B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this done to their cars? I want instead of having just a plain wooden rectangular box made for my 3 JL's I want to want them to make my trunk Fiber Glass so it can be more like a round shape to it because I would really like mine custom. Anyone want to share some good advice?

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can't believe I missed this. Check out my site Chino, I have a ton of fiberglass stuff built for my 200SX. Even have detailed pics. of different stuff. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line!

------------------
late,
wes
my site

[This message has been edited by wes (edited February 16, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
fiberglass would be fine for free air speakers but for subs..... enclosed box made with by spec will give your subs optimum performance

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
WHat do you mean fine for free air? DO you think that fiberglass boxes cannot be sealed or made for a certain internal volume. Fiberglass boxes are GREAT for ALL applications! But as stated, they should always be built to the manufacturers specs. for internal volume! I have made several, and they were ALL sealed and ALL were built to manufacturers specs.! Everyone sounded great! Not to mention that fiberglass can be made much more rigid than just about any wood!

------------------
late,
wes
my site

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i would have thought that fiberglass would crack from all the vibration..... if you were talking about fiberglass housing for kick panels and doors.... than fiberglass should be cool.... but for subs.... I would go with a box

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys but unfortunately i will not be going for fiberglass cuz over here dealers told me it's too expensive and i will take their word. How much do you have them wes?

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
NO, fiberglass is GREAT for sub-enclosures! It can be made much more rigid than MDF. If built correctly (thick enough), you can get the same, or better, results with fiberglass that you can with wood. Actually there are TONS of SQ competitors that use fiberglass sub enclosures! And yes, custom fiberglass enclosures can be very costly! If you are on a budget, either do it yourself with fiberglass, or go with an MDF enclosure!

------------------
late,
wes
my site

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i see... i will consider a fiber glass enclosure now..... i am thinking of hooking up my trunk.... but i dont want to loose the spare........ what to do???

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is a MDF enclosure? And how can I do it myself? LIke, where can i get the fiberglass and other stuff? I would attempt it if it can happen. HOller bak WES

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
MDF stand for medium density fiber board, it's one of the most common materials used to build enclosures. You would typically use MDF in place of say, particle board, or other types of wood. It's in-expensive and is easy to cut! It's also dense, which makes it great for speaker enclosures! You can pick it up at the local Home Depot or the like. Or you can make one out of fiberglass, typically glass boxes start out with an MDF frame and then fiberglass is laid in the desired area to get make use of the contours in the spare tire well, or whatever area you wish to use. I would suggest reading the information on my site, even though it is regarding kick panel construction, it is a very good starting point for learning to build things with fiberglass! Once you have checked that out, I'd be happy to answer questions for you! Also you will need to be able to determine internal volume if you want to make a box that is worth a ****. SO here's the formula for that.

Height x Width x Depth = Internal volume in cubic inches.

To translate cubic inches to cubic feet.

IV in cubic inches / 1728

This should get you on your way! And remember that this is internal volume, so you'll have to accomodate for woofer displacement and materials!

------------------
late,
wes
my site

1 - 10 of 10 Posts