B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking to get some floor standing stereo speakers....
Any experience or stories or advice you can offer is cool.
There were some Sony's at best buy we were listening to, and honestly they sounded pretty damn good for the price..think they were MF750H, can get em for like 180 online....
I'm looking to keep it under 250 for the pair...

·
Registered
108 Posts
RckyMtnSERSPECV said:
There were some Sony's at best buy we were listening to, and honestly they sounded pretty damn good for the price..think they were MF750H, can get em for like 180 online....
What kind of sound are you looking for? Are you looking for good sound quality or just something loud?

I am checking out the Sony MF750H's right now on Sony's website
\

They seem to be good speakers for your price range. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=sonssmf750h

In the end you gotta go with what makes your ears happy.

·
I have more SPL than WHP
288 Posts
RckyMtnSERSPECV said:
Sonis fibre
Avante Grade
Totem
............................oh! you said "under 250"....Ummmmm, Sony. ;)

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
If you've heard them and they sound good go for Sony, but as a general rule Sony and Bose speakers suck. I would go with Paradym's on stands and add a sub later. 3SE's sound much bigger than they are and sound really good with the matched sub.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is it for stereo or home theater use? For stereo, those Sony's should work. I think JBL may have some around that price range. If you're looking into home theater sound, look to spend some big $$$$$.

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
I have a pair of Klipsch Rf-3's, but they're $800 a pair so probably not what you have in mind. Remember, speakers only sound as good as the amp you use to drive them, and speakers are more generally blown with an underpowered amp than an overpowered one as the underpowered amp will distort and that's what usually causes the speakers to blow. Take a look at the receiver/stereo/amp you are using before you settle on a pair of speakers.

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
NiceGuy said:
Get an Adire Shiva for your sub.....and the Paradym's are great like Dion mentioned.
I'm still waiting for Chris to send up the powered 12 to go with mine. If you could find my Paradigm towers used they rock. Esprit bipolars. Prob pricey used though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies....
Yeah I'm not looking to get into anything fancy at this point. I love audio stuff, but my wallet aint gonna let me love much. I got my uncles old receiver, an Onkyo, its just a stereo receiver, nothing fancy at all. I think he said its 80 or 85w/channel, nothing special. But it was free.
Eventually I'll pick up a midrange surround receiver, but not in the very near future.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a pair of JBL studio 10's and they are pretty decent. I paid $400 for the pair, and haven't had any complaints. I've tried yamaha's and sony's at best buy. The midrange is what was lacking in those, but the JBL's do a decent job. JBL makes a line of speakers under the "studio" series called Northridge. I've never owned a pair but they may be worth a shot.

Oh, try etronics.com. I've ordered from them, and they typically have competitive prices.

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
This is an area where I DO have alot of knowledge. :D If you want a good floor speaker (or speaker in general) that won't totally bust the bank.. Look into the Klipsch Reference Series. They are a great speaker for the $$ and sound great.

·
SHIFT_my nuts
1,862 Posts
Re: Re: Floor standing speakers

J2KGXE said:
Sonis fibre
Avante Grade
Totem
............................oh! you said "under 250"....Ummmmm, Sony. ;)
you sicko, i knew you're reply to this thread sooner or later...

glad people agree on klipsch as an option...to be sure there are better, but it depends on your budget.

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Jared:

The Reference Series Klipsch is a lil more expensive.. my reference center costs $350 on its own. :D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have those Sony 750s and they are loud as ****. The bass on them is real good for a floor speaker. I love them and the sound is all i really need. Its too loud to listen to them at like half volume so they put out plenty of sound. I have them hooked into a reciever thats hooked into my PC....its nice. I also got them at best buy but with a little employee discount action. Can we say $86 for BOTH! Gotta love EPPI :D

EDIT: EPPI is emloyee discount program. I no longer work there but after working there for two years you get some connections.

·
SHIFT_my nuts
1,862 Posts
tgenius said:
Jared:

The Reference Series Klipsch is a lil more expensive.. my reference center costs $350 on its own. :D
well ****...if their 5.1 ProMedia system cost $299...heheh...awesome pc system. although...there are other ways to get Klipsch cheaper ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the good words, Bobby d....
Yes, the Klipsch's are quite nice, i loved the way the highs were bright, but not tinny or harsh..and they seemed to fill the room very well, with the horn and all. Too bad the reference rf-3s are $540 for the pair....
Never actually listened to any of the Paradigm stuff, have to keep an eye out for 'em...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts