B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
F*ck You Hippies
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about a month ago.... i had the tell tell signs of butterfly screw ingestion... bad noises spark plug smashed shut. Well it was misfiring even after i changed all the plugs. SO i decided well the dealer prob wont work on it but ill give it a try.. took it in told them specifically that i thought the butterfly screws had went through the engine on the number 4 cyl..how much more specific can a customer get.... they called me later said they wouldnt work on it but the problem with my car was my header and aftermarket plugs.. they did borescope the cylinder though so at least i know it wasnt totally fubared cause they said the walls werent carved up or anything. so i had the service manager call me trying to get him to borescope the intake manifold and he wouldnt do it I laughed at the service manager that told me this.. argued with him for 1/2 an hour asking him "how could a header cause your sparkplug to get smashed shut and a bunch of the carbon deposits on the top of the piston to get tore up??" he kept giving me stupid answers and obviously hadnt a clue about anything automitive. So i finally asked him if he had even ever worked on a car at which point he hung up on me. [email protected]

well picked up my car and drove it for awhile like that cause i just didnt have time to look at it... it ran fine below 4000 rpm just low on power and above that misfired. SO when i got a chance i did a couple easy thing thinking the whole time i was going to end up taking the intake apart but what the hell gave it a shot.

Tested the compression all good and almost exactly the same, cleaned the air filter just cause it needed done, and widened the gap on the plugs just a hair. well it started running better but still not right as in grandmas in buick skylarks seemed to have more power .

So i got time this weekend to finally take the intake apart went and got two butterfly screws off my spare engine (which also had a bunch loose) hoping i didnt need to but just in case since its 15 miles to my dads house. I get to my dads take the intake apart and lo and behold not just one but two butterfly screws are missing..FROM THE SAME CYLINDER. Well imgaine my suprise considering i had no idea where the butterfly valve was. till my dad and i got a mirror and a light and all the way back against the cylider head i see a little shiny brass plate standing straight up and down. So at this point even more dreading all this we tried to hook it and pull it out without taking the intake all the way off but it just wasnt happening so i took the rest of the intake off and find the butterfly valve totally jammed into the cylinder head i had to pry hard as hell to get it out. but it wasnt damaged so i reused it along with my acquired spare screws put it back together and shes running perfect while i was at it of course i loctited the other screws and tightened them back up they were all slightly loose but at least they were there... wish i would have had pics for this i just couldnt believe how it was wedged in ther almost totally blocking the intake port for the cylinder.

Its amazing it wasnt misfiring all the time. anyway sorry so long but be warned for all those who havent taken your butterfly valves seriously check them and CHECK THEM NOW... i only had 23000 miles when mine got sucked in. but at leat i dont appear to have any permenant damage

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Daaam, you should've taken a few pics of the mmissling screws and loose plate to stuff it in Nissan service managers face....

take that *BEATCH SLAP*

congrats on getting it fixed.

Data collection thread has 22% at this point, basicly every 4th or 5th person who opened up the head found missing screws. I think that should be enough evidence to start drafting a serious letter to nissan.... wish I had more time on my hands.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
pretty scary stuff... it's amazing that they jsut don't shot peen the screws... bah.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
nissan dealerships are such ****ing assholes, it actually gets me angry.... i still cant concieve how a legitamite business can be ran, with all the constant lying... why dont they just do honest business and be done with it? seems like much less of a hassle. they tried to deny my transmission warrenty because i had lowering springs? wtf.... anyways the real way to get them to do warrenty work on your car, which has worked for me 3 out of 3 times now. is just get on the phone with nissan corporate and theyll force them to do the work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts