B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speakers or Head Unit? I'm not looking to upgrade really fast, due to money problems, but I do want to get started. I've got what you all have, but what should I do first? If I do upgrade the speakers, will the factory H/U do alright?

------------------
Marvin
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
46 Posts
i would definately upgrade the headunit first. i actually upgraded all four speakers first and the bass was really lacking because the factory deck just doesnt put out much power. The biggest sound improvement youll get will be from a new headunit and plus the factory speakers arent THAT bad.

------------------
2000 gxe avalanche..
L/P and C/P

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know anything about audio, but I am woundering can we add an amp and keep the original factory head unit and get better sound? I think it's pretty hard to find an aftermarket head unit to match the interior of the car.

·
Registered
778 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LKG:
I don't know anything about audio, but I am woundering can we add an amp and keep the original factory head unit and get better sound? I think it's pretty hard to find an aftermarket head unit to match the interior of the car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is none, thats why you have to buy the filler plate. check the other topics in this forum. they have links to where you can get a filler plate. peace out.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Marvin,,,,Bro go with the headunit first I did and let me tell you it sounded alot better then do the interior speakers and amps and what not.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LKG:
I don't know anything about audio, but I am woundering can we add an amp and keep the original factory head unit and get better sound? I think it's pretty hard to find an aftermarket head unit to match the interior of the car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can buy the installation kits thru www.jltroy.com they also have them where you can match the color of your interior.........you have to order over the phone though or e-mail them to find out how to place an order.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you guys think? I was thinking of the new Pioneer Premier Head Units..like the 830, I think it was? If I don't go with Pioneer, I want to go with Alpine. :)

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm surprised to hear everyone recommend
a head-unit upgrade first...especially for
someone on a budget.

The rear speakers SUCK...! Just replacing
them, and disconnecting the sub, will make
the system sound 100% better, and he can
spend $100, instead of $200+ on a head-unit.

Just my .02

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof.

PR CAI (in da mail), Kenwood KFC-1738Cs (in da back), gas cap holder (on da side)

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Ya, I agree with UtahJ. I think the best upgrade path for limited budgets is the rear speakers. I'm quite happy with the sound quality of my car now - I upgraded to Pioneer 3 ways for the rears.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I've went to Circuit City and I checked out their speakers. They don't seem to have 6 3/4's, do they? All I see is 6 1/2's on display. If I do it myself..say order my own, it should be relatively simple to take out and put in? Sorry about the questions, and yes, I do shop at Circuit City. :p

------------------

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marvin:
Okay, I've went to Circuit City and I checked out their speakers. They don't seem to have 6 3/4's, do they? All I see is 6 1/2's on display. If I do it myself..say order my own, it should be relatively simple to take out and put in? Sorry about the questions, and yes, I do shop at Circuit City. :p

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So do I but no I have never seen anything bigger than 6 1/2's either there,,,,but did you ever get those installation instructions someone posted a while back?????If not send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail them to you,,,cause I saved them....It doesn't seem like it'll be to hard of an installation but it does look like it'll be time consuming.....

------------------

MODS:
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, I would love those installation instructions man. Just email me them, pretty please?

Also, you went with those 636i's or something like that? Why? I'm partial to Pioneer, but I guess I want to see if I can get a hold of some good speakers for cheap online somewhere..

------------------

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marvin:
Hey, I would love those installation instructions man. Just email me them, pretty please?

Also, you went with those 636i's or something like that? Why? I'm partial to Pioneer, but I guess I want to see if I can get a hold of some good speakers for cheap online somewhere..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes I went with the infinity's but I haven't installed them yet......

And the instructions will be in your e-mail....

------------------

MODS:
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited April 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Gene, once again!

Wow, does Crutchfield have a good speaker sale right now! I think I might just hit that up soon. :)

------------------

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thanks Gene, once again!

Wow, does Crutchfield have a good speaker sale right now! I think I might just hit that up soon. :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah they still have the Infinity's on sale for $99.95 which you'll save about $50 bucks there

Or you can go with the
Rockford Fosgate- FRC1206 2-ways for $59.95

OR
Polk-EX Series II buy one set at $99.95 and get a second set half of which comes to about $150 for 2 sets,,,so you can replace the fronts also.......

Check em out man they have some pretty good stuff and at pretty good prices,,I've ordered thru them for years....And if you buy speakers from them they give you wiring harness's for the speakers so you don't have to cut any factory wiring......

------------------

MODS:
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited April 19, 2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts