B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I want to paint the lettering on my valve cover instead of polishing it or painting the whole thing. My question is where would I get a can or bottle of high temp paint for that instead of the spray can kind that I find at parts stores and Walmart? Should I head to Home Depot? :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I couldn't find any high heat paint except for the spray stuff around here so what I did was take a couple paper plates and just spray the paint on there until there was engouh that it was liquidy, then just use a paint brush and use it like normal paint. It works really well.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
ahhh just to add to amy's suggestion ,,,,I would seriously suggest that you go to any cleaning aisle in your grocery store and pick yourself up a set of rubber gloves that does get messy...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
HEY marvin I am waiting for the valve cover gasket to arrive at my house and once it does I am going to polish it so it's nice an shiny like chrome and I'm going to also paint the letters red....It'll be a long and painfull process but worth it...

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Here is a pic of my engine bay. I have since redone the lettering in silver to match the strut bar and CAI and cleaned up all the over spray. I didn't take it off b.c I didn't have the gasket and I had to do it right then b.c my cuz has already sprayed some paint on it and it looked dumb. You definantly have to have a steady hand to do the tiny letters perfectly. But when its all done its totally worth it.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Amy, that isn't such a bad idea, I think I'm going to do the same thing.

Damn it Brandon, I got your voice mail, I'm sorry that I haven't called you, but I'll call you a bit later today. I just got back on Wednesday and I had duty Thursday, I went to a going away party on Friday, and yesterday, I was just kicking it. Now I have **** to do, but I'll definitely call you!

Gene, thanks for the gloves suggestion, I'm going to need it. I think your valve cover will look super awesome after you polish it, I just don't have patience for that right now. :p

Also, can't I go get some really fine paint brushes, so that the painting the lettering won't be that bad? :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
See I'm always the one that has to do it perfect ,,,that's why I am getting the gasket and taking off the valve cover to polish it ,,,and then I'm painting the lettering after the polishing is done......But I hope the polishing comes out good:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hey Gene, you might not need a new gasket. I'm not sure if you have to put a new one on. When I did my polishing, I tool the cover off and the gasket was rubber and was glued with rubber stuff to the head. It didn't even move, when I was done polishing, I just lined it up and bolted it back on. Haven't had a problem yet. I hope I wasn't supposed to replace it. :confused:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well a half a dozen people told me I should replace it and then a half a dozen told me I didn't half to replace it...So I'm gonna just say screw and be on the safe side and replace it :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ok Well when it came time to paint the letters the only kind of brush i could find in my whole house was a lipstick brush. You know the little tiny brushes use for putting on the semi-liquid lipstick. Yeah its kinda weird but it was the perfect size for the tiny little letters. BTW here is a new pic of the engine bay.Only thing thats different is the letters are now silver,they don't stand out as much but looks much cleaner, overspray is gone, and the CAI is installed.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely looks tight Amy, great job. The CAI looks good too. I'm very glad I hooked up with a CAI, it makes the engine bay look that much better. I'll probably work on the painting on Saturday. :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

Well I recently painted my tower bar red and the hood prop red as well(not in this picture though).....But I am going to like I said polish my valve cover what do you guys think it'll look like with red lettering????? And I also have a polished oil cap that I am gonna wait to put on.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey senra stylingg under your hood is tight where did you get all your tubes i wanted to do the same thing just in yellow but i dont know where to get it

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts