B15 Sentra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 2001 GXE I heard i could go to a guy and have my springs heated so that it lowers the car....how is this good and bad? I heard about the negative camber, but I'd only do it like an inch to an inch and a half. I'd like peeps opinions if possible...also I'll add it would be $40 to do the whole thing. thanks peeps

·
Registered
111 Posts
i dont know about that one though but i am planning on buying a Eibach sprtlines for my ride. unfortunatly :( i to have the gxe with out the PP shocks or whatever. i think all we need is aftermarket shocks, i dont know what struts are or if they will effect anything. i to haave a question, i like to race alot and will the eibach drop effect my racing ability i.e. slower/faster. who sells the springs for less and what type of springs are there ,like the different kind of drops?

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Eibachs will increase your drive ability. They are lower which gives you a close hug to the street. The closer you are the better handling you will get. The sportlines will give you a 1.5 - 1.75" drop wjile the Prokit will give you an even 1" drop. Although the sportline is a lower drop, the prokit is beeter for racing becuase its a more performance spring vise the sportline which is more for show. I got some sportlines for sale. Its brand new and never been out the box. Its yours for 180. plus shipping.

To go back to the "heating" of the springs........not recommended!!! It is not safe and it will decrease your performance. There is no shocks or struts for our cars, but if you wanna live the ghetto life and heat the springs, then go ahead, but if you care about your new car...then give it the best!!! Hopefully this information helped out all. If you need any more questioins answered speak to SentraStyling or Sr20deRenaiSSance. Laterz

Enemigo!

·
Registered
119 Posts
heating springs falls in the same category as cutting coils, CLAMPING coils (yeah, i've seen it), etc....

Dont waste your time by messing with your springs. As far as I know there are no companies making any good struts for our cars, so I wouldnt buy different springs till then.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yes it could be done,,,but to put as simple as I can it's generaly not good cause look at it this way every spring is designed to do a job a certain way,,,now when you heat the stock coils you're taking away from it's perfomance,,,another words it's not really acting like it's supposed to...but when you buy say a set of Eibach's or another brand and you compare the stock and the Eibach together you'll notice a difference in how the coils are spun,,,,Look at the pictures below and you'll see what I'm talking about....

This is the rears side by side

And here's the front's side by side

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, now who can tell me how much those prokit springs are? and the guy sellin those sportlines for $180....are those for GXE's too? I don't have the cash now, unfortunately....but that is a good buy. i'm figuring my next move is an intake. i have to do all my modding this summer while I make money, cause in college I'll barely make the monthly payment. thanks guys

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
The springs will fit a GXE, the prokits are about 225+, they are more expensive because its better quality and better peformance

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'd buy them off you if i had the cash....unfortunately, it'll be a couple of weeks before I get enough. Well, I guess I'll talk to you in a couple weeks if you don't unload them before then, hehe, I'm not sure yet tho, cause I want to get a CAI too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hey i am interested in your sportlines, but how much will aftermarket shocks and struts be because i am running low on money. i know they are not made yet but i would be weary of putting the springs on if i will bottom out alot. if i wanted the prokit, where is the best place to buy them from, who sells them cheaper? but wil the sprtinse really decrease my performance because i want a drop like about 1.5 or so but with still godd perfomrmace. 225 is alot just for a 1 inch drop. i f you still have them in about 2 weeks i will take them from you. whyt dont u wnat them?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why would sportlines decrease your performance:eek:? i would think the lower you are the more control you would have set me straight if im wrong

·
Former Boosted B15
1,652 Posts
Like I said before, the Sportlines will not decrease your performance. Anything aftermarket you do to your springs will increase your performance overall. Eibach is very good with thier springs. Trust me,,,, they are great and hug the road very nicely!.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dont forget though that our cars have limited suspension travel and most lowering springs will cut it in half. if its not a big drop you might be one of the lucky ones and youre struts will be fine but more often than not you will end up ruining your stock struts, so be ready to buy some after markets.

as for heating the springs, i did it on my b12 and was lucky enough to be one of the people to keep the original struts. but my springs got so week that when i put my 2 12 inch subs with box in it lowered the car 1.5 inches. if its between cutting them and heating them id rather cut them. people say that you will bounce all over the place, but again, thats because you cut your suspension travel.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
the eibach springs aren't the greatest, if you can get another spring for your application (aren't all b15's the same?)

then do it, get a progress spring (but not an intrax spring) or something like that.

the spring rates on the eibachs are ok, but not great.

cutting and heating springs is extremely rice, and not a good idea at all.

if you're really serious about racing, buy coilovers instead of springs.

·
Now I have two boys!
2,356 Posts
Pditty nailed it. Go progress, and still pray for AGX's -OR- get GC or Tein Coilovers, which I thought neither had been released for B15 yet though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
heating coils isn't a good idea ... unless it is done by a coil spring company. reason is the heat is not going to be exactly the same on each spring, sag will be different, coils can end up brittle and warp or break ... hope that helps ... save up some bucks and get aftermarkets ... if you absolutely have to go cheap, have them cut. still not good, changes rate and ride lots and not in a good way usually, i have done it ... won't do it again except very short term ... james

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
WHOA! i just read this thread and say chimmike posted it..im like wtf? chimmike asking about heating springs :confused:. then i say the post date..haha newbie chimmike :D

and now to make up for my whoring..when u heat the spring you hurt the strength of the metal

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
b_nth_u said:
heating coils isn't a good idea ... unless it is done by a coil spring company. reason is the heat is not going to be exactly the same on each spring, sag will be different, coils can end up brittle and warp or break ... hope that helps ... save up some bucks and get aftermarkets ... if you absolutely have to go cheap, have them cut. still not good, changes rate and ride lots and not in a good way usually, i have done it ... won't do it again except very short term ... james
suggestion for the future, before reviving a thread that's nearly 4 years old, please look at the POST DATE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.