B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting an exhaust (finally), and I know I have been out of the loop for a while so I apologize.

I had a $tillen exhaust on my 92 SER, and that exhaust was pretty loud. How do the HKS and the Strom. compare? I want a better exhaust with more power, but I don't want ricey or obnoxious.

Thank

·
Registered
605 Posts
From what I hear the stromung sounds pretty much stock until 3500rpms. Then it's a deep growl. I don't have it so I can't confirm nor deny. But everyone here seems to say that.

About the HKS? who knows....

G

·
The Stromung is nice and Mellow. Below 3,500RPM, it has a nice low tone. It's not a heck of a lot louder than stock. It's not intrusive at all. Above 3,500 it gets better. Unlike many buzzy exhaust, the Stromung doesn't keep getting louder as your reach redline. It seems to peak out around 4-5K RPM. Honestly, I rolled down my windows to hear more of it. hahaha. I know a few other people that do the same. It's really nice. :D

The Stromung is very temperature sensitive. When cold, it is VERY quiet. You wouldn't think the car had an exhaust if you didn't know it was down there. It has to warm up before it gets noticeable.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with Max. The Stromung is very quiet when cold,
but gets louder when it's warmed up. I suspect it is
due to the second cat. flowing better once it is up to
temperature.

I have to say that I love the sound of the Stromung while
I'm outside the car, but inside it gets to me sometimes.
I actually ordered a resonator, in hopes that it will
eliminate some of the drone. I toyed with the idea of
dynamating the entire trunk and rear floor, but the resonator was cheaper,
and there isn't a performance loss.

I don't think the drone is the fault of the muffler, but rather the shape of the car,
and the dynamics of the sound bouncing around underneath. It's not an ultra annoying
buzz like the rice mufflers, but I always know it's there.

'Course I'm old, and I'm picky about noise. I believe that you can have excellent
performance without having to sound like you do. Stealth man... stealth.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i've met up with fran today and he has the hks super dragger. and he said my exh is much quieter than his. i have a stromung which doesnt make any noise at idle, but screams when the rpm is up there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
joeberez- this is a little off topic but man u missed an awesome chicago meet
go under midwest and they have pics there

·
Registered
940 Posts
i use the new stillen exhuast with removed resonator. nice growl at idle. sounds better when revved up. ddep tone, not like the rice lawnmower of the hondas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts