B15 Sentra Forum banner

Engine symptoms?

801 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  enyce07 
#1 ·
Hey I searched for a problem i'm having with my car that I can't figure out... has anyone had these same symptoms? Everytime I start my car for the 1st time of the day or for a good few hours interval, theres a weird knocking sound or like a tapping sound coming from the engine... I read about that it could be a rod or possibly a loose timing chain? I just need some ideas of what it might be... also another sympton is that the car idles fine, but is running rough to the point where the front of the car is almost shaking, can feel it by holding the steering wheel easily...
Thanks

Discussion starter · #4 ·
specjoe said:
bring it in
i'm not letting any mechanic at the dealership even come close to my car... i've had bad experiences so far with the idiots over there...
I might know a guy that can take care of it for me, but hes not too familiar with nissans... :(

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Sentrase00 said:
could be someone in the engine trying to get out?? J/K
damn you have had some problems with your car latley. Try this have someone start up your car in these conditions then you should put a big screw driver up to random parts on the engine like the head and the block and try to listen to find where the knock is coming from.
Matt
that actually works?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
JohnO said:
Man you are killing your car. This im sure is related to the overheating and damage was done to the car.

1) does the knocking sound like you were taping metal against metal almost like a jingle very ping like.. or it more of a clattering sounds.

2) have you been checking your coolant levels at the radiator are they low???
How about your oil levels???

3) does the check engine light blink at any point in time all??? is it on???

4) how does it feel when you are drive??? can you hear it then??

These question will help diagnose your problem a little bit more..
yea I know... damn this car... just a PITA!
well answers to #1 - yea only when I start the car at a cold start is when I'll hear the sound very clearly.. its kind of like both if you want to put it at that... but not really a ping-like sound
#2 - I just went this morning to check the radiator, opened it up and looked inside (this is when its completely cold) and I didn't see any coolant up to the top... It comes to the top when the car is running...BUT the resevoir tank is full (filled to the max line)...
#3 - CEL doesn't come on at all
#4- after driving my car for about 5 mins, it drives perfectly fine.. of course with a definitely feel of some power loss, but very little... after driving the car for a few mins, or even just a few blocks... the sound is gone by then... but the car is idling fine, the front chassis has too much vibration when in park or even drive.. (I have an auto)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.