B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! Well, let me tell you I represented the B15Sentra.net and Nissan community very well at two IASCA sound quality events this weekend. Here are the results.

As you know, each IASCA sound quality competition is comprised of 3 categories:
- sound quality
- system installation and integrity
- RTA and SPL

On Saturday, Augoust 14th 2004, I was at the FSE show at Ste-Pie de Bagot (Sanair Raceway) for the first ever Quebec IASCA SQ competition. It was a big triple point event! I finished 1st for sound quality and 3rd overall! It was my first time ever competing and I wasn't well prepared. I had just learned Friday night that there was the competion the next day... I didn't know we needed photo log books of the install and many little elements cost me points like not having rubber boots on my battery poles or capacitator poles, lumed wires up to the end, not more than 18 inches of wire from battery pole to fuse holder, upgrade the ground wire to the battery... The basic stuff that gets you no points (because it's either 5 or zero points). I also wasn't able to pull more than 127.8 db on the SPL (a max of 135 db gets you the full 35 points) so that didn't help either. And that's weird, because I have a JL Audio 12W6V2 sub driven by a JL Audio 500/1 monoblock amp (500W RMS) and people with less power were hitting 130 db... My grandma hits more than 128 db with her mouth! :) I guess it's because the gains were set soooo low on my amp because I hate boomy bass and I didn't think there was an SPL portion in SQ competitions... There were only 5 points seperating me from 1st place overall, so that just goes to tell you how I killed in the sound quality portion.

On Sunday, Augoust 15th 2004, I was at the LimeStone City Sound-Off in Kingston, Ontario (St. Lawrence College) for a double point IASCA sound quality competition. There were alot more cars there including the season leaders in my class, rookie 601W+ class. Those boys had monster setups and competition was way tougher. People from USA were also there... I finished in the top 3 for sound quality and 4th overall with mention of excellence. Of course, I didn't have time to correct the installation integrity issues of the previous day, which didn't help. Another weird thing, I only did a 123 db in the SPL, so that cost me 12 points. When I think that only 9 points seperated me from 1st place, I know I would have killed if I had the SPL points...

So all in all, I'm more than happy for my first time ever competing against guys who've been around the block. The judges such as Jason Guay and IASCA people like Moe Sabourin all were impressed by my system and especialy how much sound quality it had compared to the rest. They said they talked about my ride all weekend and that with the minor fixes in the system integrity department and fix that SPL issue, I could take the world championship in a breeze. I remind you that my system is based in part on the 2003 IASCA SQ rookie 601W+ world champion (also a SpecV) with the same setup for sound stage up front and installed and tuned by the same people, team Precision Acoustics. I'll fix the minor issues this week and I'll be good to go.

Finaly, I wish to thank all of you for your constant support and positive feedbacks! It's great to have such a knowledgeful community here. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those of you how want a reminder of my system build list, here goes:

1) Alpine CDA-9833 swingface head unit with removable face and CD/CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA playback and XM satellite radio
2) Alpine Type-X SPX-F17T flagship series 3-way component speaker system
3) JL Audio 300/4 class AB 4-channel stereo amplifier
4) JL Audio 500/1 class D monoblock subwoofer amplifier
5) 1 JL Audio 12W6V2 subwoofer dual 4 ohms configuration
6) JL Audio ProWedge sealed enclosure for subwoofer (1.25 cu/ft)
7) Metra Radio kit 99-7414
8 )Optima Red Top Battery (800 cold cranking amps)
9) Phoenix Gold RCA cables, 16 gauge speaker wires, 4 gauge power wires, battery poles, fuse holder and distribution block
10) Cascade Audio Engineering V-Block 2 sound dampening all around the car
11) Custom fiberglass tweeter pods and kick panels
12) Tsunami 1-Farad capacitator
13) Custom amplifier rack

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Well done! Visit the southern US so I can listen to your system :)

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
Is there an official website for the rules and all that. I was always curious how my setup would rank, although I don't have a sub yet, I still think it sounds damn nice.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
placenta said:
man.. thats exciting.. makes me wanna make a system again..

must.... restrain...
To help with your restraint, just remeber how hard it was to get bass to creep into your car :)

and if you do get a system... you should compete :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! And yes, competing is very fun. My two passions are performance and audio, so I like dragracing and competing in SQ events. When you become an IASCA member, they send you a kit with a complete rule book as well as a membership card, stickers to stick on your windows during competitions (+5 points) and the oooooo so nice SQ Competition CD that they play during competitions to judge sound Q.

The hard part of competiting in IASCA (vs MECA) is that they don't only judge the sound quality. The also judge your installation and system integrity (proper wire size, proper fusing, proper wire termination, proper protection such as tie-wraps every 6 inches and seperating power from speaker wires, gromits, lumex, sturdiness of custom equipment). The judges nit-pick on everything and WILL find any flaw your system has. Trust me. And most of the time, it's either full points or zero. You also get judged on your presentation: a 5-10 minute oral presentation of your audio setup. Then there's an SPL run (yeah, it sucks to have that in SQ) to see if your system is versatile. Finaly, there's the RTA portion where they put a mic sensitive to frequencies to check for system playback at all frequencies, which must not vary more than +/- 3db at each frequency.

You also have to be prepared with a complete photo log book of your install, because what the judges can't see, they can't score and you lose big points. I learned that the hard way. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know where I could get boots (any kind, rubber or plastic) for my battery poles? I don't know what brand they are, but you can check them out on my website, www.membres.lycos.fr/orangevee under the sound system pictures...

Also, where can I find boots for my capacitator poles? It's a Tsunami Power Thumper 1-Farad capacitator...

The shop I deal with doesn't seem to find any...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. So I just spent 300$ to make the judges happy (bastards) and correct the only categories I lost little points in. I upgraded the ground wire to 4 gauge to match my power wire kit's size, I put lumex on all wires up to the end, I upgraded my fuse holder to a Lightning Audio wafer fuse holder good for 100A, I upgraded my Phoenix Gold battery terminals for some Lightning Audio Strike platinum battery terminals with protective boots, I made sure the wire going from the positive pole to the fuse holder was no longer than 18 inches and finaly, I tied every wire down properly with a lot of tie-wraps. I hope they're happy now. ;)

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
Damn, thats a lot of work for just cleaning up an install. I'll stick to racing :)
You guys can have all those audio competitions

·
the only 500whp spec-v
1,184 Posts
ok,did you get pics of the zip tied cables?

i went to world finals on 02with my friend.he finished 4th in the pro601 iirc.it was a blast,i got to meet alot of cool people like :nick wingate,gary biggsthe guy that had the 240sx,mark eldridge and a whole lot more.i also got to meet nicole from ma audio.she was so hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts