B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Actual Size
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A day in the life of a 2000 Sentra GXE driver...

900pm-- I get out of work and drive home. Car is acting perfectly normal.

930pm-- I get home, change clothes, and head out to pick up my girlfreind (who live about 30 minutes away). The car is acting fine.

1000pm-- I get off the freeway and stop at the stop sign. I turn on to Northern and start accelerting up to the posted 45 mph. I hit about 40, and my engine start shaking and making a REALLY loud clancking noise and just dies. I put the car in nuetral real fast and coast off the side of the road on to the dirt shoulder. I call and tell my girlfreind that I'm gonna be late.

1005pm-- I try to take a look and see what is wrong. All the lights and music still works. I never got a SES light. The AC is still blowing. When I try to start it, it cranks, but won't start. All it does is make that loud clancking noise and backfire a whole bunch.

1015pm-- I open my hood and try to look around. Everything on the outside appears normal. I get down on the ground only to discover that the K&N filter had somehow fallen off of my CAI and my car had been sucking un-filtered air directly into the motor. Ouch.

1025pm-- I take out the spark plugs, and take off the engine cover so I can look around in the engine to see if there is anything in there. I don't see anything, no metal shavings, no debrea, nothing.

1030pm-- My girlfreind comes and meets me on the road. Still, I try to see if I can get the car running again.

1100pm-- We call Triple A towing.

1130pm-- Triple A shows up and says that I'm not covered by them anymore because my car is lowered. They refuse to tow me.

1200am-- My girlfreinds dad tries to get my car up on to his quad trailer, my car bottoms out on it. He can't do it.

100am-- After calling 7 different tow companies, I finally get one that will tow a lowered car.

130am-- The tow truck shows up. He looks at it and still doesn't know if he can do it.

200am-- He gets the car up on to the truck. My girlfreind goes home and I get in the truck with the tow guy.

230am-- We arrive at the garage near my house where I take my car to get fixed. I have my mom come pick me up.

300am-- I get home at go to sleep.

(I sleep for 4 and half hours)

730am-- I get up and go to the garage, they open at 8.

800am-- I get there and tell them what happened. They tell me that they will check it out and give me a call.

1230pm-- I'm sitting here right now waiting for them to call. They close at 2, and they aren't open on Sundays, so who knows how long it will take to get my car fixed. I have work every day and I start school next week. How will I get down to campus? No one knows...

·
Actual Size
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they have MAFs, but im pretty sure thats not the problem. I have had the MAF go out once already, and the car didnt act like this. Who knows. This sucks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
damn man
ur filter fell off? where did it go? or did it come off and fall onto the road somewhere while driving i guess? didnt think it would be able to ljust fall out onto the road... atleast not on my spec i dont think it would. dunno how its set up in the gxe tho. well anyway hope things work out for u somehow

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle. Is the Power train waranty done??

·
Actual Size
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UnderJerseySkie said:
damn man
ur filter fell off? where did it go? or did it come off and fall onto the road somewhere while driving i guess? didnt think it would be able to ljust fall out onto the road... atleast not on my spec i dont think it would. dunno how its set up in the gxe tho. well anyway hope things work out for u somehow
I didn't think it could fall off either. The filter is just held on to the intake tube by one of those metal clamp things that you tighten with a screwdriver. I guess it wasn't tight enough and I must have hit a bump at some point and it fell off.

·
Actual Size
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adc100 said:
How many miles on the vehicle. Is the Power train waranty done??
I have 62k on the car. I still am under the warrenty, but the dealership isn't going to cover my car. I have intake, header, exhaust, pulley, and advanced igintion timing. They will just send me on my way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
when my maf died, the car shut off, but it did turn over again, it was just in gimp mode, so it may not be your MAF. crappy luck guy, good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
SHIFT_1.8 said:
I didn't think it could fall off either. The filter is just held on to the intake tube by one of those metal clamp things that you tighten with a screwdriver. I guess it wasn't tight enough and I must have hit a bump at some point and it fell off.
damn. im gonna go check the tightness on my k&n now.

good luck tho let us know what happens

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
3,180 Posts
i say pay the shop to reinstall all ur old parts (order em if u need to) and then take it in for a new engine... then they can cover u, pretend ur car is stock and itll still be cheaper than buying a new engine... also usually the powertrain ends at 60k miles

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
sounds like the MAF to me.........

Don't label a thread "engine go bye bye" if you don't know what the hell broke dude............

·
Actual Size
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chimmike said:

Don't label a thread "engine go bye bye" if you don't know what the hell broke dude............
Eat my *** dude, all I know is that I'm sitting at home on a saturday night while my non-running car is sitting in a shop. Now i have to ride shot gun in my girlfeinds piece of crap car.

·
Registered
897 Posts
SHIFT_1.8 said:
Eat my *** dude, all I know is that I'm sitting at home on a saturday night while my non-running car is sitting in a shop. Now i have to ride shot gun in my girlfeinds piece of crap car.
lol.. I think its the other way around :D
Her car is running... thats all that matters really for the purpose of a car... get to Point B from Point A in one piece safely...
As for your car, dunno man but i'm wondering how your filter could have fell off... the clamp must have been loose... also don't you have the inner fender lining sealed off right below the intake and filter are at? the filter should have been stuck right below the intake at least... It's probably a MAF problem in this case... maybe fouled spark plugs? Well at least you have a ride around...

·
Registered
430 Posts
chimmike said:

I agree. If the MAF has a protective screen in it like the SpecV's then you should be able to tell if you sucked in something big bec. there would be a big hole in that screen

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
the MAF simply bounced off somewhere, prolly breaking it. the filter probably fell off in the process......it's a perfectly logical explanation.....................can't just claim the engine is nuked.

when my MAF went bad, the car shuddered to a halt and wouldn't restart. the mechanics at the shop i luckily pulled into thought it was the fuel pump LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
damn that sucks man. my intake filter fell off on me on the highway a while back and i ran that thing over and i just put a sock on it.LOL

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
UnderJerseySkie said:
damn. im gonna go check the tightness on my k&n now.
Werd :eek:

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
angel2167882 said:
What about CPS (Crank Position Sensor)? 2000 XE/GXE as been subject TWICE to CPS recall and the sympthom look like really similar of what is described here...
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Recalls/Sentra/2000.htm
the car wouldn't shudder.........it simply wouldn't start at all.........it would have died right off.

I think it's a MAF problem simply because of the filter missing. Isn't there a scientific statement that says "the simplest explanation is usually correct"

Ahh yes, Occam's Razor. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts