sense at this point...btw, the best thing you can do for your car is change ALL the fluid (brake, coolant, trans) every year regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
More than 3,750 miles???

I can't believe some of you guys are talking about going more than that for oil changes. Your oil may look fine when it comes out, but think of the **** caught in the filter!

I'd also recommend conventional oils for the first 3,000 miles of your car's life. After that, switch to synthetic. You have to remember that synthetic oils aren't as dense as dino juice, so for higher mileage cars, this may mean new leaks.

There's no comparison as to the strengths of synthetic as opposed to conventional. I'll run synthetic in mine until the wheels fall off.

As for other fluids, the main reasons it's recommended that they be changed is to flush the lines. Water can accumulate (in small amounts) in different lines in your car, leading to rust. New fluids also help condition seals along the line and help condition such materials as rubber, silicone, etc.

Do what you may, but I'll continue changing mine every 3,000 miles. Maintenance is the life of your car, boys.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Icemann688 (TN)..the stock filter should be

good for at least 7500. I usually change filters at 5K.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used Castrol syntech in my 94 s-er from day one, it served me well. Didn't blow the engine on that old girl till 182,000 mi. It was my fault, coming home one afternoon on a straight stretch of road I took her up to 125 mi. an hour. Pulled into a convenience store for a cold drink, started it up,knock knock knock. Due to her age should of shown her more respect.Ah well. It can be very expensive however, as for myself I change my oil at least every 5,000 mi like clock work. In my se I'm using the Castrol synth blend. Somewhat cheaper and I think just as good. As a sidebar when my se comes off warranty, I'm going to dump a bottle of duralube in their. I have a buddy whose wife never checked the oil in her car, he threw of bottle in as a precaution. At one point she drove 126 mi. without any oil in her engine. The engine was fine. Adios Amigos

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
cap

cap..You are probably wasting money with the "blend". The "blends" only need to be 10% synthetic. You are much better off by buying a quart of pure synthetic and mixing it. BTW, the Castrol oil is good, but their synthetic (even the pure Syntec) is not a true synthetic like Mobil 1, Valvoline, Quaker State, Amsoil, or Red Line. I could go on, but I don't want to boor,

Later,
Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts