B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thing is, ordering a full Stromung Catback from the US would probably cost me WAY too much, I know its bolt on, but ***** the price, plus exchange, shipping and taxes !!!

Is it that hard to go with an exhaust that isnt bolt on ?

Cause I know I can get tons of exhausts that are just as great probable even better, but for half the price I would have to pay from ordering from the US.

So what are your opinions, Bolt on, or not ? is it that important ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The beauty of the Stromung isn't just that it is custom made and bolts on, but also that it is stainless, mandrel bent, sounds great, and can be had with, or without, a
resonator.

G

·
Well....if the exhaust isn't a bolt on for the Sentra, it is probably gonna be pretty hard to install it on one! :) I think you answered your own question there.

If you think you can build your own system that is of equal quality of the Stromung, go for it. However, you'll notice that WAY more people have the Stromung vs. a custom made exhaust on the board. There is a reason.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that, but it comes back to the same question.

I can easily get, a very good quality exhaust, stainless, mandreled, great sound, and resonator, for cheaper, here in montreal.

So the only advantage the stromung has for me, is bolt-on. The rest is a non-issue I guess.

Hmm, maybe Im answering my own question :)

Plus its not just price, time = money, the hassel of ordering from the US, and it is a BIG hassel, plus sometimes 2 week wait at customs for things they dont understand.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I had my car, I had decided against a stromung exhaust. I was planning to get a 5Zigen universal muffler. I called one of the best muffler shops in Miami and got a quote. They jacked up my car to see what was necessary, and the guy told me that it would be relatively easy for him to do.

$260 for custom mandrel bent 2.25" midpipe and install. I would have to supply the muffler since they did not carry 5zigen.

If you are considering doing it yourself, then the stromung option is definately better. You wouldn't have to get the midpipe made and have to worry about it not fitting etc. But if you use the stromung system it is going to more expensive then if you took it to a local shop! This is one of the rare times that "do-it-yourself" just isn't worth it.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Bolt on was important to my decision because I want to do it myself, yet be able to just fit it in that much easier. I was all about doing the totally custom, but the Stromung was definitely was a great deal. No Sentra around here has it, and it looks tight and like stock. Doesn't bring attention, and that's what I wanted in the first place.

In the end, I don't think it matters depending on the look, sound, quality and price that you are looking for. Of course time and all that play in the factor. :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
How much IS the Stromung Catback anyways?

And how much will change with it?
... still a newbie....

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
.. and what does it look like?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Alex said:
How much IS the Stromung Catback anyways?

And how much will change with it?
... still a newbie....

.. and what does it look like?
Well, the Stromung is $550. How much will change with it, I would assume you mean performance, sound, and looks? Lots, definitely! The sounds is very nice and deep, the performance really opens up past 4000 RPMS and the looks are stock, but you can still tell the difference when compared.

The look is basically a 2 and a quarter inch midpipe that is stainless steel and mandrel bent. The muffler is dual 3" tips, stainless steel. Both combine to be a pretty sweet deal.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
That is some sweet stuff there. Man $550 tho... Well, better start saving up... that'll be after the CAI tho...

I'm gonna have to find another job

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Yeah, I need more money to feed my need for speed. :)

The Stromung killed my cash flow..but I got the CAI at around the same time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you live in Canada, then just go find a good universal muffler and get it custom fitted to your car. Just get the piping done by a reputable guy. The stromung is nice but it's not the end all be all of exhausts. It's just nice that someone out there supports the b15 community. But if you have to pay a premium for customs and stuff like that, then you'd be paying way too much for the Stromung.

Look for a 5Zigen, Tanabe, or Apex muffler with tip and get it custom fitted. The results will be the similar but will save you a lot of time and money. Good luck.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
RadiumJohn said:
If you live in Canada, then just go find a good universal muffler and get it custom fitted to your car. Just get the piping done by a reputable guy. The stromung is nice but it's not the end all be all of exhausts. It's just nice that someone out there supports the b15 community. But if you have to pay a premium for customs and stuff like that, then you'd be paying way too much for the Stromung.

Look for a 5Zigen, Tanabe, or Apex muffler with tip and get it custom fitted. The results will be the similar but will save you a lot of time and money. Good luck.
Most definitely that RJ knows what he's talking about. If I had to do it over, and with how many people have Stromung, I would probably try to custom fabricate using a Apex or 5Z muffler with maybe the Stromung Mid Pipe or have someone that knows how to make one that a way. Whatever you do Alex, I hope it turns out nice. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
theres a real good shop in jersey that does custom pipping "real good"...that's where I did mine. muffler = 200 and pipping (mandrel bent 3" pipping) $160..all for 360 :)

Jeff-

·
Registered
816 Posts
Now if we can just get that guy from NJ to open a shop in Canada. :)

Actually, in NY and NJ, there are tons of shops that do good work for cheap. It's harder to find places like that outside of the NY/NJ area. Like in Boston, I still have a hard time finding people who are willing to work on lowered cars (not my sentra but my late honda, r.i.p). I figure Canada is even tougher, eh?

·
Registered
0 Posts
RadiumJohn said:
Now if we can just get that guy from NJ to open a shop in Canada. :)

Actually, in NY and NJ, there are tons of shops that do good work for cheap. It's harder to find places like that outside of the NY/NJ area. Like in Boston, I still have a hard time finding people who are willing to work on lowered cars (not my sentra but my late honda, r.i.p). I figure Canada is even tougher, eh?
There are a lot of shops that does it in NY/NJ area..but the one I'm talking about is by far one of the most reputable one...it's called MUFFLEX located in Trenton, NJ (5 minutes away from my school)...and a lot of local racers take their car there to get stuff done because they do your pipping right unlike many other BS shops that just bend the pippings (a friend of mine did his sentra in massachusetts and dude screwed it up big time).

Jeff-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts